Captain Roshanara Rahman: Wake the Neighbors

r.rahman

Oct 8, 2020, 11:21:06 PM10/8/20
to USS Veritas – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
(OOC: This takes place after everything that's been simmed so far. Consider this scene the latest in the shore leave timeline!)

((Captain's Ready Room, USS Veritas))

Captain Roshanara Rahman waited patiently for her next appointment as she sat in her chair behind her desk. Leaning against the back wall was her first officer, Sky Blake. The blonde woman stood ready with the wooden box that marked the occasion. Finally, the doors parted and the ship's Risian helmsman, Antero Flynn, entered and stood at attention.

Flynn: Response

Rahman: At ease, Lieutenant. Please, come in.

Flynn: Response

The Kriosian looked over towards her XO and nodded before turning back to Flynn.

Rahman: Commander Blake here was just finishing her briefing on how the last mission went.

Blake: Response

Flynn: Response

Rahman: Yes, well, in addition, she had some explicit comments about one officer's performance in particular. Yours.

Flynn: Response

Roshanara smiled slightly as she stood up from her chair and walked around her desk, beckoning for Blake to come forward as well.

Rahman: Lieutenant Antero Flynn, for exception performance of your duties in the best traditions of Starfleet--and upon the recommendation of the acting CO at the time Lt. Commander Sky Blake who witnessed such actions--I am pleased to hereby promote you to the rank of Lieutenant Commander, with all the rights and
privileges
 thereof.

Flynn: Response

The captain turned and opened the box Blake gave her and took out the new third pip she would add to Flynn's uniform. After she pinned on the new pip, she looked up at the man and offered a broader smile.

Rahman: Congratulations!

Flynn: Response

Blake: Response

Rahman: Now that's settled, I'd like you two to help me with something.

Flynn: Response

Blake: Response

She gestured for them to follow her as she headed out of the ready room. She hadn't told Blake this part yet.

Rahman: Well, it seems my first officer is quite audacious when it comes to atmospheric flight operations.

From behind her came Blake's response.

Blake: Response

Rahman: Uh-huh. I suppose you just wanted to let Commander Flynn show off a bit.

Flynn: Response

Blake: Response

The trio crossed the bridge and headed to the other doorway to the deck 1 corridor, making their way to the emergency airlock.

Rahman: Still, seeing all that... *sunshine* every morning...

She turned and looked back at Flynn and Blake, a slightly crazed look in her eyes evident.

Rahman: ...it gave me *ideas.*

Blake: Response

Flynn: Response

Rahman: Well... how often can you go out onto the hull without an EVA suit? So why not enjoy the opportunity?

Blake: Response

Flynn: Response

The captain nodded and then moved over to enter her access code to open the airlock. With a hiss, the doors slowly parted, and the sunshine from outside crept in.

Rahman: Let's go for a little walk, shall we?

Blake: Response

Flynn: Response

While not as large as a Galaxy or Sovereign class, Veritas was still a decently sized medium cruiser, and walking on top of the hull and seeing the far edge of the saucer end ahead like a cliff was quite the sight. Their footsteps resonated with
metallic
thuds as they headed out towards the ship's name and registry.

Rahman: A beautiful day, isn't it?

Flynn: Response

Blake: Response

They neared the ship's name and the U of the first letter of the prefix. Something though caught the sunlight.

Rahman: Commander Blake, I left you a perfectly good ship, and now there's a blemish on it!

Blake: Response

Rahman: Well, go check it out, will you?

Blake: Response

As the woman neared, the "blemish" was in fact, another pip, except this one solid rather than the hollow black pip of Lt. Commander.

Blake: Response

Rahman: Hmmm, maybe someone lost one out here.

Blake: Response

Rahman: No, you're probably right.

She took the pip and rubbed it against her own uniform to clean it. She then stepped up to Blake.

Rahman: Lt. Commander Blake, having reviewed your actions as a commanding officer in this most recent mission, I recommended your promotion to the rank of commander, and I received Starfleet Command's approval today. As such, I am pleased to bestow upon you now that rank with all the rights and privileges thereof. Congratulations, Commander!

Blake: Response

Flynn: Response

Above them suddenly, the forward torpedo launcher shot out a projectile into the air with a deafening boom. It wasn't a torpedo, however, as the object soared into the air before exploding into a shower of fireworks.

The noise quickly shifted into the sound of applause and cheers as other crew members approached the trio running onto the hull from other airlock doors opening up across the saucer. Tables, chairs, and most importantly refreshments--and cake!--were beamed in, or rather, onto the top of the ship.

Any: Response

As the crew gathered around them, Roshanara gestured to the two officers beside her.

Rahman: Officers and crew of the USS Veritas, may I present the newest Commander and Lieutenant Commander in Starfleet: Lt. Commander Antero Flynn and "just" Commander Sky Blake!

She said the last bit with a wink at the Brekkian/Betazoid, in reference to the Valtese rogue Kallo Ver, whose nickname for Blake just became a lot more accurate.

Any: Response

Blake: Response

Flynn: Response

Rahman: Commander Ukinix, I believe you mentioned you had the perfect playlist of musical selections for the occasion?

Ukinix: Response

Rahman: Excellent! Then everyone, let's begin the celebrations. It's not every day you get to dance on the hull.

As the music started, Roshanara herself ran off to grab some cake. As she happily scooped up a piece, her security chief joined her.

Rahman: Commander Kelrod, you outdid yourself with that fireworks display.

Kelrod: Response

She nodded, though she rubbed her ear.

Rahman: Although the launcher is a lot louder outside of a vacuum. I think I still hear the ringing.

Kelrod: Response

TAG!

(OOC: Everyone should join us to celebrate Blake and Flynn's promotions! What other things might have been brought onto the hull are up to you. Think dance party/fair/carnival atmosphere but whatever you want to add is up to you all. Just leave some cake!)

Captain Roshanara Rahman
CO, USS Veritas
I238705TZ0