JP Ens MacKenzie, Lt JG Ukinix - Roots [Part 2]

Danny Lee

May 26, 2019, 6:11:38 AM5/26/19
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Ninth House Estate, Araraniax Village outskirts, Arandel, Betazed))

MacKenzie: Certainly the goal of any student should be to raise questions, but perhaps this is taking things a bit far?

Ukinix: Wait… members are called “Guardians”?

Keehani.  Yes.  ::Smiling:: I’m a Guardian.

::Wil deliberately made quiet laughing sound to tease Keehani.::

MacKenzie: ::snickering:: Don’t let him get to you.

Keehani:  ::Confidently:: Oh, I won’t.  He’s not the only one that’s laughed at us.  ::Shrugging::  The general consensus is that the Federation is too Earth and Vulcan centric.  That’s not to say the Federation hasn’t helped Betazed, it has, but we feel that maybe the Federation is holding us back.  So ::shrugging:: It’s time to discuss it, and look at different options.

Ukinix: “Earth centric.”  I won’t take that personally.  How about you, Addison?

MacKenzie: Oh, I never take anything too personally. ::she stuck her tongue out at Wil::

::Keehani gave Wil a look that was almost an eye roll.::

Keehani: ::Shaking her head, smiling:: That doesn’t mean we’re anti-Earth, Wil.  We just want more say on our -

::As they rounded a hairpin on the path, they came to a large, circular clearing in the middle of the forest.  Ahead of them were the aged and very badly damaged shells of three large mushroom shaped buildings.  Inside the shells, any rooms that were still in tact had long been stripped of whatever was inside of them.

On the ground was a vast pile of rubble, that was very dense and high in some places.  Plant life had grown around and amongst the rubble.  There were scorching and phaser marks on what remained of the shell structures, and most of the rubble was also scorched.

On the far side of where they were standing was the mostly black and twisted remains of part of a Starfleet shuttlecraft - although it could hardly be called that anymore.::

MacKenzie: ::furrowing her brow:: I don’t understand - what am I looking at?

Ukinix: ::covering his mouth:: Oh… geez.

::Keehani simply stared ahead, saying nothing.::

((Flashback - Liberation Day festivities, Vataix Estate, Ohmallera, Betazed - Previous Night))

Vataix: You really should stop by the Ninth House when you get a chance. As a Starfleet officer, I know how committed to the truth you must be. I believe you will find it... an enlightening experience.

((End Flashback))

Ukinix: ::Mockingly impersonating Rivi, scrunched up nose, speaking quickly:: "You should stop by the Ninth House. You’re a Starfleet officer committed to the truth blah-blah-blah-blah-blah".

::Wil put his hands on hips, and let out a sigh.::

Ukinix: Enlightening, my arse.

::He sat on one of a nearby row of cube shaped stones and stared ahead.::

::Keehani walked forward 10 metres, her arms crossed with her back to Addison and Wil.  She stood completely still.  The only part of her that was moving was her long dark hair in the breeze.::

MacKenzie: What is this place?

Ukinix: The Ninth House estate.  Where my grandfather ::pointing:: and Keehani’s grandmother grew up.  ::Sarcastically:: A bit different to the estates of the the Fourth and Eleventh houses that we’ve seen.

MacKenzie: It’s…. rubble.

::Keehani turned to look at Addison, and sighed.::

Keehani:  Destroyed during the Dominion invasion.  The Ukinix family died here.  And 32 of their employees.

::Wil looked at the mangled shuttlepod in the distance.::

Ukinix: How did it happen?

::Keehani turned back towards the rubble.::

Keehani: No-one really knows.  I didn’t know about that ship being there though.

::Wil felt himself get mildly irritated.  Sensing this, Keehani turned around,::

Ukinix: Why didn’t Rivi just come out and say this is what I’d find?  ::To Keehani::  Or you!

MacKenzie: I believe this visit has had its intended effect...

Keehani:  I can’t speak for Rivi Vataix… but I wanted you to see what really happened to Betazed.  To your family.  This is where my grandmother and your grandfather grew up.

::Keehani turned around and looked at the rubble again.::

Keehani: I didn’t know it was this bad.

::Wil went to say something, but didn’t know what.  He simply let out a frustrated sigh.::

MacKenzie: ::to Keehani:: A learning experience for you both, I imagine.::

Ukinix: I don’t know what to think.  Or feel.  I’m just - this is hollowing.  I don’t know why.

MacKenzie: It’s tough experiencing something like this from a distance versus experiencing it first-hand. When you see something like this, the reality is a lot different than the one you imagined. It’ll take some time to process.

Ukinix: ::Smiling, nodding:: Thanks, Doc.

::Keehni walked back over to Addison and Wil.::

Keehani: ::Small smile:: I’m glad I came.  There’s a transporter station in the nearby village, let’s walk back.

::Wil put his hands on his hips, looked at the mess one last time, and then slowly turned around.::

Ukinix: Yeah, alright.

MacKenzie: ::nodding:: After you both.

::As they walked along the path, there was silence again.  His last few months, and especially the last few days, swirled around in his mind.  He thought about the initial message that he’d received from Keehani.  Some of the words in it jumped out at him…::

Ukinix: ::To Keehani:: Hang on.  You and your Guardian mates are so keen on independence of some sort.  Yet you messaged me and asked me for help because my grandmother is a Federation citizen.  ::Slightly annoyed:: So which is that you want?  You can’t have both.

::Wil could feel Keehani’s sense of confusion.::

Keehani: Up until a few months ago, I thought my life was all planned out. ::Shrugging:: These days, I’m not so sure any more.

Lieutenant JG Wil Ukinix

Engineering Officer

USS Veritas

V239511WU0