Proposal to merge mailing lists

Michael Hucka

Dec 18, 2020, 10:15:25 PM12/18/20
to sbml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello SBML community,

We have a lot of mailing lists. I think figuring out the distinctions
between the lists has always been difficult and annoying for people.
And it is clear we also have less traffic on the lists that we used to
have. Therefore, I propose that we consolidate certain lists,
specifically the following ones:

sbml-discuss
sbml-interoperability
sbml-announce

I propose that sbml-discuss and sbml-interoperability be merged into
sbml-discuss, and we broaden sbml-discuss to be not just SBML issues,
but SBML-using software discussions as well. This makes some sense as
the two topics are often intertwined anyway. The lists used to be
separate when SBML-the-format discussions were more voluminous and
software devs didn't necessarily care about the minutia of SBML, but
these days, there's so little traffic that it doesn't seem worth
separating them.

In addition, I propose we close sbml-announce, and post announcements to
sbml-discuss. As a practical matter, announcements are almost always
currently posted to both sbml-discuss and sbml-announce, which is
obviously redundant for some people. And the memberships overlap quite
a bit. The only reason to keep sbml-announce would be for people who
wanted even less traffic than sbml-discuss, and I realize they would
lose that feature. Perhaps we could have some conventions for
announcement messages, so that people could spot those more easily and
filter out things they're not interested in.

Procedurally, the way we could do these changes is to simply close
sbml-interoperability and sbml-announce to new postings, but leave them
online as archives. We would also add messages at the front of the
Googlegroup pages explaining to people that the lists are no longer
active, and that they should join sbml-discuss instead.

What do people think of this idea?

MH

Mendes,Pedro

Dec 19, 2020, 9:46:00 AM12/19/20
to sbml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

I think this is a great idea. I support it.

Pedro
--
Pedro Mendes, PhD
Professor and Director,

ICSB 2021 will take place in Hartford, CT, October 9-14, 2021
http://icsb2020.bioscience-ct.net

Chris Myers

Dec 19, 2020, 2:27:53 PM12/19/20
to 'Sarah Keating' via sbml-discuss
Sounds good.

Chris

ICSB 2021 will take place in Hartford, CT, October 9-14, 2021
http://secure-web.cisco.com/1F8NJ14DuXTzKu3zH6f12bohKC8qPBFOiyfhokWAGSaaHy5RDkdHJG83HUvlz9T_6-b0G574wqrgMix3psiFIspruJ3iOq-mzX82MIgnzUzDeLNYumiTtDoZOD_n87syxlvdWAiAHs--hxKKiS4xqjRraRkPBbpd7Ognz99Pg7jtl24GbtvtMQEp3yrFaemk0ZYepmrK1hX8RPxNy66ulTupFRoICyUAOnJRbuPDZu-xWLs4lPnV4CETnwnUTCz81eqAvmmmvSytdz8IAp0IBtNpOUH82JORzDt20j1ZLoRRi8RQToQXR_q1I4HGWyfq4E66AJSl0Vl5TpbYfMl50QzPI1v0hmTpBPYRu-9XAuM2g5_y3v_OvQA16KYj3hjwczzWUSAC3L0vhjuxhiznQP8khFfQgZtCNZbn_cUJzwFKQgkjUycH3P-fIqcTyC_3nqIo2jW6jjUgfBSdyouzfdg/http%3A%2F%2Ficsb2020.bioscience-ct.net

Hoops, Stefan (sh9cq)

Dec 20, 2020, 8:28:59 AM12/20/20
to sbml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mike,

I second this too.

Stefan
--
Stefan Hoops, Ph.D.
Research Associate Professor

Phone: +1 540 570 1301
Email: sho...@virginia.edu

Loew,Leslie M.

Dec 20, 2020, 9:48:13 AM12/20/20
to sbml-d...@googlegroups.com
Very good idea; and thank you Mike for maintaining the lists for these many years.
Happy Holidays,
Les

On 12/18/20, 10:15 PM, "sbml-d...@googlegroups.com on behalf of Michael Hucka" <sbml-d...@googlegroups.com on behalf of mhu...@library.caltech.edu> wrote:

*** Attention: This is an external email. Use caution responding, opening attachments or clicking on links. ***

Blinov,Michael

Dec 20, 2020, 8:02:25 PM12/20/20
to sbml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

I completely support the idea. I didn’t use sbml-announce because I forgot about it, and I’ve never even heard about sbml-interoperability.

Best regards,
Michael

> On Dec 18, 2020, at 10:15 PM, Michael Hucka <mhu...@library.caltech.edu> wrote:
>
> *** Attention: This is an external email. Use caution responding, opening attachments or clicking on links. ***

Johann Rohwer

Matthias König

Dec 21, 2020, 11:35:04 AM12/21/20
to sbml-d...@googlegroups.com
Sounds very good.
Best Matthias

--
Matthias König, PhD.
Junior Group Leader LiSyM - Systems Medicine of the Liver

Zhang, Fengkai (NIH/NIAID) [E]

Dec 21, 2020, 11:37:28 AM12/21/20
to sbml-d...@googlegroups.com

I support it too.

Fengkai

Rahuman Sheriff

Jan 25, 2021, 1:13:08 PM1/25/21
to sbml-discuss
Hi Mike
As every one agreed, this is a great idea.

Are you taking care of reorganisation of the Googlegroup ? Or has it been already done ?

Please let us know if you need any assistance.

I hope there will be an announcement in all channels once this is done.

Best regards
Sheriff

Michael Hucka

Jan 31, 2021, 8:19:06 PM1/31/21
to sbml-discuss
Hasn't been done yet. There will be an announcement.

MH

On 25 Jan 2021, at 10:13, Rahuman Sheriff wrote:

> Hi Mike
> As every one agreed, this is a great idea.
>
> Are you taking care of reorganisation of the Googlegroup ? Or has it
> been already done ?
>
> Please let us know if you need any assistance.
>
> I hope there will be an announcement in all channels once this is
> done.
>
> Best regards
> Sheriff
>

>> On 21 Dec 2020, at 16:37, 'Zhang, Fengkai (NIH/NIAID) [E]' via
>> sbml-discuss <sbml-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>>
>> I support it too.
>>
>> Fengkai
>>

>> From: 'Matthias König' via sbml-discuss
>> <sbml-d...@googlegroups.com
>> <mailto:sbml-d...@googlegroups.com>>
>> Date: Monday, December 21, 2020 at 11:35 AM
>> To: "sbml-d...@googlegroups.com
>> <mailto:sbml-d...@googlegroups.com>"
>> <sbml-d...@googlegroups.com
>> <mailto:sbml-d...@googlegroups.com>>

>>> --
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sbml-discuss/e099e1c8-c20b-a670-ec92-f3e93f13a133%40sun.ac.za
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sbml-discuss/e099e1c8-c20b-a670-ec92-f3e93f13a133%40sun.ac.za?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>>

>> --
>> Matthias König, PhD.
>> Junior Group Leader LiSyM - Systems Medicine of the Liver
>> Humboldt Universität zu Berlin, Institute of Biology, Institute for
>> Theoretical Biology
>> https://livermetabolism.com <https://livermetabolism.com/>
>> koni...@googlemail.com <mailto:koni...@googlemail.com>
>> https://twitter.com/konigmatt <https://twitter.com/konigmatt>
>> https://github.com/matthiaskoenig <https://github.com/matthiaskoenig>
>> Tel: +49 30 2093 98435
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sbml-discuss/CAEUx3ETA3aHmUmaVA2reYgRS61t32qM49ZmzGaFY2h4Bm-G0LQ%40mail.gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sbml-discuss/CAEUx3ETA3aHmUmaVA2reYgRS61t32qM49ZmzGaFY2h4Bm-G0LQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>>

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sbml-discuss/00552AB6-46EA-4039-B74E-AAC7D1F461D8%40nih.gov
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sbml-discuss/00552AB6-46EA-4039-B74E-AAC7D1F461D8%40nih.gov?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sbml-discuss/D1FF1A24-8990-4DD0-9801-A2019B0B3338%40ebi.ac.uk.

Michael Hucka

Feb 3, 2021, 11:59:14 PM2/3/21
to sbml-discuss
OK, this has finally been done. sbml-announce and sbml-interoperability
are still online but (in theory anyway) it will not be possible to post
new messages to the lists.

MH

Rahuman Sheriff

Feb 4, 2021, 12:45:02 AM2/4/21