Unit, building, mechanic data in easily readable format?

drow

Apr 17, 2014, 12:57:49 PM4/17/14
to sc2r...@googlegroups.com
I would like to get unit data, for example HP, energy, armor type, build time (as well as buildings) in some easily readable format like XML or JSON.  Could also be C# or python objects (or whatever language, I don't really care).  Does anyone know if this is available somewhere?

My overall idea is to make a utility to easily create a build order that would be quote 'optimal'.  Maybe there are already tools like this, so please tell me if i'm recreating the wheel.

I think the benefits of a tool like this are obvious, but just in case it's not clear, here is what I'm thinking:

1. It's very tedious to play a ton of games, or practice a build order, and think "if i cut a probe there i might be able to do X".  Then you try it, maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, or maybe you can't even compare the 2 because you get 3-pooled, or a million other things could happen

2. It's very hard to execute a build perfectly unless you're super pro because the game is real time, so if you mess up once your build can never be 'optimal'.  A tool like this would eliminate the real-time aspect, making it easier to analyze builds.

3. There are many aspects of the game that are not intuitive.  For example, 14 pool to hatch isn't really that much worse than hatch first.  But what is the exact benefit of this?  When does the economic advantage of hatch first start to become insignificant?  A tool like this can answer the question precisely.

I imagine the tool to have a very simple UI where a user can select any specific game time and read the state of the game.  They can also choose to alter the state of the game for that time period (for example, building a unit or constructing a building).  As you can see, having unit data would make development much faster.

David Joerg

Apr 17, 2014, 1:44:56 PM4/17/14
to sc2reader
Hey,

firstly you can get some if not all of the data you want by using the "Export Balance Data" feature of the Galaxy Editor.  See here: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/10530389/starcraft-ii-2010-patch-notes-7-31-2013.  I've never used it, myself.