JP: Lt Cmdr Ukinix and Captain Rahman: Do I Wanna Know? (Finale, part 1)

r.rahman

Oct 18, 2020, 8:44:48 AM10/18/20
to USS Veritas – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Holding Cells, Rixx Police Plaza, Betazed))

Roshanara and Wil walked in, escorted by Detective Deya Staxi into the prisoner holding section of the police headquarters. Like most areas on Betazed, even here the architecture was warm and inviting. If one didn’t know the charges against the individuals held here, it almost looked like a simple waiting area.

The trio stepped up to one cell, notably different from the others with the presence of two Starfleet security officers acting as sentries. The captain nodded at one of them before looking into the cell at the man sitting inside.

Jar’sa was a Baku man, tall and with dark brown hair and a beard to match. With her empathic senses, Roshanara could tell that the man was more introverted than the “sandman” personality Wil and Aagan had described. The man that sat before them was like a caged mouse more than the menacing terror they were expecting.

Rahman: I’m Captain Roshanara Rahman, Starfleet.

Jar’sa lay on the bed, looking up at the ceiling, saying nothing. The Kriosian studied the man for a moment before shifting her tone a bit softer.

Rahman: Pretty clever… repurposing the Forum’s holographic communication feed. Turning it into a psionic projection field.

She took a step forward.

Rahman: And finding a way to imprint a holographic AI into the victim’s mind… quite genius actually, if a bit sinister.

Jar’sa looked up but didn’t say anything.  Wil continued on from his Captain to try and illicit a response from the prisoner.

Ukinix: ::Looking at PADD:: I have the specifications right here.  This is brilliant engineering.  ::Looking at Jar’sa:: You should be proud of yourself.

Deya crossed her arms, not hiding her impatience.

Staxi: I already know you want to say something… especially to them. Just get it off your chest and out of my head, already.

Rahman: It’s all right, Detective. He’ll have a lot of time to think about what he wants to say on the transport to a Federation penal colony after his trial.

But at this, the Baku man finally broke his silence.

Jar’sa: ...I’m glad the Maquis Reborn have got the Federation’s attention again.

The captain crossed her arms.

Rahman: Excuse me? Big words from a small man sitting in a jail cell. But that was your fatal flaw in all this, wasn’t it? You just couldn’t help trying to make yourself into something grander, someone more terrifying. And your vanity led us straight to you.

Jar’sa: Your words mean nothing to me, Starfleet.

Rahman: And soon, you’ll be nothing to Starfleet… or the Federation. Same with the Maquis Reborn. Just a footnote in history.

Jar’sa: Is that so?  Because the Federation should be concerned.

He stood up from the bed he was sitting on, crossed his arms, and walked over to stand near the force field that was holding him in his cell.  He gave Roshanara a piercing look.

Jar’sa: I would be if I was a Federation citizen.

Wil sensed determination and conviction in the man.  It made his drop his jaw a little.  This was the closest he had been to someone so intent on causing so much terror.

Rahman: It’s too late. We’ve already uncovered the rest of your work here on Betazed. Your plans have failed, and you’re going to spend the rest of your days wondering what else your life could have been.

Becoming incensed, Jar’sa gave a wry grin, before sneering at the Starfleet Captain.

Jar’sa: Oh.  Oh!  ::Chuckle:: You think it’s too late?  How ironic.  You’ll soon discover it’s the *Federation* that is too late.  I know who you are, Captain Rahman. And you’re a long way from the Shoals.

Nervously, Wil pressed him further.

Ukinix: ::Anxious tone:: What do you mean?

Jar’sa slowly turned to look at Wil.

Jar’sa: ::Nodding at Wil:: All of the Maquis Reborn sisters and brothers are watching Antor II’s drive for independence closely.  Systems like theirs inspire us.

Ukinix: We’ve stopped you.  The rest of Starfleet will stop the others, Jar’sa.

Jar’sa: Young man, we haven’t even started.  The Maquis Reborn are all over the Federation, just waiting for their moment.  ::Shaking head, wicked smile:: You have no idea how much we’ve grown in the last few years.  But soon you will.

((Rixx Medical Centre))

The Ukinix family had gathered again at the hospital, but this time for a far more happy occasion. Hayley Ukinix and the other victims had recovered once a treatment was devised to counter the effects of the psionic weapon.

Wil sat by the bad, holding his grandmother’s hand.

Hayley: ::To Rahman:: Has he behaved himself, Captain?

Ukinix: Grandma!

Rahman: Perhaps a bit too well.

His captain gave him a playful grin.

Ukinix : Captain!

Anacem stood nearby and simply snickered in approval at his son’s embarrassment. The doors to the room opened and in stepped Wil’s cousin Keehani. She looked like she wanted to say something. Upon seeing her, Roshanara nodded back at Wil.

Rahman: I’ll let you all have some time alone. I have a lot of reports to file.

Wil gave his Captain a polite nod as she left, before shifting his eyes to Keehani.  She was silent for a few seconds, before finally speaking.

Keehani: I’m sorry.  ::To Hayley:: I had no idea this was going to happen to you.

Keehani held back tears, before Hayley gestured for her to come closer to the bed.  Hayley held Keehani’s hand.

Hayley: Keehani, I know.  Wil told me.

Anacem: Wil was spot on though, Keehani.  One of the reasons he didn’t want Mum to get involved with you was because of the membership of the Betazed Keepers.

Keehani/Ukinix: ::In Unison:: Guardians of Betazed.

Anacem: ::Raised eyebrow:: Yeah that.

Keehani: ::Looking at Wil:: I renounced my membership.  ::Dry chuckle:: Everyone’s pretty much left anyway after everything that’s happened.  And now I’m on a Federation watch list.  ::Shaking head:: I really thought independence was best for Betazed.  ::Sigh:: But I’m just going to focus on my studies, and my grandmother from now on.

Ukinix: Keehani, a little while ago we were talking about you.  You’re family, and we’d like it you and Vaxa would come and visit us on Earth.

Keehani wiped tears from her eyes, and couldn’t hold back a smile.

Keehani: Really?

Hayley: Once I’m recovered, we’d love to have you both stay with us.  We can talk about how nice it will be for Vaxa to get the Ninth House back with her, where it belongs.

A smile appeared on Wil’s face as he looked at Keehani, as he sensed her surprise.

Ukinix: We need to let Grandma rest, but Dad and I were wondering if you’d like to come have a drink with the two of us?

Keehani ran around the other side of the bed, and wrapped Wil up in a hug that was more like a tackle.

Ukinix: ::Muffled voice:: That’s a yes, then?

Anacem: ::Cheekily:: Hurry up you two.  I’m thirsty.

TBC…

Keehani Ukinix
Exopolitics Student & Member, Guardians of Betazed
University of Betazed, Medara campus
V239511WU0

&

Anacem Ukinix