Fizzling Friday Fire

SBitz

Dec 22, 2017, 1:43:19 PM12/22/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
It was mildly surprising to read the InciWeb report on our Thomas Fire and learn that it's still fighting the fire fighters. Will it reach the size of largest fire in California history? Now at 272,800 acres. Will more of the fire crews get a holiday break? Now at 4,404 with 65% containment. Here's a snip from the InciWeb morning briefing:
"Firing to Rose Valley is estimated to take four days to complete. East of Rose Valley will continue direct line construction, moving toward the Sespe Wilderness boundary. North of the community of Fillmore fire behavior was minimal where it has backed into the Sespe drainage. To the north, the fire is slowly moving through the Sespe Wilderness and Bear Haven area, where it is being closely monitored. Carpinteria, the Ojai Valley area, and Highway 126 between Highway 150 and Fillmore are all in patrol status. Resources have maintained a presence along the Highway 101 area, to the east of Fillmore to Highway 150."

No signs of fire detection on the IR satellites, and the SB County AQI looks almost normal except for one reading in Santa Ynez:

More days of sporadic lingering smoke ahead, it seems. InciWeb: "No significant smoke impacts through this afternoon except along Hwy 33 where clearing can be expected late this morning. Tonight through Thursday, good conditions expected west of the Thomas Fire area, somewhat increased smoke impacts Santa Barbara east through Ventura, highly dependant on fire spread in very dry fuels. Winds are likely to stir up residual ash in many locations." With the Rose firing and dwindling Sespe burn relatively small and far from cities, at least most residents will be spared the thick smoke we endured for over two weeks. I guess we get to keep one weary eye on Thomas until he finally leaves us and valiant fire crews, in peace.
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

SBitz

Dec 23, 2017, 12:37:06 AM12/23/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Well, my insulting title for this Topic worked. InciWeb just reported, "273,400 acres at 65% containment." So the LA Times headline is, "Thomas fire becomes largest wildfire on record in California." It's not out yet, either. I don't think many of us feel like celebrating our proximity to the largest fire in CA history. Anyone?