1/9 Debris Flow lecture from UCSB

Section Make8R

Apr 1, 2018, 11:17:55 PM4/1/18
to sb...@googlegroups.com

 This is worth the time to peruse either slide series or the video of the lecture.

SBitZ.NET

Apr 3, 2018, 6:17:45 PM4/3/18
to Section Make8R, Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
> http://online.kitp.ucsb.edu/online/friends/jerolmack/

Thanks for sharing this. I've still been too busy to even click the
link, to my surprise.

> This is worth the time to peruse

Might you be willing to post a summary or a few brief highlights? It's
all I can do to keep up with email right now, so I'd especially
appreciate something like that.

Section Make8R

Apr 4, 2018, 11:41:58 AM4/4/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
I've been too busy for full version....will post when I do so....Taxes and moving rocks from free Materials Exchange Site (sb county) have kicked my butt!!!!!!

'rocks float like beachballs" is  the short version (eyewitness)   and that MAYBE the worst is over

I will post later.

SBitZ.NET

Apr 4, 2018, 7:33:20 PM4/4/18
to Section Make8R, Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
> Taxes

A very taxing activity. After an hour of "Line jumping" the 1040 it's
margi & movie time.

> moving rocks from free Materials Exchange Site

We've been doing that too, and that adds an ibuprofen to the m&m time.

> 'rocks float like beachballs"

Wish we could let the air out of the ones we've been hauling in the
trunk of our car. We'd seen other references to the boulders having
lower density than the debris flow and thus literally floating in it.
The fast flow of something so dense is scary enough, but then the
boulders give it a hammering effect. Like a sandblasting process that
adds cannonballs. Seems like it's going to be years on top of the slow
recovery for those facing destruction from the fire.