John

Jul 17, 2017, 4:56:09 AM7/17/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
The stars are out tonight.

Not only are the clouds gone - the SMOKE is pretty much gone!  The attached view from the ridge North shows what's probably a small fire at the left edge, but look at all those stars, eh? Looking South and West is much the same with small fires, relatively little smoke, and stars aplenty. Quite a change from how it has looked for far too long now.

The low-res IR satellite from midnight shows just the faintest hint of heat with the brightness pumped up in an editor (nothing showing at all in the unaltered image).

The 1am USFS map with MODIS & VIIRS satellites show only one fire detection (red dot bottom-center) between 1pm and 7pm Sunday and nothing since. The next image shows that in detail (top-right) in relation to Gato Cyn. Rd.

The last image in this post shows the smoke map with the NW wind having driven the relatively small and light remaining smoke SW. This matches what we saw flying back to SBA from Camarillo at about 5pm, when the smoke was in several distinct layers and much lighter than what we've seen for many days now. Unless something very unexpected happens, this fire is probably pretty much contained. They might do some back burning when conditions are right just for extra insurance, but they seem to have a focus on putting out spot fires now.

If so, this may be my last post here until the next emergency. I welcome anything other Members would like to post or ask, and will reply although it might take a while since sometimes I don't check email often. I hope this site has been helpful, and that you'll join me in sharing anything of interest to the regional community - especially during emergencies.

Thanks and good night :)
1-pkCamE1a717.jpg
2-irSat12a717.jpg
3-perimVIIRSmodis2a717.jpg
4-perimb4-7pIRdetect2a717.jpg
5-smokeMap11p716.jpg

John

Jul 17, 2017, 5:11:21 PM7/17/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Well, even though things still look great this afternoon there's one more question that had been nagging at me: where's Bear Creek? InciWeb has been mentioning it, and their maps haven't shown it.  I had a general idea of the location somewhere on the Northeast edge of the fire, but sometimes there's no substitute for a map. So attached is one from USWAPI at 1pm 7/17. I've added circles and arrows for what seems to be the smokiest hotspot SE of SY Peak, and (drum roll) Bear Creek. The latter is due North of Storke at 101, running from the ridge a little East and then NNE to Hwy.154. There's no IR sat heat detection shown there in this map, so maybe it's too small or dispersed to show or it's only smouldering at present and the InciWeb mention is by way of warning that they may light a back fire at some point.
1-perimUSWAPI1p717.jpg