3/22 Storm Updates

SBitz

Mar 22, 2018, 2:11:30 PM3/22/18
to sb...@googlegroups.com
Here's a new Topic for the latest on this monster storm. As of 11am today (Thursday) it appears both SB and Ventura Counties have mostly dodged the "atmospheric river" of heavy rain. In addition to the detailed and updated info here on SBitZ.NET there's great info on the SB area in articles and comments at Edhat.com and for Ventura County the VC Star has this 8am article updated at 10 and again at 11am. If anyone has other or specific links to share, please do.

SBitz

Mar 22, 2018, 2:26:20 PM3/22/18
to sb...@googlegroups.com
Here are a few more links for news media:
*SB on gNews
*Ventura on gNews
*SLO on gNews

If you find an article or item of interest or have a link to share, please post.

SBitz

Mar 22, 2018, 4:12:24 PM3/22/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
The water vapor plume has almost completely passed SB to the East, according to this 1pm animation I just posted on uTube.

SBitz

Mar 22, 2018, 4:35:29 PM3/22/18
to sb...@googlegroups.com
Looking good for this afternoon! Here's the 1pm radar.

The animation makes it look like the stuff over SLO county is raining out. Even better news on the visible satellite animation, showing the clear sky spreading toward SB from the Southwest.

The winds aloft at 3,000' in the aviation forecast is for it to remain fairly strong until 5pm. But, surface winds are forecast to remain relatively light. Here's how that surface wind graphic looks for 1pm, with the color code chart pasted in showing how 15 and 20 knot regions are depicted.

So Iwe might be able to take a flight over the area and get some pix to share here.
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2
Auto Generated Inline Image 3

SBitz

Mar 22, 2018, 8:04:56 PM3/22/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Well bummer. :(

Winds have shifted, blowing mist and low clouds in from the West. A band of moderate rain from the Southwest now reaching Gaviota is inching toward SB too, though it may weaken before then. Looks like Carp has had pretty steady rain too, possibly moderately heavy at times, that may be letting up now.

MetWatch has shifted their focus to the CA Central Valley, and aviation sources warn of severe thunderstorms so they're probably getting hammered now. The NOAA "precipitation potential" from 2pm with blue "0.5 inch" (circled in red approaching us) makes it seem likely we'll be having drizzle for hours to come.

I gather that "0.5 inch" is what would be on the ground if all the moisture were to fall as rain, which is unlikely. But as night falls, air cools, and the SW wind blows it up slope, we'll probably see clouds and at least light rain. In the latest aviation satellite animation I see indications that the low clouds and rain now coming ashore from Gaviota to Point Conception and a little beyond, will taper off and give way to broken high clouds moving in from the West. The current SBA aviation forecast calls for that trend to take until 3am, with only scattered clouds by sunrise.
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2

Section Make8R

Mar 22, 2018, 11:51:47 PM3/22/18
to sb...@googlegroups.com
Glad you waited, front passage!!!!  South winds ramped up here, pretty decent rain bands.  Weather West has been busy, lots of anecdotal reports from up and down the state. (and of course, overload of maps and graphics)