Holliday Hill Fire

SBitz

Jul 7, 2018, 1:11:50 AM7/7/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Here are two 9pm views of the fire. First, the InfraRed satellite image showing it as a dim gray area and the much brighter (bigger & hotter) fire burning in San Bernardino County. The latter is probably getting the few night-capable aerial assault resources, especially if any structures are threatened there.
Below is a brightened image from Broadcast Peak clearly showing the flames (three bright areas toward the left), with smoke blowing across Goleta and the airport.
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2

SBitz

Jul 7, 2018, 1:18:30 AM7/7/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
SBA is currently reporting smoke with winds from the NNE (20 degrees) at 15 MPH, gusting to 24 MPH. They're forecasting wind to shift soon to the NNW (330 degrees) at 9 MPH. Assuming this is as accurate as it usually is, the fire may slow and any further spread will be mostly toward the South.

topix

Jul 7, 2018, 1:35:56 AM7/7/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Well poop.  I was just thinking to myself today that we should get the gang together and meet in person, over drinks, while things are calm.  So when my dear husband asked "what are all the sirens for?" I turned  to edhat, Zaniboni's tweets, and the excellent-as-ususal SBitz to learn that there is a fire <two miles away, and moving in our direction.

Here's an update about where exactly the fire started. According to a firefighter's tweet is that a powerline-treebranch started it.  Folks above Cathedral Oaks and between Patterson and Fairoaks are in danger.

SBitz

Jul 7, 2018, 2:24:58 AM7/7/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Latest SBA weather:
Wind from the N (10 degrees) at 10 MPH, gusting to 20 MPH with haze & smoke.

Forecast for the next three hours:
Wind from the NNE (20 degrees) at 9 MPH with smoke.
For less than half of that same three hours:
Wind from the NNE (20 degrees) at 17 MPH gusting to 29 MPH.

For the four hours following that:
Wind from the NNE (20 degrees) at 8 MPH with smoke, then dropping to light wind.

SBitz

Jul 7, 2018, 3:04:22 AM7/7/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
In case it's helpful for anyone with limited internet, attached is a larger and more detailed Google Map of the fire area. The file size is only 175k so it can even fit in a text message.
HillFireMap.jpg

SBitz

Jul 7, 2018, 3:17:47 AM7/7/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
SBA wind from the N (10 degrees) at 12 MPH, some clouds at 800 feet with haze and smoke. This is good news, but may not reflect conditions at the fire. Often in sundowners, cooler moist air from the coast will mingle with hot air coming down slope. Usually this happens above the elevation of the airport, so that North of Cathedral Oaks could still have stronger, hotter, drier, gusting wind. Still, the trend is improving as forecast so chances are good that the worst is over in the fire area. Hope nobody has been injured, and that they're able to stop the fire's advance soon!

SBitz

Jul 7, 2018, 2:17:28 PM7/7/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Here's the 11am color image from Broadcast Peak, showing smoke thinning and no plume thankfully.
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

SBitz

Jul 7, 2018, 2:21:21 PM7/7/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
SBA wind from the SSE (150 degrees) at 7 MPH. Forecasting nothing greater for at least 24 hours.
Whew, what a relief! Now the containment can hopefully progress quickly and recovery can begin.

SBitz

Jul 7, 2018, 2:28:09 PM7/7/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Nice to see both fixed wing and helicopters working the fire, helping out all the ground attack. :)

Ted Cabeen

Jul 7, 2018, 2:41:00 PM7/7/18
to sb...@googlegroups.com

Updated fire map:

On 7/7/2018 11:28 AM, SBitz wrote:
Nice to see both fixed wing and helicopters working the fire, helping out all the ground attack. :)

SBitz

Jul 7, 2018, 2:50:22 PM7/7/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Thanks for the map, Ted.

Just saw this L.A. Times article on the fire updated half an hour ago or so.

SBitz

Jul 7, 2018, 3:05:43 PM7/7/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
11am SBA weather shows "only" 80°F and with a much safer 51% relative humidity.