[Sbcl-help] SBCL installation retrograde

Hal Wye

Jun 12, 2023, 6:31:00 AM6/12/23
to sbcl...@lists.sourceforge.net
Trying to install the SBCL 2.3.5 update, I broke my good running 2.1.9 version. So I need to revert to an older version. I'm running MacOS 10.15.7 Catalina on Intel Mac.

After much unsuccessful searching, my questions:
Is there an uninstaller for SBCL?
What is the latest version of SBCL that runs stably on Catalina (2.2.0?)?
Where to download it?

Stas Boukarev

Jun 12, 2023, 6:39:00 AM6/12/23
to Hal Wye, sbcl...@lists.sourceforge.net
What's wrong with SBCL 2.3.5?

raymond.wiker--- via Sbcl-help

Jun 12, 2023, 9:01:24 AM6/12/23
to Hal Wye, SBCL help
I just checked on my 2010 Mac Pro running MacOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra)… this was running 1.5.8.something, and was able to compile 2.3.5 from source. I also tried running 2.2.9 (from the sbcl.org Download page), and that also seems to run fine.

The previous build (for MacOS AMD64) was 1.2.11. I *think* this cannot be used to compile 2.3.5 directly, so you have to build/install an intermediate version first if you cannot use 2.2.9.

Hal Wye

Jun 13, 2023, 12:42:44 PM6/13/23
to Stas Boukarev, sbcl...@lists.sourceforge.net

My mistake after hitting some issue (I forget exactly what) with 2.3.5, I think it seemed some quicklisp incompatibility. So I deleted as many SBCL files and folders as I could find. Then tried using brew. That blew up with:

---

$ brew install sbcl

Running `brew update --auto-update`...

==> Auto-updated Homebrew!

Updated 2 taps (homebrew/core and homebrew/cask).

==> New Formulae

git-tools

You have 8 outdated formulae installed.

Warning: You are using macOS 10.15.

We (and Apple) do not provide support for this old version.

It is expected behaviour that some formulae will fail to build in this old version.

It is expected behaviour that Homebrew will be buggy and slow.

Do not create any issues about this on Homebrew's GitHub repositories.

Do not create any issues even if you think this message is unrelated.

Any opened issues will be immediately closed without response.

Do not ask for help from Homebrew or its maintainers on social media.

You may ask for help in Homebrew's discussions but are unlikely to receive a response.

Try to figure out the problem yourself and submit a fix as a pull request.

We will review it but may or may not accept it.

---

That gave me the windup so I thought to try to clear out all SBCL and go back to reinstall 2.1.9 if I could find it.

 Since then I used $ brew uninstall --force sbcl

Then, following raymond's suggestion, tried 2.2.9 with the $ sh install.sh (no brew) and SBCL seems OK.

I confess that I have a lot to catch up on re. SBCL installation. I'm at the very beginning of my migration from CCL to Emacs/SBCL. and praying that Emacs/SBCL is viable on Apple Silicon if/when I manage to get a slice of that action.

Stas Boukarev

Jun 13, 2023, 1:24:54 PM6/13/23
to Hal Wye, sbcl...@lists.sourceforge.net
You don't have to uninstall sbcl before installing a different version.