Running Scala IDE 4.7.1 on OpenJDK11

Silvio

Nov 19, 2018, 6:12:25 AM11/19/18
to Scala IDE User
I have OpenJDK11 installed on my Linux desktop (Ubuntu 18.10). I use it to run Eclipse and build my Java and projects with it. Although Scala-IDE requires JD8 I have been using it with newer JDK versions for quite some time. Working with JDK9 and JD10 worked flawlessly for me. Since I upgraded to JDK11 I had to do some tweaking to get Scala-IDE working but it seems to run for the most part now, with the exception of one thing: each change to a source file forces a complete rebuild of all my Scala sources.

This was never a problem before (upto and including JDK10) so I was wondering if there are some more tweaks I could do to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Silvio

Nov 19, 2018, 6:13:44 AM11/19/18
to Scala IDE User
I forgot to mention that I run Eclipse Oxygen 4.7.3a.

syl nah

Nov 19, 2018, 7:14:41 AM11/19/18
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi Silvio

I for one would be very interested to know more about these 'tweaks' you had to make to get a functioning Eclipse+Scala with recent JDK. Until now I was unable to obtain something working.

If you could share your tips it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Sylvain

On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 12:13 PM Silvio <sbie...@jambo-software.com> wrote:
I forgot to mention that I run Eclipse Oxygen 4.7.3a.

Rafał Krzewski

Nov 20, 2018, 9:45:04 AM11/20/18
to Scala IDE User
Hi,

I'm currently running Eclipse  2018-12 M2 (4.10.0M2) Build id: 20181108-1653 with https://storage.googleapis.com/scala-ide-photon/ (Build 4.7.1.201809291829, which includes Scalac 2.12.7 and Zinc 1.2.2) on JDK 11.0.1
Everything works as expected, including incremental compilation.

Hope that helps,
Rafał

Silvio

Nov 21, 2018, 6:57:38 AM11/21/18
to Scala IDE User
I did some checking and as it turns out the only tweaks I needed was when I was running an earlier 4.7 Eclipse version. Version 4.7.3a seems to work fine with both JDK11 and the scala IDE 4.7.1.v-2_12. Except for the rebuilds...
Since Rafal seems to have a better working config I am going to try that now.

Silvio

Nov 21, 2018, 7:46:52 AM11/21/18
to Scala IDE User
Hi Rafal,

I used the link you provided to downlad Scala-IDE for Photon and that helps a lot. How did you find this version of Scala-IDE? It is not listed on the site anywhere.

Thank you for the pointers,

Silvio