Lots of helicopter activity this morning.

Pork Rind

Dec 29, 2017, 12:22:32 PM12/29/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network

I'm seeing the air controller helicopter N718GH circling the area just east and north of the hairpin on Gibraltar. My wife reported smoke rising from behind Parma Park this morning which coincides with this area of interest. And in the last few minutes, two, possibly three helicopters have filled up in Lauro Reservoir making trips in that general direction. I have the scanner back out but haven't picked up any details yet.

RunMinnieRun

Dec 31, 2017, 2:30:42 PM12/31/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
I've been away... was there any follow-up on this? Thanks!

SBitZ.NET

Dec 31, 2017, 5:38:58 PM12/31/17
to RunMinnieRun, Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
> I've been away

Welcome back :)

> was there any follow-up on this?

It seems the flurry of helo water drops knocked it down fairly quickly,
but pix from our flights both before and after that seem to show thin
smoke in that area. Fire official said on KEYT the hotspots pose no
danger and are well within solid containment lines. Also that they're
keeping air resources on 1 hour standby in case of another flare up.
Interestingly, the TFR for other aircraft no longer covers that area
(see attached maps with my guess of the hotspot area near Tangerine
Falls circled), so they don't anticipate much activity there and will
rely on ATC at KSBA to keep pilots informed if needed. Apparently the
terrain's so steep and hotspots contained enough they may be letting
some stuff smoulder. Probably impossible to fully extinguish from the
air and not worth endangering ground crews to go dig them out.
TerrainMap171231.jpg
TFRmap171231.jpg