Smoke Alert 11/11/2018

SBitz

Nov 11, 2018, 2:25:54 AM11/11/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Smoke from the major fires now burning in CA was forecast to be at dangerous levels in the SB County South coast tomorrow, Sunday 11/11. The map below for Sunday 11/11 at 11am was generated at 3:30am Saturday, so clearly it's unlikely to be very accurate. That said, it does somewhat correspond with current (Sat.11:30pm) aviation wind forecasts. I won't be waiting up for the next forecast, and we'll of course be well aware of the smoke tomorrow if it's this heavy. Just wanted to give you a heads up in case it helps in your preparation. If you don't have an N95 smoke mask, you could probably get one before the smoke gets heavy and they sell out. I'll update this thread tomorrow if there's anything new to add.

SBitz

Nov 11, 2018, 2:09:39 PM11/11/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Fire info has been nearly impossible to get. Helps me appreciate the improved public info available during recent fires here in SB County. Some of the federal info sources have gone dark since the last time I used them - maybe budget cutbacks or admin/staff changes? The fire has indeed kicked up, in the mountains above PCH (apparently in the Malibu area) and wind there is taking it offshore where wind then brings it toward SB. Anyway, here's what I have at the moment.

Camarillo Airport (KCMA) webcam view SE toward Boney Mtns (Mugu at right):

Current smoke forecast:

2pm smoke forecast:

Current CMA weather:
77°F, humidity 6%, wind NE at 32mph gusting to 45mph.

Current SBA weather:
67°F, humidity 49%, wind variable at 3mph, visibility 6mi., smoke

SBitz

Nov 11, 2018, 2:20:08 PM11/11/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
The low-res InfraRed satellite and continental smoke forecast has finally updated. Here are the ones from an hour ago (10am 11/11):

This IR sat fire detection shows a pretty big flare up as of 10am, and the webcam view of the smoke a few minutes ago from CMA indicates the wind is totally in charge at present. The smoke map below shows fire detections in red, and though there are many in FL they're apparently not making the thick smoke we have from the Woolsey fire right now.

SBitz

Nov 13, 2018, 2:40:31 AM11/13/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Aerial photo taken just before sunset from Hidden Valley (South of Thousand Oaks) showing part of  the Woolsey fire area.

There's a smoke plume going up the mountain from the Westlake Village hills, and the edge of another one across the ridge at upper left. Some thinner plumes and diffused smoke is in all of the valleys across on the South slopes.