Windmill Fire

SBitz

Jul 21, 2018, 3:42:20 AM7/21/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Today we happened to be flying back from Lompoc, not having heard about the new Windmill Fire that had started NorthWest of Buellton a couple of hours earlier. With the amazingly lens on our new camera we caught this PhosChek drop as we passed about 6 miles South.

This closer crop of that Western edge from just before the drop, shows how close the fire came to some homes and structures.

This wider view shows the whole fire footprint at that point. Since the wind was blowing the fire toward the ENE that large flame burning upwind was probably knocked down soon after we passed. I'm know wildfire expert, but my sense is we were pretty lucky with this one. If they hadn't managed to douse that Eastern edge, it could easily have moved quickly toward Buellton.

Lastly, here's a view of the SE edge where crews are working the source of that small smoke plume.