After Thomas Fire

SBitz

Dec 23, 2017, 2:42:13 AM12/23/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
As I started to launch this Settling Saturday topic, it seemed a good idea to just make it for anything further about the Thomas Fire. Containment, anything unusual or new, returning to our homes, rebuilding burned structures, repair of the forest, helping others in the community, flood risk, emergency preparedness... whatever.

SBitz

Dec 23, 2017, 6:58:30 PM12/23/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Looks like a new control burn near the ridgeline in this BC Peak pic.

From here (101@154) it seems to be somewhere in the Jameson Reservoir area. That kinda surprises me since, if so, it would be in the watershed. If anyone has more info, it would be of interest. I see they've finally reduced the outline (tho not the top way up to 9,500') of the TFR.

Ventura and Santa Paula aren't in this updated one, and I presume it still extends off the Carp coast in case things get out of hand and they need to attack any burning in that area (like the one now near the ridge).
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2

SBitz

Dec 23, 2017, 7:05:30 PM12/23/17
to Santa Barbara CitiZen Network
Just realized I hadn't looked for a wiki page, and of course there's an excellent one with 240,920 views, titled Thomas Fire. Click the link to check it out if you're not already overloaded with info about it. I'm going to read thru it later, and probably share a few aerial pix there.

SBitz

Dec 24, 2017, 4:21:19 PM12/24/17
to sb...@googlegroups.com
I'm still seeing occasional small puffs of smoke from the Ventura County back country. They're apparently too small (or brief?) to show up on IR satellite yet large enough to maintain a thin smoky area over the South V. County area. Surprises me a little, having imagined they'd try to knock it down yesterday so most fire crews could go home for a holiday break. It seems they're doing a variation of that by mostly letting it burn within containment lines with a relatively small crew to guide and monitor it. Containment is now 70% with 1,586 personnel still assigned to the fire.

InciWeb reports, "Tulle Creek and Bear Haven areas of the fire are expected to continue to have increased fire behavior." They predict "somewhat increased smoke impacts Santa Barbara east through Ventura," with wind "likely to stir up residual ash in many locations." They note that Thomas, at 273,400 acres, being the largest fire in CA history is "unprecedented in December, and it serves as a testimony to the extreme volatility of the fuels."

CalFire adds, "The fire line from Ventura to Santa Barbara is contained and secure," and "no forward progress of the fire is expected." They're "strengthening established containment lines adjacent to communities and other infrastructure," and maintaining "active patrol." They're also repairing "impacts from fire suppression activity," with resources on call in case of a flare up. They note that we "may see an increase in wildlife in local communities due to displacement from the fire. Individuals who encounter these displaced animals are encouraged to maintain a safe distance, refrain from feeding them, and if a threat to humans is perceived call 911."

We send warm appreciation and wishes for safe and happy closing days of 2017 to fire crews, and everyone impacted by this disaster.

Happy Holidays!

SBitz

Dec 24, 2017, 11:02:53 PM12/24/17
to sb...@googlegroups.com
We flew out West this evening to dust the last flakes of ash off our wings climbing over D.P. Ranch, and gazed in awe at the sunset afterglow. A ribbon of lights formed on 101 as final arrivals made their way into town past the old pier at Bacara.

Moments later climbing toward the hills, a glance back revealed shifting colors and a different perspective on the approaching night.

With these last rays of Christmas Eve painting the clouds, and the Thomas Fire resting ever more peacefully in the East, our thoughts turned to those adjusting to major disruptions as friends, loved ones and helpful strangers draw near in support. While so many of us celebrate different traditions and enjoy a break from work, we may take a pause to reflect on the year ending and the new one just ahead.

Happy Holidays! :)