Whittier Fire Cooling?!

John

Jul 16, 2017, 1:32:25 AM7/16/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Like many (most?) Santa Barbarians we went out to look at the sunset with a mixture of Hope and Fear. It was delightful!! Red tinge in the clouds and nearly clear sky! So of course I started looking for info online. First I found a way to put hi-res VIIRS InfraRed (heat) satellite fire detection data on a visible satellite image along with the most recent available fire perimeter outline. Since we'd flown offshore to snap some pix across the fire area (see the 7/15 Topic here) from the south-southwest, I first captured that screen to share.

Then I moved the map to look at it more from the West, since that's where nearly all of the smoke we saw this afternoon was coming from.

Most astounding by far was the most recent low-res satellite black & white image from 9:30pm tonight.

There's more heat detected in the air North of the fire! This is the first time it's been completely "cold" in the fire area, even after pumping up the image brightness like in the attached file.

We have real reason to hope that this fire is moving into the long-term mop up and replanting phase, especially given some cooling and increased humidity in the forecast.
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2
Auto Generated Inline Image 3

John

Jul 16, 2017, 1:37:49 AM7/16/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Well, in the time it took me to post that the next IR image (attached) was posted. Sadly, it now shows some heat in the fire area. Still the lowest level of heat I can recall seeing, but none at all sure was a more welcome sight! Guess it's not over until it's over, eh?

irSat10p715.jpg