Information request - equation for species

Daniela Scattarella

Sep 19, 2020, 12:11:29 PM9/19/20
to sbml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I would like to add the following equation for each species in the sbml.
f'(x)=specie_id
Is the RateRule object the most suitable?

Also, how can the above formula be translated into mathml?
Tks
Daniela.

Lucian Smith

Sep 19, 2020, 5:01:10 PM9/19/20
to sbml-d...@googlegroups.com
I can't quite tell what it is you want.  If you literally want to assign the value 'specie_id' to another parameter, you would use an assignment rule:

<assignmentRule variable="p1">

<math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">

<ci> specie_id </ci>

</math>

</assignmentRule>

This wouldn't be very helpful, though, since anything you wanted to use 'p1' for you could have just used 'specie_id' for instead.

The RateRule object defines the rate of *change* of a model element. A rate rule with the formula 'specie_id' that assigned to a variable p2 would look like:

<rateRule variable="p2">

<math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">

<ci> specie_id </ci>

</math>

</rateRule>

and would mean that d(p2)/dt = specie_id.

That would be perfectly legal, but it doesn't seem very likely that you'd actually want this; I'm unfamiliar with any situations where a species concentration drives the rate of change of another variable.

Is any of that helpful? If not, can you give us some more information about what you need?

-Lucian