Power Outage SB - Fire Ventura County

SBitz

Dec 5, 2017, 2:17:42 AM12/5/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Power is out in a large area of Santa Barbara and probably beyond. There's a big fire in Ventura County, possibly related to the power outage.  I'm looking into it now and will post updates.  Meanwhile, here's an infrared satellite image of the fire.
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

SBitz

Dec 5, 2017, 2:37:10 AM12/5/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Nothing on Edhat, but Noozhawk has an item about the power outage here.
The SCE Outage map is here.
SCE power restoration estimates as of 11:30pm 12/4 range from now to 5am for most areas. On their active map linked above (the ones below are static) you can click on the yellow triangle closest to your location to get their current estimate.  Here are static copies of the maps for SoCal & SB as of 11:30pm 12/4:
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2

SBitz

Dec 5, 2017, 3:05:05 AM12/5/17
to sb...@googlegroups.com
The wind driven Thomas Fire started North of Santa  Paula and is moving East. There's info on the Ventura County website here.  The site's pretty busy, so here's some info as of 10:30pm:
Started near "Highway 150 and Bridge Road. The fire is currently estimated at 5000 acres is being pushed by an East wind toward the Cities of Santa Paula and Ventura." They list 803 homes as Mandatory Evacuation plus "2,321 VC Alert contacts" along with a list of road closures.
As of 12am this view from Broadcast Peak to the East shows the fire pretty bright still, and lights coming on in some areas of Goleta & SB.

SBA is reporting that runway lights are out, so flights are probably being diverted elsewhere.
As of 10:50pm CalFire was reporting 10,000 acres burned.
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

SBitz

Dec 5, 2017, 3:12:30 AM12/5/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
As of midnight the SCE map now just shows the whole region as one massive outage with no restoration estimate:
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

SBitz

Dec 5, 2017, 3:24:08 AM12/5/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Yikes! I just checked IR sat images again, and it had already been showing the fire reaching the coast at 11:30am (an hour ago).  This low-resolution image doesn't show the local highways so it doesn't show exactly where the fire detections were in relation to Ventura.

Wind forecasts as of midnight show them blowing generally to the Southwest and actually getting stronger in the fire area for some time. In fact they're not predicted to ease up until late afternoon Tuesday.
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

SBitz

Dec 5, 2017, 3:33:47 AM12/5/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
At midnight CMA (Camarillo Airport) reported wind blowing toward the WSW (coast) at 30mph gusting to 43mph and Oxnard Airport reported 23mph gusting to 32mph in the same direction.
I'm going to get some sleep, but I invite SBitZ.Net members to post news or add updates to this topic.

SBitz

Dec 5, 2017, 3:46:37 AM12/5/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
You knew I couldn't sleep yet, right? So I found this scary view from Oxnard.

Not sure exactly where, but near Rice at Camino Del Sol (S. of 101).
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

SBitz

Dec 5, 2017, 4:28:06 AM12/5/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
None of the fire detection satellites are showing the fire yet, so I did a rough match of gMaps on V. County with the low res. IR satellite I've been watching.  I drew this rough outline of the fire area in purple.  Keep in mind that the IR is very low res, so the actual burned areas could be very small. The brightness of the pixels in the previous IR sat images corresponds to the intensity within that large area.  So the actual burning is somewhere within those white pixels (boxes).  That means there are probably isolated hot spots somewhere well within the purple line. In general the fire is probably burning in hotspots along the region moving Southwest along the North side of the river, right down to the water.
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

SBitz

Dec 5, 2017, 1:38:26 PM12/5/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Still burning this morning. Here's the most recent IR sat as of 10:30am Tues.

Now some of the smoke that had been blowing offshore is hooking around and blowing back over SB County from the West in our famous "back eddy" loop.  Here's how that looks on the latest GOES visible sat.

In case you hadn't heard, there's now another fire in LA County and you can see the heat and smoke from it on the sat views above.
More to follow...
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2

SBitz

Dec 5, 2017, 1:59:01 PM12/5/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
The other fire detection satellites are now providing more detail on the Thomas Fire burned and actively burning areas. Here's the latest composite.

The small red dots with white centers are olders hi-res sat fire detections, larger red circles are medium-res more recent detections, and the faint yellow outline is the most recent fire perimeter report.
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

SBitz

Dec 5, 2017, 2:02:30 PM12/5/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Two fires in LA County as of this latest low-res IR sat.
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

SBitz

Dec 5, 2017, 2:15:18 PM12/5/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Here's a map of all the active named SoCal fires as of 11am.

Left to right: Thomas, Creek, Wilson, Riverdale and Oak.
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

SBitz

Dec 5, 2017, 2:40:13 PM12/5/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
KEYT had good coverage on their 11am news, and they're re-running it on channel 3-2 (their secondary broadcast channel). The signal is strong, so if your cable TV is out you can probably pick it up with a "rabbit ears" antenna. You can also try their online info at KEYT.com where they're probably streaming it.

SBitz

Dec 5, 2017, 3:57:47 PM12/5/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Looked at air traffic just now, and at least two "Huey" UH1 helicopters are apparently working the fire. The "supertanker" jet has been working the Creek Fire but so far doesn't seem to have attacked the Thomas Fire, presumably due to the dangerous combo of winds and terrain.

SBitz

Dec 5, 2017, 4:01:52 PM12/5/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Right now Camarillo Airport is reporting winds from the East (80 degrees) at 26mph gusting to 34mph, and Oxnard Airport is similar: 70 degrees at 22mph gusting to 34. Those helicopter pilots are doing courageous work.

SBitz

Dec 6, 2017, 1:04:48 AM12/6/17
to sb...@googlegroups.com
The two Ventura area public airports are now reporting fairly steady 9mph wind, and in this view from Broadcast Peak the fire is down but decidedly not out.

The IR heat signature is far less, both in brightness and area while the other fires don't show up at all.

The latest composite satellite view gives an idea where the hotspots are now. Again, the yellow outline is the latest fire perimeter. I've quickly tried (with little success) to accentuate that yellow shape in the hope of making it easier to see.

The large Red circles are medium-resolution satellite fire detections within 12 hours, Orange are older than 12 hours but less than 24.
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2
Auto Generated Inline Image 3

SBitz

Dec 6, 2017, 1:49:07 AM12/6/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
The latest reports, several hours old, all say about 50,000 acres have burned with zero containment. Here's the latest Ventura County map, modified for readability without download.
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

SBitz

Dec 6, 2017, 4:12:11 AM12/6/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Happy to see it cooling down on the midnight IR sat.

The latest composite sat shows the action since noon or so.

The latest smoke map shows how far West it's blown, and much of that will eventually blow back over us.

I found a daytime color sat image showing the actual smoke.

The view from Broadcast Peak shows it cooler, with the fire light and plumes smaller and lights of downtown SB (lower-right) less reddened by the smoke.

Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2
Auto Generated Inline Image 3
Auto Generated Inline Image 4