Flood Aerials 1/17

SBitz

Jan 17, 2018, 7:30:37 PM1/17/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
I might still post pix in the 1/16 Topic or add some here for comparison with today's (1/17), but for now I'm posting these because the light was much better so they're clearer.

SBitz

Jan 17, 2018, 7:37:16 PM1/17/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
First off, hurray!! :D
They've cleared the southbound 101 lanes at the Olive Mill bridge at least for equipment and trucks, and are hard at work on the northbound lanes with not much of the deepest mud to go.

They're also cleaning out the drain (bottom of this pic). This was shot about 2pm and is just to the West of the Olive Mill bridge (West = up). I've sent a different version to KEYT in case they'd like to use it on tonight's news. Speaking of KEYT, I want to highly commend again the exceptional coverage of the fire and now flood! Thank you KEYT and the entire multi-station team for giving us such great on-scene reporting.
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

SBitz

Jan 17, 2018, 7:53:05 PM1/17/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Here's a wider view from the South. They're still doing some lane clearing beyond this, but the bulk of the work is in this section. I also got updated pix of the two other active work areas on 101 plus various flooded creeks and neighborhoods. I might not get time to post more until later, but I'm so excited at this 101 progress it might be hard to stop sharing. :)
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

SBitz

Jan 17, 2018, 8:24:15 PM1/17/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Well, sadly for my other evening plans thus far, I wasn't able to stop looking. I've been very interested in getting a better look at La Casa de Maria and today's better light enabled that. I'm both glad to have a clearer idea of the damage to this local treasure, and sad to see the extent. Here's the cafeteria area looking toward the South with chapel at top. Tile roof remains are visible through the trees at the bottom-right.

I'd hoped the upper level of the dorms might have escaped, but in this (very tweaked) pic it looks like mud went over the upper rail and there's mud behind the buildings too.

Here's a different, wider, and less tweaked view.  Sigh...

OK, now I really have to log out and get busy on other stuff. I'll try to put all the death, injury, destruction, and damage out of my mind for a while, but it's hard when I think of what affected families and businesses are going through right now. :(
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2
Auto Generated Inline Image 3

Section Make8R

Jan 18, 2018, 3:34:00 PM1/18/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Thank you for posting these!  Great shots to help us all see the progress.  These crews work all night long, but I cant walk down and see the progress.

SBitz

Jan 18, 2018, 3:45:08 PM1/18/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
If you have tv, watch channel 3.2 (KEYT's secondary "Now HD" channel). They rerun the KEYT 3.1 news on that channel, and their KEYT 11am news showed this rapid progress since my 2pm aerial yesterday.
Mud scraped to concrete, with median and shoulders initially cleared. They're clearing drains, reinstalling guard rails and apparently hauling away the last major accumulations of mud before cleaning the concrete. KEYT said CalTrans is planning to open it both ways Monday.

That looks likely for at least escorted traffic 1 lane each way. Maybe sooner if things go well? They presumably need to keep it closed to work faster and for worker protection from crazy drivers. It looked good at Fernald Point and the other active work area at the creek crossing just West of NB Santa Claus Lane exit. From the air there isn't any indication those couldn't handle normal traffic when they're not using lanes to dig out creek culverts below grade. What a boon any sort of reopening will be for so many families and businesses, eh?!
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

Section Make8R

Jan 18, 2018, 4:36:47 PM1/18/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network

SBitz

Jan 18, 2018, 8:53:06 PM1/18/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Busy day today and yesterday's pix are already 29 hours old so things have surely changed, but in case anyone's interested here's the other major active road work on 101. First three places at Fernald Point, mostly this first one where there's a culvert just West of the point.

There was quite a bit of mud on the road here as you can see, and there was some adjacent structure damage. Next is a wide pic of the other two spots just East of this where mud encroached on the road and some possibly worse damage to structures.

I didn't get to see Carp yesterday but there's a pic of the other main active work area as of Tuesday in my 1/16 post. It's the one just West of the SB 101 Santa Claus Lane exit across from Padaro Lane. That one didn't seem to have impacted the freeway as much, but they were using it for backhoes to dig out debris under the bridges. That work and possibly Fernald Point may well be done by now, at least enough to open lanes for periods of traffic.
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2

SBitz

Jan 21, 2018, 6:05:15 AM1/21/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
The pix from Thursday are pretty old now, but this one's so striking to me it still seems worth sharing.

It's where the bridge was at the southeast edge of San Ysidro Ranch on Mountain Drive, scorched by the massive fire there. Here's another angle showing where the beautiful homes had been.

Here's a similar satellite view from gMaps before the flood and fire.

We saw video of crews busting massive boulders on KEYT TV news Saturday night, and it looked familiar. Could they still have been working on this boulder then?

They said rather than blast the boulders, they're pouring expansive grout in the deep drill holes to split them.
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2
Auto Generated Inline Image 3
Auto Generated Inline Image 4

doublej

Jan 22, 2018, 9:03:09 PM1/22/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Massive hydraulic power, thanks for the images, aerial images provide a clear view of the altered landscape.
Those huge boulders moved such a long distance, no wonder why some escapees mentioned the noise and vibrations as they tumbled toward the coast.

SBitz

Jan 24, 2018, 8:19:15 PM1/24/18
doublej wrote:
no wonder why some escapees mentioned the noise and vibrations

Somehow I hadn't thought of that!  The biggest boulders would shake the ground for some distance around.  We flew over again yesterday and of course got more pix like this for comparison.
Remarkable amount of progress on all those boulders. Especially the giant ones.
Auto Generated Inline Image 1