Electrical System

Adam Wied

Mar 9, 2021, 4:07:10 PM3/9/21
to Santa Cruz 27 National Class Association
Hey all,

I'm looking to redo the electrical system on Screaming Shiba. PO pulled the entirety, wires, battery, switch panel, you name it and never had the chance to put it back in. Hoping I can get a few pictures of peoples setups to get a good starting point.

Also, what are you using for any long runs of exposed wires, say across the cabin ceiling?

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Tim Doran

Mar 9, 2021, 6:47:16 PM3/9/21
to Santa Cruz 27 National Class Association
We are putting our electrical system and instruments currently, we used a length of schedule 20 3/4" pvc pipe to run the wiring from the stern light, gps antenna, tiller pilot, and trolling motor up to the cabin area, bow light wiring is ancor 18ga twinlead, ziptied to 3m adhesive mounts stuck to the hull using adhesion promoter and run under the platform in the bow to minimize impact damage. we are going to try the adhesive pads for the pvc tube,  might have to go to epoxy if it gets knocked loose, not likely though. Overhead lights will be battery operated leds to avoid wiring on the cabintop. Mast wiring(rg8 coax, 18ga twinlead, and wind instrument wiring, along with a length of lashing line to keep it from banging inside the mast) were taped together every couple of feet, and covered with a mesh sleeve for abrasion protection, ran that last weekend.

Marc Crutcher

Mar 10, 2021, 8:12:37 AM3/10/21
to sc2...@googlegroups.com
Ill get pics, we are doing the same on Tiffany here in KY.  using a mesh loom, p clips, and a few other tricks.

Marc

Mar 10, 2021, 1:22:39 PM3/10/21
to sc2...@googlegroups.com
We did this for our panel.  The battery is in the standard location under the seat.  All lighting converted to LED.  Lots of USB outlets for charging stuff.

On my previous boat I hung the pvc pipe conduit from the deck joint bolts with p-straps.  If you put them on the right way they will hold the pipe up against the hull.

We have a couple of trailer connectors at the bottom of the mast, so stepping and un-stepping just involves connecting/disconnecting them.  We don't have wind instruments or a masthead antenna.

cheers

Tim
(Hull #71)

Ill get pics, we are doing the same on Tiffany here in KY.  using a mesh loom, p clips, and a few other tricks.

Marc

Adam Wied

Mar 15, 2021, 4:12:13 PM3/15/21
to Santa Cruz 27 National Class Association
Thanks everyone! Hoping to get started on this once things warm up a little more here in WI.

Adam