Introducing my GSoC'22 project on SBOL with Nrnb

mdmo...@gmail.com

May 26, 2022, 1:01:32 PM5/26/22
to SBOL Developers
Greetings to fellow SBOL Community members:
    I am Mohit Makwana, a Computer Science junior at BITS Pilani, India. I got interested and involved in contributing patches and new features to the SBOL-Utilities package, in the past few months. My proposal on the same with Nrnb for GSoC '22 has been accepted, and I will be working with you this summer on it. I would like to elaborate on my project briefly here and would love to get your thoughts and ideas on the same anytime.
    The project would mostly revolve around providing a means to convert between the SBOL3 and GenBank file formats directly through the SBOL-Utilities pip package. As you might be aware, the current offering from the package for this conversion involves converting SBOL3 to SBOL2 locally and then using an online converter to convert to GenBank and vice versa. During the course of this project, we seek to eliminate the need to have an intermediate SBOL2 form and also having to use the online converter, as the conversion would be affected by outages in the converter. Also, it would be nice in general, too, to not have to depend on an external service for conversion and have it executed end to end by the SBOL-Utilities library itself.
    I would later also edit this post to attach the link to a blog I will be maintaining for this project. It would be great if you can follow the project and provide your suggestions and advice wherever you feel apt. Feel free to reach out to me over email or LinkedIn for any discussion on this. Hoping to learn and contribute loads this summer!

Few Links:

Best Regards,
Mohit Makwana

Gonzalo Vidal

May 26, 2022, 2:48:32 PM5/26/22
to sbol...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mohit!

Thanks for letting us know more about your project. It’s a very needed feature for SBOL so I wish you the best. Please share your blog when ready and you can discuss any difficulty with other developers as well.

Kind regards,

Gonzalo Vidal
Synthetic Biologist