Cruces Fire (Lompoc area)

SBitz

Jul 18, 2018, 7:11:27 PM7/18/18
to sb...@googlegroups.com
Just found out about this fire on Edhat, and looked at a few resources. Here are two items in case they're of interest. From the Broadcast Peak view West it seems the fire is still putting out a fair amount of smoke, but there's no plume so maybe it's mostly in mop up phase.
The aircraft track avoids the fire's location, so perhaps the helicopters are primary and this is a fixed wing flying standby or reconnaissance. It's going out to Point Conception and back.

SBitz

Jul 18, 2018, 7:26:46 PM7/18/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
The  7500 Block San Julian Rd address given by SBCOEM is here on gMaps:
Traffic is apparently moving normally on 101.

SBitz

Jul 18, 2018, 7:39:38 PM7/18/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
I found a fire news page for the Cruces Fire with links to lots of sources. Ventura Star's article has some great pix, and KEYT seems to be covering it well.

SBitz

Jul 21, 2018, 3:31:14 AM7/21/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
We got these new pix yesterday (7/20) flying back from Lompoc, and I've sent a different one to Edhat that they might post tomorrow. This first pic gives context of the burned area (bottom-right) to Gaviota Pass.
Next a zoom pic from a similar angle.
Then from a different angle.
Last, a long zoom of that line of trucks on the ridge. Quite a few vehicles on Hwy.1 and up in the hills, so with that fire knocked down apparently some crews rushed over to help with the Windmill Fire that started not long before we flew past (I'll put some pix of that in a new Topic).