[Sbcl-devel] plans for merge of external-format-line-endings branch

Christophe Rhodes

Oct 13, 2023, 6:16:15 AM10/13/23
to sbcl-...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi,

I've received confirmation that the line-endings branch I've been
working on (current state at
<https://github.com/csrhodes/sbcl/tree/external-format-line-endings>) is
functional for at least one user.

Consequently, I'd like to merge the branch; I think it brings benefits,
despite not being perfect (there's a list of things that are not done at
the top of the modified NEWS file, as well as a list of things that are
done).

I would plan to merge it early in the next development cycle (so, in
about two weeks, after the 2.3.10 release). I hope that gives enough
time for other users who might be impacted to give the branch a try and
report any essential breakage; if there's anyone out there who needs
more time, now is the moment to shout!

I also currently plan to merge it as a patch series, not as one single
change; I think that makes it easier to see (and maybe reason about)
individual decisions during the development -- it is a cleanish history,
and every intermediate step should build and pass tests. Again, if that
might cause issues for anyone, now is the time to say so.

Best,

Christophe