Lt Cmdr Wil Ukinix - Long Slow Goodbye (Redux)

Wil Ukinix

Oct 4, 2021, 5:09:51 AM10/4/21
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

(OOC: Happens before the awards ceremony)

(OOC2: Repost to include Rahman’s extended tags.  This sim was originally named after this song:  Long Slow Goodbye - YouTube and still seems fitting in reference to the Veritas.  I have included the end soundtrack for Roshie’s and Wil’s final walk on to the bridge from Rich’s sim because it was a fantastic choice.  Thank you all for a wonderful few years on the Veritas)

((Captain’s Ready Room, USS Veritas))

Wil pressed the chime on the door, and waited for the acknowledgement to enter from his Captain.  He took a quick look at his shoulder to once again look at the cleaners and removalists who were getting ready for everyone to depart.  He didn’t know how he felt about them being there so early.  It was probably standard operating procedure, but still…

Ukinix: Captain?  It’s awards time.  But there’s one important thing that I’ve been overlooking, and I need to take care of.

Some of the decorations that had adorned Roshanara’s ready room were missing, and the room felt somewhat bare.  Those missing decorations were in an open suitcase on the Captain’s desk.

Rahman: Of course... which form is it *this* time that I need to fill out? I swear, this is Commander Zhou's revenge for not having gotten command of Veritas five years ago.

Roshie chuckled a little, showing signs of tiredness.

Ukinix: Well…

((Flashback – Bridge, Stardate 239511.18))

Ukinix: Captain Rahman. Ensign Wil Ukinix reporting for duty, Sir.

Wil’s initial nervousness and embarrassment from being the new person waned slightly.  His mind snapped properly to the present, and he looked around to assess the situation.  He felt alertness as well as relief in the other officers here.  He could see a few of them also had wry grins.  What had he just walked into?:

Rahman: Ensign, right on time. ::She gestured to Teller.:: This is Ensign Teller, the acting chief engineer.

Wil looked towards Teller, and could sense his feeling of shock and surprise – that, and the position his eyebrows were in would make a Vulcan jealous.

Rahman: For now.

Teller: Damn, Captain, I didn't think the coffee was that good.  Thank you, I won't let you down.

Rahman: We’ll have to finish the check in later. Go with Ensign Teller down to engineering to begin damage assessment and repair.

Ukinix: ::Blinking his eyes a few times.:: Ah – OK! I mean, Aye sir.

((End Flashback))

Wil stood to attention, and placed his hands behind his back.

Ukinix: ::Slight smirk:: Wil Ukinix checking in with you, Captain Rahman.  Two years and ::Eyes up, left:: ten months late.  ::Eyes back forward:: But, ::slight shrug:: you know.  Better late than never.

Wil couldn’t see Roshanara’s face, but sensed some amusement in her.  He smirked to himself a little, proud that he managed to raise at least a smile, and was happy that she was along for the ride.

That was, until she cleared her throat.

Rahman: You call that "at attention," Commander? I don't remember telling you "at ease," Mister!

oO Bloody hell! Oo

As his empathic senses all but deserted him from the shock of Roshanara’s voice, Wil stood much taller and straighter than before.

Rahman: You're lucky this tour isn't technically over yet for another four hours. Or else, I'd have to draw you up on AWOL charges.

Ukinix: ::Looking straight ahead:: That would give me cause to go straight to the Esperance Pub. Ma’am!

Rahman: Did I tell you to speak, Commander? Attention!

Ukinix: No ma’am!  I mean, yes ma'am.  ::Slightly relaxing, glancing at Roshanara, smiling:: Ah, that old trick, you got me-

Rahman: Drop and give me twenty!

Without hesitation, Wil dropped to the ground.  As he performed his push ups, his mind briefly cast back to another moment that involved the floor of the ready room.

((Flashback – 239605.02))

Rahman: Sit down, all of you.

Wil slowly turned to sit, but awkwardly couldn’t work out what to do when Teller and Jansen had already claimed the only two seats and were in the process of sitting in them.  He looked around and eyed the small couch along the well.

Ukinix: oO Well, if I’m going to get chewed out, it may as well be in comfort- Oo

Rahman: You can sit on the floor.

Ukinix: ::Quickly:: Aye sir.

Will did a 360, like a dog would when looking for the best way to orient itself to find the most comfortable configuration to sit in.  He then lowered himself down on his backside, and awkwardly put his hands behind him, bending his knees.  In that moment, he had the realisation that sitting like that would look too relaxed and could be interpreted as insubordination.  So, he quickly and awkwardly leaned forward, crossed his legs, and clasped his fingers together as he put his hands in his lap, and looked up at the captain – like he was in kindergarten again.

((End Flashback))

At the “three” count, his Captain *stepped over him* to get some items from of the shelves.  At eight, she stepped back over him to put those items in her suitcase.

Rahman: So what do you have to say for yourself, Mister Ukinix?

Ukinix
: It’s been an honour serving under ::exhale:: your command, and a ::exhale:: privilege to be Second Officer of the ::exhale:: USS Veritas.  ::Smiling:: Thank you for the ::exhale:: opportunities you’ve given me, ::exhale:: ma’am.  I’ve loved every second ::exhale::  of being here.  ::exhale::

He could hear the sound of Roshanara snickering over the sounds of his exertions against artificial gravity.

Rahman: All right, get the $#%@ up. Can't have you getting too sweaty before the final ceremony.

Ukinix: ::Slight panting, lowering himself down:: But I only got to seventeen, Captain.

He rested back on his knees, dusted off his thighs, before standing up at relaxed attention in front of his Captain, his hands once again clasped behind his back.

Rahman: It's been a privilege for me, Commander, to watch you become the fine officer and gentleman you are over these few years.

Ukinix: ::Smile, slight blush:: Thank you, Captain.

Rahman: Do you know where you are headed to next?

Ukinix: No, not as yet.  I’m heading home to Earth to take leave, they’re going to let me know in transit.

Rahman: ::nods:: I have no doubt you'll shine and serve with distinction.

Wil smiled, and felt himself stand slightly taller, again.

Ukinix: Thank you, Captain.

Rahman: Well... I suppose we shouldn't keep them waiting.

As they made their way out of the ready room, Wil paced ahead to the bridge then addressed everyone there.

Ukinix: Captain on the bridge!

Everyone that was present on the bridge turned to face Captain Rahman and stood to attention.

Wil followed his pint-sized Captain as she made her way across what had been her domain for five years.  She had honoured the chair that was in the middle of it.  Serving under Captain Rahman had been formative for Wil, and as sad as he was to be leaving the Veritas, he had a feeling he’d see Captain Rahman again.

Rahman: ...as you were.

END SCENE. Soundtrack for Roshanara and Wil's final walk through the bridge and to the ceremony: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fow61Zsn2s

Lieutenant Commander Wil Ukinix

Chief Engineer, Second Officer