JP Ens MacKenzie, Lt JG Ukinix - Roots [Part 1]

Addison MacKenzie

May 26, 2019, 6:06:46 AM5/26/19
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Ninth House Estate, Araraniax Village outskirts, Arandel, Betazed))

::Keehani had given Wil the coordinates to transport to.  She specifically told him to beam to a path *outside* of the main grounds of the Ninth house estate, a winding gravel path that led through farm lands and gardens to the primary residence.

Wil had asked Addison if she had wanted to tag along. Given recent developments with Ghant and Andy, she leapt at the opportunity for some distraction.

Wil had told Addison the details about his family, and their history on Betazed.  He’d also told her they were meeting Keehani here.::

::Addison and Wil materialised at the beginning of the path.  They were surrounded by well manicured trees and plants surrounding them.  In the distance were fields growing different types of crops - mostly of types that two people from Earth wouldn’t recognise.  Surprisingly, nearby there were some Earth crops grown here also - a few fields of wheat.::

Ukinix: The beauty of this planet still stuns me.

MacKenzie: I had no idea, honestly. ::pausing:: I mean, you read and learn about other cultures, but until you actually get the experience of it… I might not understand the cultural nuances, but there’s certainly a lot to love here.

Ukinix: ::Sighing:: Well it’s opened my eyes up a bit. ::Looking around:: A lot, actually.

MacKenzie: I can only imagine! So, tell me about Keehani?

Ukinix: Keehani? ::Small ironic laugh:: She’s family, but I’ve only just met her.  I’m not sure I fully trust her yet.

MacKenzie: Hmm, something strike you as untrustworthy?

::As a swirl of sparkles started to appear near them, as Keehani began to materialise.::

Ukinix: I guess we’ll find out.

::The sparkles stopped and became humanoid figure.::

Keehani: ::Cheekily:: Hello cousin.

Ukinix: Hmm, don’t push your luck.  We’ve only known each other for a few days.  *Second cousin*.

::Turning to Addison.::

Ukinix: Doctor MacKenzie, this is Keehani Ral.

::Addison raised her eyebrows, picking up on the tension, and offered an overly-emphatic smile as she extend her hand.::

MacKenzie: Addison MacKenzie. Such a pleasure to meet you!

::Keehani held out her hand to Addison.::

Keehani: ::Confidently:: Likewise.

::She turned to look at Wil.::

Keehani: So, ready?

Ukinix: ::Shrugging:: As I’ll ever be.

MacKenzie: ::gesturing:: I’ll follow your lead.

::They began their walk along the gravel path, their feet crunching as they walked.::

Ukinix: ::To Keehani:: So you haven’t been here yet either.

Keehani: Nope. But I know what to expect.

MacKenzie: ...expect?

Keehani: Mmm hmm. But I’m not going to say any more,  I’m going to let Wil see it for himself. That Rivi Vataix, she actually made a good suggestion that you should come here.  Unusual for a noble like that to be so smart.

MacKenzie: oO Maybe I should have taken my chances with Ghant… Oo

::Wil raised his eyebrows at Keehani’s quip.::

Ukinix: Oh, she’s smart.  She knows what she’s doing.  But she said something to me about Betazed being a rose with thorns?  Still haven’t worked that one out.

::The path followed into a forest of thick trees, which got thicker as they walked along.  It was denser that Wil was used to seeing.::

Keehani: ::To Addison:: I didn’t see you at the party last night?

MacKenzie: I made a… brief appearance.

Keehani: ::Nodding slowly:: Oh, I see.

MacKenzie: Yes, I had ::clearing her throat:: something else I needed to attend to.

Ukinix: Keehani wasn’t meant to be there, she tried to crash it and almost didn’t get in, Aagan Eislas helped me out.  ::Smiling:: He was a nice bloke.

Keehani: ::To Addison, raising her eyebrows:: And handsome.

MacKenzie: ::faking a faint smile:: I’m sure.

::There was about of minute of silence as they continued walking along.  The breeze picked up a little, and the only thing to be heard besides the trees rustling was the sound of their feet on the path.  Wil could sense Keehani was nervous, before she spoke up in an attempt to calm herself.::

Keehani: ::To Addison:: So you’re a Doctor, what’s it like serving on a starship?

MacKenzie: It’s intense, to say the least. Routine exploration interrupted by moments of terror. ::she chuckled nervously::

::Keehani smiled and nodded, before there was a moment of pause.::

Keehani: Sounds frantic compared to my life.   I’m a student a the University of Betazed.  ::Pointing at ground:: Medara campus.  I’m studying exopolitics. I’m hoping to be a diplomat one day, for Betazed.

::Wil put his hand out and touched some leaves of a nearby tree as they walked along.::

Ukinix: With the Federation you mean?

Keehani: Maybe.  Or… maybe for Betazed.  You see, there are many students at my university that think Betazed should have more autonomy.

MacKenzie: That’s an interesting point of view...

Keehani: The devastation we’ve suffered here in our recent history has caused many people to think about independence.

::Wil furrowed his brow.::

Ukinix: From the Federation?

MacKenzie: Certainly there aren’t that many people...

Keehani: ::chuckling:: Oh, I’m not the only one.  There’s a political organisation, the Guardians of Betazed, that’s become popular, especially amongst students.  The view of what independence means varies between different groups of Guardians… but we all have one goal.  That’s to put a spotlight Betazed’s membership of the Federation.

Lieutenant JG Wil Ukinix

Engineering Officer

USS Veritas

V239511WU0