Reading alphaStar matches for data visualization project

Philippe Carphin

Mar 15, 2019, 2:58:14 PM3/15/19
to sc2reader
Hi,

we wanted to use the Alpha Star matches to create new visualizations to compare how a human plays and how the AI plays.

We started out figuring out how sc2reader works by using a random ladder game.

I later found out that only standard ladder games seem to be fully supported.

I am quite competent in python, and with a high level overview of what is required to get sc2reader to open the alpha star matches, I would be willing to undertake the work and make our visualization project available for the community.

I really hope I can get some help with this otherwise we will have to take regular replays and it won't be as interesting.

Kind regards
Philippe Carphin

Kevin Leung

Mar 16, 2019, 6:43:18 PM3/16/19
to sc2reader
Hi Philippe,

that would be great if you could improve sc2reader for this!

My understanding is that AlphaStar ran on a custom version of SC2 that is used by the bots. I'm not sure how it works, but maybe the SC2AI community has a better idea.

The closest thing we have run into like this is that Blizzard's dataset of replays for training AIs was anonymized, so it was missing a bunch of data that we assumed would be present. You can see the discussion and effort on these tasks at https://github.com/ggtracker/sc2reader/issues/61 https://github.com/ggtracker/sc2reader/issues/74

You're definitely welcome to submit a Pull Request if you figure it out. We'll do our best to answer any questions that you have about it as well. I suggest that you open a new issue on GitHub rather than continuing the discussion here since I think the (small) sc2reader developer community is more active there.

Kevin