Petty Officer Koa Iolani: “The Hard Choice”

Evan Delano

May 29, 2019, 10:45:52 PM5/29/19
to UFOP: StarBase 118 – USS Veritas

(( Black Sands Beach, Pacifica ))

:: For most of the Federation, the planet Risa was considered the crown jewel of resort planets. Even more so after it became a symbol of rebirth in the aftermath of the Borg invasion. But for Koa Iolani, a man who was more at home on water than on land, Pacifica’s warm, planet-spanning oceans and pristine beaches were the far superior destination. In fact, this was the only ocean he’d sailed on that he liked more than the waters around the Hawaiian Islands on Earth. ::

:: After six months on Limbo, and finally resigning himself to the possibility of spending his entire life on the beautiful, but dangerous world, it had been almost a surprise to return to Veritas. Like the ship itself, Koa had felt damaged, and in need of some TLC. He’d taken all the accumulated leave he had available, spent a week on earth, then took the first slipstream transport to Pacifica he could find. ::

:: He’d spent the last three months exploring the oceanic world, marveling at its wildlife, and generally enjoying the simple joy of being alive and free to do such outrageous things as circumnavigating an alien planet via sailing ship. He’d intentionally sealed himself off from the rest of the galaxy during that time, and so he hadn’t heard about Sentinel, the Montreal, the Tholians, or any of the other crazy things he had to deal with as part of day-to-day life in the Shoals. ::

:: So, it had come as something of a sobering shock when he’d returned to the resort on Black Sands Beach to find dozens of messages waiting for him. A total of three friends of his had died in the last few weeks. Two on Veritas, during a mission to the Menthar Corridor. A third had been one of the Veritas transfers to Montreal. Killed in a battle with some rogue Vulcan - a battle that had claimed the ship itself, in the end. ::

Iolani: Maybe I shouldn’t go back.

:: He hadn’t really known he’d spoken out loud until a pleasant feminine voice answered. He’d been standing near the edge of the water, looking out at the horizon as he thought about loss and life and his own future, and hadn’t noticed someone had approached him while he’d been lost in thought. ::

Woman: Go back to where?

:: He turned to face the source of the voice, and found a dark-skinned Betazoid woman - perhaps a year or two older than himself - with smooth features and piercing eyes. ::

Iolani: It’s a long story.

:: She smiled a kind of easy smile that left him feel a little flutter in his stomach. Betazoid women had a reputation for sensuality, but it wasn’t until this moment that Koa understood it. ::

Woman: Forgive me for prying. I try to avoid reading strangers, but you were so full of happiness I couldn’t help but feel some of it. Until a few minutes ago, anyway. Now, it’s anticipation. Dread, even.

:: Koa considered politely excusing himself. He wasn’t sure he wanted to talk. But this was no Starfleet counselor. ::

Iolani: A few friends of mine died a few weeks ago. I just found out.

Woman: Starfleet?

:: He nodded. ::

Iolani: How’d you know.

Woman: You have the right look for it. :: beat :: So you’re thinking of… what, going AWOL? That’s what they call it right?

Iolani: Yes. No. I mean… yes, that’s what they call it. But no, I’m not going AWOL. My first tour of duty ends in a few weeks, technically. If I don’t renew it, I’m free to return to my normal life.

Woman: And that’s what you long for… a “normal” life?

:: He winced at the way she said it. ::

Iolani: Not really. But… I don’t know that I want to die in some senseless battle no one will remember in five years.

Woman: Your friends?

:: He nodded. ::

:: A long silence passed between them, and Koa thought she was just waiting for a polite excuse to walk away. Instead, she surprised him. ::

Woman: All battles are senseless in some way, even the ones people remember.

:: He turned back to her, his full attention on her. Something was strange about all of this. ::

Iolani: Why do you say that?

:: She shrugged. ::

Woman: My father was in Starfleet. Enlisted, like you I gather. He died in the war. My mother died a few years later. She was on a transport captured by the Borg during their invasion. My brother, following in my father’s footsteps, joined the Rescue Armada.

Iolani: He didn’t survive?

:: She shook her head. ::

Iolani: Why are you telling me this?

Woman: I’m not sure. I felt… drawn to you. And you seem conflicted.

Iolani: So… you’re saying I shouldn’t go back?

:: She shook her head again. ::

Woman: I didn’t say that.

Iolani: It certainly sounds like it.

:: She stepped closer. She wore a simple light blue dress. Not at all revealing, and yet, somehow still exotic. Perhaps it was the way she moved. It reminded him of the way a Shark moved just beneath the surface. She extended a hand. ::

Woman: My name is Teeha Voci.

:: He shook, gingerly. Still uncertain as to what this was about. He’d been flirted with before. This was something different. And yet, his mind seemed unable to fit the pieces together. ::

Iolani: Koa Iolani.

Voci: :: slowly at first :: Koa.  Sounds almost Betazed.

Iolani: I’m very confused.

:: She flashed another one of those warm smiles. ::

Voci: How much more time do you have before you need to make a decision.

:: Koa shrugged. ::

Iolani: One way or the other, I’m supposed to report to the Starfleet Annex on Cait in one week. If I take the shuttle leaving tomorrow night, I should make it just in time. I’ll need to give my decision then.

Voci: Well then, why don’t we discuss this over some drinks.

:: Koa considered, glancing back towards the main section of the resort, including a small outdoor replimat. ::

Iolani: I suppose I am still on vacation for another few hours.

:: A few days later, when Koa stepped off of his shuttle and into the Starfleet Annex, he had no recollection of ever having met the strange woman, or of the conversation they’d had on the beach, or the things that came after. He also didn’t know what had resolved his uncertainty, or why he felt such a renewed sense of purpose. If he put any thought into it at all, he chalked it up to the end result of a long, and well-needed vacation. ::

===

Petty Officer Third Class Koa Iolani

Science Administrative Assistant

USS Veritas