Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek: The Things I Do To Support My Friends...Part I

Lael Rosek

Sep 3, 2018, 2:34:16 AM9/3/18
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

OOC: This is going to be a three part post as it got kind of long.

//Acting Chief Engineer’s Personal Log, Stardate 239509.01

Though I wasn’t here for much of what transpired during the crew’s last mission, and as tempting as it is to skip the awards ceremony tonight, I feel a certain obligation to attend regardless, if not to support my friends and colleagues...to acknowledge their efforts. What’s making me the most reluctant to attend is Alex. There’s a good chance that the Captain will be formally announcing his transfer tonight.

Though I support him and anything that will make him happy, it also saddens me to see him go. He’s been an amazing friend to me these past months and has been an ear when I’ve needed it. With Chythar taking a neutral stance on my relationship with Jon, Alex’s honesty and perspective has been helpful. I’m going to miss him, but I have faith that we’ll serve together again someday.

//

((Rosek’s Quarters, USS Veritas))

::As Lael got ready in her quarters, she found herself missing Maddy’s teasing whenever she’d dress in something nice. A sad smile touched her lips as she put the dangling pearl earrings into her ears. They matched the off-white pearl necklace she’d chosen for the evening. Attempting to brush the wrinkles from her dress, she stepped back to get a good look at herself in the mirror. Thankfully, the communication regarding tonight hadn’t specified dress whites so she was able to dress in her civilian clothing.::

::The loneliness of Jon and Maddy not being there had her wanting to dress up a bit in an effort to cheer herself up. She’d selected an off-shoulder red lace cocktail dress from her closet along with a pair of red heeled strappy sandals. Her strawberry blond waves, grown out for the evening thanks to a special algorithm programmed into her nanites, were pulled back into a pull-through ponytail, just enough to expose the slightly-pointed tips of her ears. She’d chosen a smokey eye look, finishing off with a cherry red lip gloss that almost seemed to shimmer in the light from her bathroom vanity.::

::Satisfied with her look, she moved toward the living area to grab the red almost-see-through bolero jacket for her shoulders, slipping it on just as her door chime rang. She arched an eyebrow, calling out.::

Rosek: Enter!

::Her eyebrows arched even higher when she noted Anjar standing in front of her in an azure blue button up, which was paired with brown trousers and dark brown lace-up oxford shoes. His hair was longer than she’d seen it in awhile, slicked back with what she assumed to be regulation gel. He was clean-shaven...also a recent change to his appearance. It made him look younger and even more charming than usual.::

Rosek: Why, Lieutenant Thoran! To what do I owe the pleasure of this visit? And dressed so nicely I might add.

Thoran: ::smirks and bows slightly:: I’ve come to escort you, of course, milady.

Rosek: ::chokes out a laugh:: Stand up, Anjar, before you sprain something.

Thoran: ::chuckles and smirks, standing up:: Brat.

Rosek: ::smiles wanly:: Ass. I didn’t know you were going to the ceremony.

Thoran: ::shrugs:: I got an invite, too. ::smirks:: Might have something to do with the fact that I was acting chief while you were away. ::offers her his arm and murmurs:: You look amazing, by the way. ::smirks:: Looking to impress someone?

::She cleared her throat, fighting to keep the flush from her cheeks. The thought hadn’t occurred to her until just now, but there was a very good chance that German would be there...and that he’d see her in this dress...like this. She grimaced. She was an engaged woman. She shouldn’t be thinking things like that. Yes, he intrigued her...probably more than she was willing to admit. But that’s all there was to it.::

Thoran: ::arches an eyebrow:: Okay, Rosek. I know your tells. You’re hiding something.

Rosek: ::shakes her head:: Later. We’re going to be late.

Thoran: ::smirks:: You’re so lucky that I like to be on time for things.

Rosek: ::arches an eyebrow:: You may be on time when it comes to your duties, but I’m afraid that doesn’t apply to your personal life.

((Officer's Mess, USS Veritas))

::The room was a din of activity when she and Anjar stepped through the doors. People were gathered in small groups, most with drinks in hand. She saw familiar faces, but had no desire to venture beyond the safety of Anjar’s calming presence. He seemed to sense her anxiety taking hold and laid a hand on top of the one clutching his arm tightly.::

Thoran: ::murmurs:: If it gets to be too much, just find your way over to me and lay your hand on my arm...then we can get out of here.

::She exhaled a sigh and shook her head. She was determined to get through the evening without letting anyone else know just how nervous she was about interacting with people at the moment. Her only saving grace was that she could charm just about anyone into believing that she was naturally outgoing and didn’t have a care in the world.::

Rosek: ::murmurs:: I’ll get through it...but I might need a bit of brandy before the night is over.

Thoran: ::smiles wanly:: I thought you were on restriction.

Rosek: ::shrugs:: Don’t really care.

Thoran: ::shakes his head:: I’m keeping an eye on you...both because I’ve seen you drunk and because I don’t particularly want to deal with Skyfire if you do something stupid.

::Lael opened her mouth to reply, but was cut off by the noise in the room suddenly starting to fade and she looked up to find Rahman standing in front of the crowd expectantly.::

Thoran: ::murmurs:: She certainly commands a room.

::She smacked his arm with her free hand and brought a finger to her lips to shush him before returning her attention to where Rahman stood.::

Rahman: Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for coming. Today we celebrate your achievements as well as congratulate and wish well Commander Blair as he begins his tenure as first officer of the USS Constitution.

::It was like a punch to the stomach and it winded her for a long moment after. Tears stung the corners of her eyes and her grip on Anjar’s arm tightened as she closed her eyes, willing them away. She felt the familiar warmth as Anjar attempted to project calm. He wasn’t as gifted at it as she was, but it was enough to draw her back from the edge. Exhaling a shaky sigh, she dropped her mental walls back into place, praying that Alex hadn’t felt anything or seen anything from her during her momentary lapse.::

Rosek: ::murmurs:: Thank you.

::Anjar said nothing, simply patting her hand and nodding, then turning his attention to Rahman.::

Mei’konda: Very well deserved, Commander Blair.

Rahman: Any parting thoughts, commander?

::She wasn’t focused as Alex spoke, the words seeming to echo as though from very far away, the actual meaning lost on her and she shut it all out. It was the only way she had any hope of coping with the dramatic change that was about to happen in her life. She focused on her breathing, letting the in and out of the air filling then leaving her body calmed her.::

Blair: I just want to thank each and every one of you. During my tenure here, I have come to think of the Veritas as home, and you as my family, so it’s hard to leave you all. I wish you all the best!

Delano: Congratulations, Alex. I know you’ll do great on the Constitution.

Galven: Huzzah, Commander Blair! ::raises his glass::

Lorian: Congratulations, sir. ::He raised his glass with German.::

Rosek: ::smiles wanly:: o0 Congratulations, Alex. 0o

Rahman: If they give you a hard time over there, commander, you just let us know. I'm sure we can set them straight.

Blair: Will do, and you guys try not to get into too much trouble out here without me.

::Her smile widened at the light-hearted teasing. It was so Alex that she couldn’t help it. Even when he was worried, he managed to make her truly believe that everything would be alright.::

Mei’konda: And I haave something here for you to rememberr us by, Commander.  It’s a paiinting. Sort of, anyway.

::She watched the silk fall away as Mei’konda pulled it, the frame held out to Alex. The moment her eyes fell on it, she sucked in a surprised breath. It was the Veritas and it was so lovely in all of its artistic glory. It almost looked like something she’d like to paint...if she was anything beyond passable at landscapes and the like. As it was, she’d barely touched the gorgeous paint set Jansen had thoughtfully bought her for Christmas almost two years ago now.::

::She noted the upward tilt of Mei’konda’s lips as he presented it, unable to stop her own smile from brightening, too.::

Mei’konda: I expect we’ll see a picture of it haanging in your new quarters in the next few weeks, Commander.

Blair: ::smiling:: It will be one of my first tasks when I arrive. ::pause:: Thank you. This truly means a lot.

Any: Responses

Rahman: Everyone, I'm also delighted to announce we have more congratulations in order.

::The captain’s gaze flickered to Evan and Lael brought a hand up to cover the laugh threatening to escape at the mildly surprised expression on the half-Vulcan’s face.::

Rahman: Lt. Commander Delano, will you come up here? And please bring your husband, too.

::It made her heart melt to watch Mei’konda’s intent expression as Evan straightened, seeming to sense what was coming. It wasn’t a complete surprise to her. From what she’d read in the reports and heard from Anjar, Evan had performed admirably under the circumstances.::

Rahman: Lt. Commander Evan Delano, your recent actions against the Borg have not gone unnoticed by Starfleet Command. It is but the latest accomplishment in a long list over the course of your career. As such, Starfleet Command has granted me the authority to promote you to the rank of full commander, effective immediately. Congratulations, Commander.

Delano: Thank you.

Mei'konda: Congratulaations, Commander Delano.

---

Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek
Acting Chief Engineering Officer
USS Veritas NCC-95035