Getting started with SC2 reader

Serge Dmitrieff

Nov 4, 2017, 7:11:00 PM11/4/17
to sc2reader
I'm an SC2 enthusiast and a physicist. I often code in python but I'm no developer by far.
I'm trying to get into SC2 reader but I'm having a very hard time to understand where to start...

I understand you need an engine plugin to run a game simulation if you want to have juicy data such as the number and position of all units, etc.
However, I can't really get to that. I find the documentation well done but too low level to be used as a starting point, at least for me.
The tutorials such as http://sc2reader.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tutorials/prettyprinter.html on the other hand didn't yield that juicy info.

Any advice ?

I thank you very much for the help !

David Joerg

Nov 4, 2017, 8:43:53 PM11/4/17
to sc2reader
I'm not aware of any clean tutorials that walk you through what you want, but my code here does extract all kinds of interesting & useful information from replays: https://github.com/dsjoerg/ggpyjobs/blob/master/sc2parse/sc2reader_to_esdb.py

it's the code that powers GGTracker.

Serge Dmitrieff

Nov 7, 2017, 12:31:24 PM11/7/17
to sc2reader
Thanks a lot !

Manuel Gil Valverde

Jun 16, 2018, 4:20:39 AM6/16/18
to sc2reader
Hi, I am now in a similar situation than Serge time before.

I have been looking your code and several questions arose. I  have been in troubles distinguishing between what is used for extracting the information and what supports the app, because sc2reader_to_esdb.py references antoher scripts from sc2parse and I get a little messy. Could you give a little description about  what I could find within each script inside sc2parse folder.

Thank you very much!

Miguel González Duque

Sep 10, 2018, 2:56:45 PM9/10/18
to sc2reader
Hey, Serge.

I wrote a small introductory piece on some of the events that this package handles.

Let me know what you think of it!