[V-SL] Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek: Ready to Go

Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek

Jun 14, 2018, 4:14:32 AM6/14/18
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

OOC: Takes place the morning after Lael’s counseling session.

((Science Lab 1, USS Veritas))

{{Time Index: 0800 hours}}

::She studied the man, biting her lower lip to again suppress the laugh threatening to break free. He was funny in his quirky way. Pushing the thought from her mind, she moved to the side a bit and motioned him forward, then pointed to one of the displays.::

Rosek: I’ve managed to pull up a map of the planet generated by a probe we sent to the surface. I was hoping we could use what we know about the element to narrow down possible locations where it might be found.

Alentonis: Okay. :: He paused thoughtfully as he came forward to study it, and said nothing for several moments. :: And where do you think that is?

Rosek: ::shrugs:: That’s why I asked you here, Professor. You seem to possess the most knowledge of anyone regarding this element. So your expertise on this little expedition would be invaluable.

::She entered a series of commands into the console and it projected a three-dimensional map of Romulus. When she entered another series of commands it zoomed in on the Northern Hemisphere, highlighting the region.::

Rosek: You said that deposits were found here before the planet was destroyed. Do you think it's possible to extrapolate potential locations on the planet we’re currently in orbit of based on conditions in that region on Romulus?

Alentonis: Possibly. We know the metal was at least abundant enough in the 23rd century to make the box, but I couldn’t find any record on the process of mining or manufacturing it into a usable form. Depending on what your toys found, we may have something to work with.

Rosek: ::nods:: I’m hoping we find enough to determine the properties so we can create an isotope that can be replicated for commercial industrial use.

Alentonis: Well, I wish us luck. Or something.

Rosek: ::meets his gaze and grins:: Me and you both. We might need it.

Alentonis: What did you mean by “grab a kit?”

::She opened her mouth to reply, but was cut off by her team entering one after another. She rose and turned, directing her gaze toward them, and offered a smile.::

Rosek: Just in time. Professor Alentonis and I were just going over maps for the region.

Wolfe: Hope the search area isn't too big.

Shandres: If it’s down there, we’ll find it!

Rotha/Any: Response

::The doors parted again, this time revealing a Cygnian man, Crewman Bolser Neguza. His violet hair and cat-like amethyst eyes made him stand out in his gold-collared uniform, his mouse-like tail swinging slightly behind him as he stopped in front of her, standing at attention. She recognized him from Engineering. He’d just transferred to the Veritas about a week ago.::

Rosek: ::smirks:: Crewman. Did you get lost again?

Neguza: ::blushes:: A little, ma’am. I’ve never been to the Science Labs.

Rosek: ::chuckles:: Glad you found us.

Wolfe: Wouldn't want to leave without you.

Rotha/Any: Response

Rosek: ::smirks:: I hope everyone brought their climbing gear. We’re going on a little treasure hunt.

::In truth, the thought of a climb to retrieve their prize was one that filled her with more than a little anxiety. She’d run plenty of holodeck programs trying to get her courage back, but facing the real thing was a whole different animal. After the fall that had shattered her spine and nearly left her paralyzed at 19, she was reluctant to put herself in that situation again.::

::She knew that, even if it was for her duty, both Dassa and Chythar would cluck their tongues at her reproachfully for even considering it. Climbing was a dangerous thing when you didn’t know what you were doing...and sometimes it was even when you did.::

Rotha/Any: Response

Alentonis: Ah, maybe that's what "grab a kit" meant. I think it's only fair to warn you, I haven't been climbing in a while. May be a bit rusty.

Shandres: Don’t worry. If you fall, we’ll catch you.

::Lael fought back a wince. The last thing they needed was a casualty on their hands. She made a mental note to pair up with the good doctor and to volunteer to be the one securing their anchors. She most definitely didn’t want to repeat her near-death experience.::

Wolfe: Hope there's treasure to be found.

Rosek: ::grins:: If by treasure, you mean an element that could change a great deal of how we operate in the Shoals...that’s my hope, too.

Rotha / Any: Response

Alentonis: :: nodding toward it :: Is there any way to make this thing display a map of the planet we're hovering over so I can start narrowing possible search areas?

::Lael’s focus was drawn back to the matter at hand and she reached for the controls before pulling her hand away, mentally shaking her head, remembering something Mei’konda had told her.::

((Flashback))

((Captain’s Ready Room, USS Veritas))

{{Time Index: Three Months Earlier}}

Rosek: ::pauses:: I’ve been meaning to talk to Commander Walker about the Assistant Chief position. As I understand it, Carter Greyson vacated the spot when he transferred to the SAR team.

Mei’konda: I believe that’s true.  Repaairs are progressing well, I’d imagiine you could find a spare minute or two to speak with her in the next few days.  What’s holdiing you baack?

Rosek: ::blushes:: Honestly? Partly because I haven’t had the chance and partly because just the thought of holding that conversation with my direct superior terrifies me beyond reason.

Mei’konda: I can understaand that, but there are logiical reasons why it would be a good idea, you know.

::She arched an eyebrow in perhaps a poor attempt to disguise her surprise. Her ambitious nature meant she was always driving for the next step on the ladder and her impulsive nature meant she was often pushing for it before she was truly ready. To hear Mei’konda essentially saying that he thought she was ready to take on such an important role in her department was extremely flattering.::

Rosek: Oh?

Mei’konda: For one, you are the most senior engineer on the shiip, next to Commander Walker.  It makes sense from a seniiority perspectiive.

Rosek: ::pauses and nods slowly:: I suppose you’re right.

Mei’konda: Secondly, it’s the perfect plaace to start.  You’ll have an immediate senior, but I imagine you’ll be in command of beta or delta shift.  It’s a good plaace to start. But if I may offer a small piece of adviice?

Rosek: ::smiles and nods:: I’ll take all of it I can get.

::It wasn’t like they hadn’t been giving her bits and pieces of wisdom since she’d joined the crew anyway. The fact that her Captain and First Officer were taking such an interest in her career was perhaps one of the biggest reasons behind her recent boost in confidence. She had value...a sense of belonging...something that she’d spent her whole life seeking. From the early days in her youth where she’d been teased and bullied for being a child of two worlds, neither of which she’d ever belong to completely, it was an amazing feeling to be around people who looked past her genetics and saw the passion in her heart for what she did.::

Mei’konda: Every officer haas a different style of command.  I have a feeling that you miight find yourself with a tendency to micromaanage your crew at first.  Just maake sure you remember how traiined and experienced they are, and let them do thiings differently than you miight, once in a while.

Rosek: ::chuckles:: You know me so well already. ::meets his gaze and smiles:: I’ll keep that in mind, sir.

::She paused for a moment before rising.::

Rosek: ::smiles:: Thank you for taking time out of your day. I know it must be busy with all of the AARs hitting your inbox. I should probably let you get back to it.

((End Flashback))

Shandres: Sure thing, doc. Bringing up the planet… now.

::She offered Taz a smile, pleased to see the young woman taking the initiative. She had great promise...and not just because she was the Captain’s daughter. Taz was very bright and wasn’t shy about doing what needed to be done, even at the risk of her own life. She made a mental note to suggest to Mei’konda that the young woman get some sort of commendation for her efforts aboard the Astraeus.::

Wolfe: Shall we start the briefing?

Rosek: ::smirks:: Patience, Mr. Wolfe. Let the doctor gather his thoughts. He is, after all, our expert on the element.

Rotha / Any: Response

​Alentonis: The objective, as I understand it, is to track down a metal called

reskariaehhrr, a rare Romulan type element. It has some sort of weird metallic properties that make it immune to tetryon radiation, as the entire box we have aboard was made from the stuff and didn't mess with your spiffy tricord-gizmo thingies.  It also has a high melting point: 700 degrees Fahrenheit. On the box we have, from interior to exterior seven inches thick. Prior to its destruction, the metal could be found on the northern hemisphere of Romulus. For those of you who don't speak Romulan, the name translates to Standard as "knife metal." :: He paused and realized he was now rambling and cast a sheepish glance toward Commander Rosek. :: Did I miss anything, commander?

Rosek: ::smiles and shakes her head:: I believe that pretty much covers it.

Wolfe: Response

Any: Response

Shandres: So if this metal was native to Romulus, then we’re probably looking for whatever the Romulans had brought with them to this planet, right?

Rosek: ::nods:: That’s what we’re supposing based on the information we have, yes.

Wolfe/Any: Response

Alentonis: Not necessarily. My working theory is that it was native to Romulus because of the records I found of its existence in that one particular place. It’s possible that there is some on the planet. Why do you ask?

Shandres: :: Nodding. :: Well, I’m just thinking that our sample isn’t just some ore lying about. It was a finished product, a box. Any other objects with that metal are likely to be similar then on the planet, so we could narrow our search by looking for other known Romulan metals and materials.

Rosek: ::arches an eyebrow:: That’s actually a good suggestion.

::It was an impressive one to say the least. Lael had been focused on locating deposits of the element, failing to consider that this was a different planet and likely didn’t have the same natural resources as Romulus. There was always the possibility, but Taz’s plan sounded like their best bet until they discovered otherwise.::

Wolfe/Any: Response

Alentonis: It’s a thought. It’d be at least a good starting point. You have known Romulan metals in your LCARS thingie?

Rosek: ::pauses:: Some. I could look into the rest with the help of a couple of my contacts.

Wolfe / Shandres / Any: Response

Alentonis: She has a good theory. If we narrowed the search parameters to trace only known Romulan metals, there’s a chance, albeit a slim one, that we may find some of the reskariaehhrr as well.

Rosek: ::nods:: We’ll start there, then.

Wolfe / Shandres / Any: Response

Alentonis: Sure. Let’s do it.

((OOC: I’m going to end the scene here, but I’d love to write flashbacks and backsimms with everyone during the next shoreleave…))

​​

---

Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek, Eng.D.

Engineering Officer