Re: [scala-ide-user] Autocompletion problem

iulian dragos

Mar 1, 2013, 4:45:37 AM3/1/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marcus,

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 9:02 AM, Marcus Denison <denison...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hello there,

I've ran into the "The 'Scala Completion Proposal Computer' proposal computer from the 'org.scala-ide.sdt.core' plug-in did not complete normally. The extension took too long to return from the 'computeCompletionProposals()' operation." problem when hitting the Autocompletion.

But this only occurs in projects which use JavaFX.
In normal Java/Scala mixed projects it works without a problem. We are using Scala 2.9 at the moment.

This happens on
Eclipse 3.7.2 with Scala-IDE 2.1.0-M1, M2 and M3
Eclipse 4.2  with Scala-IDE 3.0-RC1

Although it works fine with Eclipse 3.7.2 and the Scala-IDE 2.0.2

Reading through https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/scala-ide-user/svelto/scala-ide-user/A1veVS53nC4/A0-qENi77UAJ I thought I might look at https://github.com/dragos/svelto but then again that is only for Scala 2.10, correct?

That is correct, but I can easily build a version for Scala 2.9. I'll follow up with a link.

Does anyone have any suggestions? How can I provide further information about my problem (logs etc.) ?

I think a stack trace while the completion proposal is blocking the UI thread is the best info we can get.

cheers,
iulian

Thanks in advance

Greetings

Marcus

« Je déteste la montagne, ça cache le paysage »
Alphonse Allais

iulian dragos

Marcus Denison

Mar 1, 2013, 5:34:36 AM3/1/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Lots of appreciation!

Marcus Denison

Mar 1, 2013, 7:07:47 AM3/1/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
I attached the threadDumps using Eclipse Juno SR1 with Scala-IDE 3.0-RC1 .

I also tried running Eclipse Juno SR2-RC3 with Scala-IDE 3.0-RC1 but that runs into the same error.

Greetings

Marcus
threadDumps.txt

iulian dragos

Mar 1, 2013, 10:57:57 AM3/1/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I didn't find anything immediately suspicious. Can you try disabling mark occurrences? Do you have "show breadcrumbs" enabled? Try to disable both.. the compiler is single-threaded, and all of them end up making calls in the compiler, and they end up waiting for one another. Maybe that's what delays the completion proposal and triggers the timeout.

Does this timeout happen every time (it's normal that the first time it's slow, the compiler needs to load symbols from jars and I noticed some threads doing just that).

cheers,
iulian

Clint Gilbert

Mar 1, 2013, 3:06:15 PM3/1/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com

I ran into the same problem several times yesterday. I'll create a
thread dump if it happens today.

I also noticed something similar, where if I hit crtl-space after
typing an un-imported class name, the expected completion proposal
would appear. If I hit enter to accept the proposal (I expect this to
add the needed import, as if I was working in Java) the UI would
freeze and one of my CPUs would be fully used. Eclipse would sit like
that fully pinning one CPU for 5 or 6 seconds, then the UI would
un-freeze, but no import would be added.

Both of these issues occurred with the latest RC, while working on a
mixed Scala-Java project that doesn't use JavaFX, but I've seen
similar behavior (intermittently) for a long time before upgrading.

On 03/01/2013 03:02 AM, Marcus Denison wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I've ran into the "The 'Scala Completion Proposal Computer'
> proposal computer from the 'org.scala-ide.sdt.core' plug-in did not
> complete normally. The extension took too long to return from the
> 'computeCompletionProposals()' operation." problem when hitting
> the Autocompletion.
>
> But this only occurs in projects which use JavaFX. In normal
> Java/Scala mixed projects it works without a problem. We are using
> Scala 2.9 at the moment.
>
> This happens on Eclipse 3.7.2 with Scala-IDE 2.1.0-M1, M2 and M3
> Eclipse 4.2 with Scala-IDE 3.0-RC1
>
> Although it works fine with Eclipse 3.7.2 and the Scala-IDE 2.0.2
>

> Reading through
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/scala-ide-user/svelto/scala-ide-user/A1veVS53nC4/A0-qENi77UAJ

I thought I might look at https://github.com/dragos/svelto but then
> again that is only for Scala 2.10, correct?
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions? How can I provide further
> information about my problem (logs etc.) ?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Greetings
>
> Marcus
>
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the
> Google Groups "Scala IDE User" group. To unsubscribe from this
> group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
> scala-ide-use...@googlegroups.com. For more options,
> visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Marcus Denison

Mar 4, 2013, 3:52:03 AM3/4/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

disabling them didn't help. The first time it only hangs a few seconds and works, the second time and after that it hangs and the error pops up.

Greetings

Marcus

Marcus Denison

Mar 4, 2013, 4:25:22 AM3/4/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Running with Juno SR2 and Scala-IDE 3.0-RC1 still runs into the same problem.

I narrowed the open projects down to six, which are usually 20+ projects that are open at the same time but that did not help either (That was just a random guess of mine).

I attached a new thread Dump, but probably there is nothing new to find in there.
threadDumps.txt

Marcus Denison

Mar 4, 2013, 5:50:15 AM3/4/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
The problem is somewhere in one of our projects.

Running Juno SR2 with Scala-IDE 3.0-RC1 in Java/Scala/JavaFX mixed project works flawlessy when our projects are closed.

If I do find that bug I will give further details.

iulian dragos

Mar 4, 2013, 6:09:55 AM3/4/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Marcus,

Thanks a lot for following up on this one. I'd really like to get to the bottom of this. I have a hunch about what could be wrong. Could you test a custom build of the IDE and let us know if it improves the situation?

cheers,
iulian

Marcus Denison

Mar 4, 2013, 7:12:10 AM3/4/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Iulian,

that sounds great. Anything I can do to help, I will.

Greetings

Marcus

iulian dragos

Mar 4, 2013, 11:56:21 AM3/4/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Marcus Denison
<denison...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Iulian,
>
> that sounds great. Anything I can do to help, I will.

Please try the build at: http://download.scala-ide.org/tmp-dragos/

(It's 2.9, Indigo).

cheers,
iulian

Marcus Denison

Mar 4, 2013, 12:04:48 PM3/4/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Got the error

"Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
  Software being installed: Scala IDE for Eclipse 4.0.0.local-2_09-201303041644-5bfadc5 (org.scala-ide.sdt.feature.feature.group 4.0.0.local-2_09-201303041644-5bfadc5)
  Missing requirement: Scalariform 0.1.4.201303011803-4d9dfba (scalariform 0.1.4.201303011803-4d9dfba) requires 'bundle org.scala-lang.scala-library 0.0.0' but it could not be found
  Cannot satisfy dependency:
    From: Scala IDE for Eclipse 4.0.0.local-2_09-201303041644-5bfadc5 (org.scala-ide.sdt.feature.feature.group 4.0.0.local-2_09-201303041644-5bfadc5)
    To: scalariform [0.1.4.201303011803-4d9dfba]"

Before I'm trying to get scalariform into Eclipse I rather ask what I am doing wrong?

Thank you for the time investigating in this matter!

iulian dragos

Mar 4, 2013, 12:37:31 PM3/4/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Can you please try again? I think you were too fast: I wrote the email
while the upload was still on...

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM, Marcus Denison

Marcus Denison

Mar 5, 2013, 1:28:46 AM3/5/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Still didn't work.

Mirco Dotta

Mar 5, 2013, 2:52:28 AM3/5/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Meaning - you can't install it?

---------------
Mirco Dotta
Typesafe - The software stack for applications that scale
PSE-D, 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Twitter: @mircodotta

Marcus Denison

Mar 5, 2013, 2:58:58 AM3/5/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, yes. The installation is failing.

iulian dragos

Mar 5, 2013, 5:19:24 AM3/5/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Marcus Denison
<denison...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, yes. The installation is failing.

Sorry for the inconvenience, one of the jars was corrupted. I just
pushed another version and it installed fine from

http://download.scala-ide.org/tmp-dragos/site/

let me know if it works better!
iulian

Marcus Denison

Mar 5, 2013, 5:42:01 AM3/5/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
This speeds it up alot. I have tried it a little and the error window didn't pop up anymore and the autocompletion looks like it is working.

I have attached the new threadDumps file.
threadDumps.txt

iulian dragos

Mar 5, 2013, 8:24:16 AM3/5/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Marcus Denison
<denison...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> This speeds it up alot. I have tried it a little and the error window didn't
> pop up anymore and the autocompletion looks like it is working.

great! Thanks for the feedback. We'll roll out a new RC with the fix
(thanks for the thread dumps as well, I realize my fix wasn't
comprehensive ;-)).

cheers,
iulian

Marcus Denison

Mar 5, 2013, 8:27:13 AM3/5/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Very cool! :)! Thanks alot!

Mirco Dotta

Mar 5, 2013, 8:32:56 AM3/5/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Feels so good to have such an awesome community!

nir

Jul 26, 2018, 2:54:42 AM7/26/18
to Scala IDE User
I am seeing similar issue recently with 4.7.1-rc3

In UI I see lots of GC happening.. progress bar says "updating occurrence annotations"

Following is .metadata/log file stacktrace:

!ENTRY org.scala-ide.sdt.core 1 0 2018-07-20 12:14:54.899
!MESSAGE Timeout in askOption
!STACK 0
java.lang.Throwable
        at org.scalaide.core.compiler.IScalaPresentationCompiler$Implicits$RichResponse$.getOption$extension(IScalaPresentationCompiler.scala:342)
        at org.scalaide.core.compiler.IScalaPresentationCompiler$Implicits$RichResponse$.getOrElse$extension(IScalaPresentationCompiler.scala:326)
        at org.scalaide.core.internal.decorators.markoccurrences.ScalaOccurrencesFinder.$anonfun$findOccurrences$1(ScalaOccurrencesFinder.scala:60)
        at org.scalaide.core.internal.decorators.markoccurrences.ScalaOccurrencesFinder$$Lambda$1542/1067352652.apply(Unknown Source)
        at org.scalaide.core.compiler.InteractiveCompilationUnit.$anonfun$withSourceFile$1(InteractiveCompilationUnit.scala:201)
        at org.scalaide.core.compiler.InteractiveCompilationUnit$$Lambda$1536/333687957.apply(Unknown Source)
        at org.scalaide.core.internal.compiler.PresentationCompilerProxy.$anonfun$internal$5(PresentationCompilerProxy.scala:101)
        at org.scalaide.core.internal.compiler.PresentationCompilerProxy$$Lambda$777/2093426565.apply(Unknown Source)
        at scala.Option.flatMap(Option.scala:171)
        at org.scalaide.core.internal.compiler.PresentationCompilerProxy.internal(PresentationCompilerProxy.scala:100)
        at org.scalaide.core.internal.compiler.PresentationCompilerProxy.apply(PresentationCompilerProxy.scala:58)
        at org.scalaide.core.compiler.InteractiveCompilationUnit.withSourceFile(InteractiveCompilationUnit.scala:201)
        at org.scalaide.core.compiler.InteractiveCompilationUnit.withSourceFile$(InteractiveCompilationUnit.scala:200)
        at org.scalaide.core.internal.jdt.model.ScalaSourceFile.withSourceFile(ScalaSourceFile.scala:71)
        at org.scalaide.core.internal.decorators.markoccurrences.ScalaOccurrencesFinder.findOccurrences(ScalaOccurrencesFinder.scala:26)
        at org.scalaide.ui.internal.editor.MarkOccurrencesEditorExtension.getAnnotations(MarkOccurrencesEditorExtension.scala:105)
        at org.scalaide.ui.internal.editor.MarkOccurrencesEditorExtension.performOccurrencesUpdate(MarkOccurrencesEditorExtension.scala:96)
        at org.scalaide.ui.internal.editor.MarkOccurrencesEditorExtension.$anonfun$requireOccurrencesUpdate$3(MarkOccurrencesEditorExtension.scala:76)
        at org.scalaide.ui.internal.editor.MarkOccurrencesEditorExtension$$Lambda$1534/693012955.apply$mcV$sp(Unknown Source)
        at scala.runtime.java8.JFunction0$mcV$sp.apply(JFunction0$mcV$sp.java:12)
        at org.scalaide.util.Utils$.debugTimed(Utils.scala:28)
        at org.scalaide.ui.internal.editor.MarkOccurrencesEditorExtension.$anonfun$requireOccurrencesUpdate$2(MarkOccurrencesEditorExtension.scala:76)
        at org.scalaide.ui.internal.editor.MarkOccurrencesEditorExtension.$anonfun$requireOccurrencesUpdate$2$adapted(MarkOccurrencesEditorExtension.scala:73)
        at org.scalaide.ui.internal.editor.MarkOccurrencesEditorExtension$$Lambda$1532/599188139.apply(Unknown Source)
        at scala.Option.foreach(Option.scala:257)
        at org.scalaide.ui.internal.editor.MarkOccurrencesEditorExtension.$anonfun$requireOccurrencesUpdate$1(MarkOccurrencesEditorExtension.scala:73)
        at org.scalaide.ui.internal.editor.MarkOccurrencesEditorExtension$$Lambda$1444/2004090596.apply(Unknown Source)
        at org.scalaide.util.eclipse.EclipseUtils$$anon$1.run(EclipseUtils.scala:123)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:56)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.jdt.ui 2 0 2018-07-20 12:16:01.048
!MESSAGE The 'Scala Completion Proposal Computer' proposal computer from the 'org.scala-ide.sdt.core' plug-in did not complete normally. The extension took too long to return from the 'computeCompletionProposals()' operation.

Mark Lemay

Sep 21, 2018, 11:41:37 AM9/21/18
to Scala IDE User
 I also seem to be having this issue with a clean install of Build id: 4.7.0-vfinal-2017-09-29T14:34:02Z-Typesafe using scala 2.12.3.  I'm not sure how I got it into this state.

Where can I find the log file with the stacktrace?