timing restrictions

foofoo

Aug 6, 2011, 12:45:03 AM8/6/11
to SCAI2011
Hello all,

for the tournament we plan to enforce a maximum onframe call duration
policy to make sure bots don't slow games down. So please make sure
that the time of your onframe does not exceed 42ms.

/Michael

the....@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2011, 12:59:06 AM8/6/11
to scai...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael

First, what would be the consequences of exceeding that timeframe at least once?

Second, what kind of hardware will be used to run this competition? I would like to be sure my AI won't exceed the allotted timeframe on hardware different from the one I'm using.

Thanks,
Juan

foofoo

Aug 6, 2011, 1:19:33 AM8/6/11
to SCAI2011
On the tournament webpage you can find the hardware specifications of
the machines we will be using. I suggest you use O/S timing functions
to make time management independent of processor speed.

We currently are contemplating the following policy:

bots will be disqualified iff

>= 1 frame (not the first) exceeds 10 seconds
or >= 5 frames exceed 1 second
or >= 50 frames exceed 42 ms

But for enforcing this we need timing support in the BWAPI tournament
module,
which is pending.

foofoo

Aug 6, 2011, 2:05:09 AM8/6/11
to SCAI2011
After some more local discussions we decided on the following softened
ruleset:

In a match the bot for which the following is true first LOSES on time
iff

>= 2 frames exceed 10 seconds
or >= 10 frames exceed 1 second
or >= 200 frames exceed 42ms

subject to timing support in BWAPI. Bots will NOT be disqualified
based
on exceeding time.

gabriel synnaeve

Aug 6, 2011, 3:40:51 AM8/6/11
to scai...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 8:05 AM, foofoo <michae...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In a match the bot for which the following is true first LOSES on time
> iff
>
>    >= 2 frames exceed 10 seconds
> or >= 10 frames exceed 1 second
> or >= 200 frames exceed 42ms

This would have been best to announced it before. But his is totally
understandable and some kind of rule like that sure was coming up.
However, I hope that our bot may have (a ton of) free time in
onStart() for things like precomputing paths, tactical points,
painting dragoons legs and calling Aiur 911, right?

Gabriel

gabriel synnaeve

Aug 6, 2011, 3:41:43 AM8/6/11
to scai...@googlegroups.com
> This would have been best to announced it before.
s/announced/announce
sorry

Heinermann

Aug 6, 2011, 9:22:37 PM8/6/11
to SCAI2011
r3829 http://code.google.com/p/bwapi/source/detail?r=3829
Adds Game::getLastEventTime.

This is used by tournament modules to get the time an AI module spent
in an event callback.
Calling this in the Tournament module's onGameStart event will get the
time it took for the AI's onGameStart, and onFrame for onFrame, etc.
See http://code.google.com/p/bwapi/wiki/Game#getLastEventTime

The tournament should NOT update to this revision due to
incompatibilities with 3.6.1. If you wish to use this then create a
custom build using the 3.6.1 revision and only apply the changes in
that one specific revision.
Since the virtual function is added at the end of Game, I expect it to
retain that order and be compatibile with 3.6.1 modules. Again, it
will not work if you include all the commits between 3.6.1 and r3829.

On Aug 6, 3:41 am, gabriel synnaeve <gabriel.synna...@gmail.com>