Lt Cmdr Wil Ukinix - Steam

Wil Ukinix

May 6, 2021, 11:06:38 AM5/6/21
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Main Engineering – Deck 8, USS Veritas))

As Chalmers began running around handing each engineer a phaser, more and more red started appearing on the holographic display of the ship.  At least the nacelles were all green.

Rahman: =/\= Engineering, I need every ounce of power you can muster. =/\=

The ship shook once more, feeling like a large Earth tremor and causing the floor to make it feel like it was swaying. There was a momentary glitch on console screens as the main computer core failed, and the secondary computer took over.  Wil grabbed on to the MSD to steady himself.

Ukinix: =/\= We’ve got repair teams all over the ship.  Our biggest problem is energy, we’re channelling as much as we can into what’s left of our shields and increasing our scanner range.  It’s coming down to a choice between shields or tactical systems. =/\=

Rahman: =/\= Your priority is the shields then for now, Mr. Ukinix. They're intent on trying to board the ship and capture Kallo. =/\=

Ukinix: =/\= Aye ma’am. =/\=

Vanlith: Response

Reade: With the probe launched it should allow a more tactical view of the battle, which should give us a boost.

Ukinix: Great work, grab a console, and pick a system to monitor and adjust power for, we need all the help we can get.

Vanlith/
Lafizatar: Responses

Reade: Commander, I remember my dad stating that we could overload the EPS to temporarily boost the shields. We could try that onboard. It could allow us to continue to have shields and tactical systems?

Ukinix: You’re Dad sounds like a smart man, but keep a close eye on the output.  If we start blowing conduits, we’ll be downgraded from sitting ducks to crawling emus.

Vanlith: Response

Reade: I will give that a try.

As Reade finished speaking, it was punctuated with a very loud “boom” that echoed through the entire deck.  It sounded as if the whole of the ship’s hull was straining.  Alert tones began sounding wildly all throughout main engineering.  The shell of the holographic skeletal Veritas above the MSD turned red.

Computer: Intruder alert.  Warning.  Intruder alert.

Wil pressed a few buttons on the MSD.  The main door to engineering began to drop down to seal them in, and keep any baddies out.

The holographic display of the Veritas told him further bad news.  With a sense of dread, Wil sighed before speaking.

Ukinix: =/\= Ukinix to Rahman.  Shield emitters are offline. =/\=

Rahman: =/\= If the shields are gone, give us more engine power. We need to outrun their transporter range. =/\=

Ukinix: =/\= Aye ma’am! =/\=

Wil turned to look at Zhanyt, Char and Scotty.

Ukinix: ::Raised voice to team:: Divert everything you can to impulse and warp engines!  I don’t care what it is!

He stuck is tongue into the side of his cheek as he looked up at the displays above the engineering lab’s windows.  Tactical showed that one of the Klingon vessels was gone.  The other Klingon vessel now showed as an enemy for some reason.  Many other dots were swarming around the Veritas like multiple wasps swooping on the otherwise happily splashing occupants of an outdoor pool.  The other screen showed the front display.  On it were asteroids, and a narrow miss with an enemy vessel.

Wil ran over to a console near the warp core, and tapped away frantically at its screen.

Ukinix: When we hit warp we’re going to push this baby to Warp 4.3 for as long as we can.

Reade/Lazitifar/Vanlith: Responses

The ship rocked again from fire, and the whole floor shook.  More consoles sparked and exploded, causing most people in engineering to cover they eyes and step back to shield their faces.  After a few seconds, light smoke began to fill the bay.

Ukinix: ::While tapping at screen:: Report!

Reade/Lazitifar/Vanlith: Responses

Wil looked up at the screen again.  They were clear of the asteroid field, and once again at warp.  The console in front of him flashed red as it showed they were at warp 4.1.  The floor began to shudder and shake.

Reade/Lazitifar/Vanlith: Responses

Wil stood back and placed his hands on his hips, before realising that was a mistake and frantically reaching forward for the railing in front of him for support.

Ukinix: We’ve done everything we can.  ::Shrug:: I guess we just wait.

The console flashed faster as it showed they were at Warp 4.2  Wil felt his teeth chattering as he grabbed on to the nearby rail for support.

He looked up at the view screen.  It was showing the back of the Veritas, with thick plumes of vapour coming out of the nacelles.  The tactical display showed that they were still being pursued by their enemies, some of them falling back.

Another warning tone sounded.  This time, the holographic ship display showed that the Structural Integrity Field generators were starting to struggle.  His whole body began to rattle, and it felt like his brain was trying to escape from his ears.

Ukinix: $#^@!  Secondary SIFs have failed!

Which was just before two Klingon males and a Klingon female emerged from a Jeffries tube and started firing their disruptors.  Wil drew his phaser and fired back, causing the three Klingons to take cover.

He himself took cover at behind the console next to the one he was working.  A quick glance at it now showed they were at warp 4.3.  There were several large bangs as the whole ship rocked up and down, while thicker smoke began to fill the bay.  The only sound that could be heard above the straining hull was the high-pitched groan of a warp engine being pushed.

Reade/Lazitifar/Vanlith: Responses

Lieutenant Commander Wil Ukinix

Chief Engineer, Second Officer

USS Veritas