Ensign Tahlin Alse - Best Use of Time

Ryan Kojary

Mar 18, 2020, 12:43:09 PM3/18/20
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com
((Briefing Room, Deck 1 - USS Veritas))

Tahlin and Commander Rouiancet arrived at the Briefing Room doors and Tahlin gestured for the Commander to enter first. Inside were Lieutenant Ukinix and Commander Orrey already standing around a serving of donuts on the table.

Alse: Good morning Commander, Lieutenant.

Orrey: Good morning. I hope you all find yourself well this morning.

Rouiancet: Very well, sir, thank you.

Ukinix: Hey you two. ::To Tahlin:: Ensign, welcome back mate, how was your trip?

Alse: Cardassia is still the Lotus Flower of the Alpha Quadrant, it was nice to see the Coranum Sector in springtime once again.

Despite being so poetic he was still leaving out just about everything that had happened during his stay. Truth be told he still wasn't sure what to make of it.

Orrey: Good to know you enjoyed your leave.

Tahlin had certainly enjoyed... parts of it, if nothing else it was nice to see old friends, even if it wasn't merely a nice nostalgic visit in the end.

Rouiancet: And a good thing we were in the neighborhood, more or less.

The Shoals were a world away from the Federation and the rest of the Alpha Quadrant thanks to the unique astrological phenomena that made speed and rapidity a foreign concept. With modern QSD he had been to Earth, seen his parents twice and been home to Cardassia all in the span of time it had taken him to initially reach the Veritas when he was first assigned; just over a month.

Ukinix: Well, those donuts aren't going to eat themselves.

Tahlin took a donut and started eating it methodically.

Orrey: Right so Lieutenant why don't you get things started.

Ukinix: ::Rubbing hands together:: Ensign, given your operations background, this is a good opportunity for you to be a conduit between Commander Rouiancet and Engineering, especially in high pressure circumstances when we're trying to fight fires.  Sometimes literally.

Alse: :: Tahlin merely nodded.:: Of course Lieutenant.

Rouiancet: I'd certainly appreciate the help.

Tahlin certainly knew from experience that Commander Rouiancet could certainly benefit from whatever limited expertise he had accrued on the Operations console. Still he... well he would think more on it later.

Alse: So what's our assignment? I understand Captain Rahman is still away on Krios Prime.

Orrey: For now, standard operations.

Rouiancet: (with slight trepidation) Sir, forgive me, but do I hear a "but" in there somewhere...?

Tahlin joined the Commander in her skepticism that everything was business as usual on the Veritas, or at least that they could stick to that plan.

Ukinix: ::Smiling:: All good Lia, all routine, everything's hunky dory at the moment.

Orrey: We want you two to work together. Talhin you have been an operations officer on the Veritas so you know the ins and outs as well as any little peculiarities the ship has you can share that information with Lia. ::looking to the woman now.:: Likewise the Engineering department needs to have a good synergy with Operations. I know I don't have to mention how the post is a liaison with the Engineering department from the bridge, so consider the liaison to go both ways.

Rouiancet: That sounds excellent to me. I'll look forward to the help, and to more knowledge when it comes to the ship.

Ukinix: That'll come over time, Lieutenant.  You can lean on all three of us for any questions about the ship, don't be shy.

Alse: If we're just holding position at the Spacedock I'm sure I'll have more than enough time to assist Commander Rouiancet.

Orrey: Responses

Rouiancet: (slight smile) I was just prepared for something much more daunting -- a mission in which we had to go rescue the captain, or something like that. This is a pleasant relief.

Tahlin saw Lieutenant Ukinix look out the window to the view of Cait.

Ukinix: If circling around a planet is our current mission, we've got it nailed.

Alse: But will it stay that way?

Orrey: Responses

Rouiancet: No, please go on.

Alse: Any number of things could happen, I had a month to read the Veritas mission logs when I was first assigned here.

With the conversation going on, Wil finally reached for one of the donuts - the one covered in cinnamon sugar.  He took a bite, and while his taste buds danced, he felt sugar stick to his fingers.

Orrey: Response

When Jansen threw to Wil to speak, he was caught with a literal mouthful.  Slightly embarrassed, and with a mouthful of donut, he chuckled quietly, while there were a few moments of silence.

Ukinix: ::Smiling:: Sorry.  Timing.  But... yum.

He chewed a few times, then swallowed while brushing the sugar from his fingers.

Ukinix: ::Smirking:: Just testing out that self-cleaning ship technology.

Alse: If we're truly just holding position with a full crew we could use this opportunity for professional development.

Orrey/Rouiancet: Responses

Ukinix: Have we had word in the nacelle 3 deviation from the Cait space dock crews?

Alse: I haven't had a chance to check, :: Tahlin paused.:: I don't recall there being a problem with the third nacelle when I left?

Orrey/Rouiancet: Responses

Ukinix: I think it's related to the slight imbalance in the matter/anti-matter rations, Lieutenant Thoran discovered it.  We think it's a combination of something in the Warp XV engine, and something specific about the 'Tas.  At maximum warp the ship might shake a bit, but it won't have any critical effects.  With enough time we'll track it down.

Alse: Hmmm, it's true that we didn't go to maximum warp on the way here to Cait but otherwise the Warp XV engine performed exemplary though it being what it is we won't get that benefit from it in the Shoals.

Orrey/Rouiancet: Responses

Ukinix: Response

Alse: If we're holding position I'm sure we can come up with a work-around. It also might be a good idea to have the different sub-department heads submit special projects that we could get to while we're in Spacedock and on a regular shipping lane that we can take advantage of.

Ukinix: Response

Orrey/Rouiancet: Responses

TAG/TBC

Ensign Tahlin Alse