Flood Aerials 1/16

SBitz

Jan 16, 2018, 11:29:24 PM1/16/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
We flew again on Tuesday 1/16 and got some aerial updates on flood clearing progress. Light was low, so many pix had motion blur but I'll share the good ones here because we were able to fly lower and thus get better views.

SBitz

Jan 16, 2018, 11:34:45 PM1/16/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
First a look at the work on clearing the debris basin at Cold Spring, here on gMaps. I'm sending some to Edhat too, but these are typically bigger and I can adapt the apsect ratio at will to show areas of interest.
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

SBitz

Jan 16, 2018, 11:47:12 PM1/16/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Here's the debris basin work at upper San Ysidro Creek.
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

SBitz

Jan 17, 2018, 12:03:23 AM1/17/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
This is 101 at Olive Mill, with the possibility in sight for there to be one southbound lane cleared at least for equipment access down to concrete overnight.

The low light made for motion blur in many of these pix, but happily some are clear enough to show what's going on. Below is a tall cropped pic zoomed in on that short impassable space. At the bottom you can see the mud scooped down from the South end of the SB lane, and at the top you can see the lane they've cleared from the North end of the SB lane. Alas, you can also see how the mud is still oozing back in at the middle. Still kinda exciting! :)
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2

SBitz

Jan 17, 2018, 12:22:33 AM1/17/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Out in Goleta across 101 from Trader Joe's (bottom-right), it looks like they've built a dam across a gully. Maybe they're filling it with the mud from 101 at Olive Mill?

I'm going offline again for a while, but will probably post more pix as I find time to go thru them. Informative, respectful and friendly questions & comments welcome.
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

Anna7cam

Jan 17, 2018, 1:26:09 AM1/17/18
to sb...@googlegroups.com

> Goleta across 101... built a dam ... filling it with the
> mud from 101 at Olive Mill?

Yes! KSBY reports on the Mud - looks like you got a photo of the exact
area they describe!
"CHP says the mud is being used to help construct berms along the
right-hand shoulder of the road in that area."
http://www.ksby.com/story/37277964/mud-from-montecito-being-used-to-construct-highway-berms-in-goleta

SBitz

Jan 17, 2018, 1:38:01 AM1/17/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
> Yes!  KSBY reports on the Mud - looks like you got a photo of the exact area

Cool, thanks Jazz. :)

In the pix from our flight this evening I found this one of another mud pool between the North end of Orange Ave. and the bottom of the Fairview 101 SB onramp.
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

SBitz

Jan 17, 2018, 4:02:48 PM1/17/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Here are pix of the other two 101 areas (East of the Olive Mill mess) where there was active work yesterday (1/16) evening. First is Fernald Point, where the freeway's pretty much clear but they're using lanes to work on culverts and frontage roads.

That's the Miramar construction at the bottom-right.

The only other place with major work (also culvert clearing) was just before the SB101 Santa Claus Lane exit, at about 3487 Padaro Lane.

I might get to fly the flooded area again today, and if so I'll of course share any interesting pix here and send some to Edhat.