Fix Casa de Maria?

SBitz

Feb 3, 2018, 5:02:00 AM2/3/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
We were glad to see work at Casa de Maria on Friday's flight over the area. San Ysidro Ranch seems to have made even more progress. Here are a few pix. Post a reply if you'd like to see more, or updates on other fire and flood destruction.

SBitz

Feb 3, 2018, 5:10:07 AM2/3/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
We hadn't seen signs of work at Casa on earlier flights, but maybe they were waiting for the mud to dry some? Perhaps there wasn't any equipment available at reasonable rates, planning was required, or funding was being arranged? Whatever the reasons, it brought hope to our hearts seeing some work around the chapel and dorms.

The retreat center at the left seems to be mostly impacted on the far left (North) end. As shown previously, the main meeting hall and office are completely gone. The swimming pool is buried in mud and boulders, but in the closer view below you can more easily see that somehow the little pool house seems to have survived. You can also better see how badly damaged that home across the creek is (top-left of pic below).
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2

SBitz

Feb 3, 2018, 5:17:19 AM2/3/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Just up the creek, there's a lot going on where the bridge used to be at the foot of San Ysidro Ranch.

At the top of this pic is a destroyed SY Ranch building (cottage?) that collapsed at the right end. I guess that's a capped gas pipeline inside the orange caution fence bottom-right. This is the area where several homes were burned to the ground and we saw baked soil, so I'm assuming this is where the massive gas fire was during the pre-dawn flood.

So would anyone like to see more pix? Are there specific areas several SBitZ readers would like to see? I've noticed that fewer people have viewed the flood pix I posted last week, so maybe like us everyone's overwhelmed with the tragedy of it all and wanting to move on?
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

SBitz

Feb 4, 2018, 3:08:48 AM2/4/18
to sb...@googlegroups.com

Here's an animated GIF file with white boxes on a gMaps clip comparing about where the major buildings and pool that are gone in my 2/2 aerial since the flood.

In case the animated GIF doesn't play, attached is an MP4 video clip of it you can download or click View and your web browser may show it (works in Firefox).

DSC06762.mp4
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Message has been deleted

SBitz

Feb 5, 2018, 2:00:48 AM2/5/18
to sb...@googlegroups.com
In looking at more pix, I found this closer zoom that shows the winding steps, and building foundation outlines where the main meeting room and office were. Still difficult to believe they're just gone.

For a "before" comparison, take a look at this gMaps link to a 3D composite of satellite images  roughly aligned with the above 2/2 pic. At the top-right corner of the pic you can see a small section of the winding paved road they've now scraped the mud off of.
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

SBitz

Feb 7, 2018, 6:44:45 PM2/7/18
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network

For convenience, here again is the 2/2 "after" pic:

I came across this "before" aerial pic from June 8, 2014 for more context and comparison with the above:

Though similar, the angle is a bit different. But you can still get a better idea of how much things have changed. I'd completely forgotten about the tennis court. I wonder if the pool can be repaired, but the top priority will probably be repairs to the retreat center and rebuilding the meeting room, cafeteria and office.
Auto Generated Inline Image 1