JP Lieutenant Commanders Lael Rosek & Chythar Skyfire: Long Distance Date Night, Part II

Timothy Alentonis

Jul 13, 2020, 11:44:04 PM7/13/20
to Veritas IC
((Subspace Call))
(( Skyfire’s Quarters, USS Veritas & Temporary Quarters, Transport Raven ))
{{Time Index: Stardate 239707.12}}

He took a bite of pork and considered the answer, then shook his head. Talking to Chris was usually easy, but ever since he found out about his half-sister, they’d spoken maybe twice. Hearing from Cailyn was still a bit to process, and he’d talked to her only the once.

Skyfire: Um...Not recently. No. Couple weeks ago for both, via letters. Shoals gets horrible reception.

Rosek: ::grimaces:: I remember. I’m glad I got out of there eventually. ::shakes her head:: Not that I talk to anyone besides you all that often.

She ran her hands through her hair and sighed. She’d been tempted more than once over the last several months to get in touch with her father and brother but hadn’t wanted to risk exposing them. The Council had placed a spy on Montreal and she didn’t trust that they wouldn’t attempt it again in spite of the headache it had likely caused with the Federation Council.

Rosek: ::murmurs:: I haven’t heard from Dad and Kellan in ages. I hope they’re all right. ::grimaces:: From what I understand, the Al-Leyan Council doesn’t give up that easily on fugitives.

Skyfire: Really? My knowledge of your dad’s planetary customs is still somewhat lacking, so forgive me if I seem slightly oblivious.

Rosek: ::shrugs:: Technically, I’m in the same boat. But my status as a Starfleet officer and a Federation citizen gives me a bit more protection than dad. ::pauses:: Kell might be able to assert his rights as a Federation citizen, but it would take more effort for the Federation to get him back if he was caught.

The barista sat back in his chair and had a swig of his coffee, nodding slightly. He didn’t know what to ask, but he decided to stick with the simplest question he could.

Skyfire: What crimes are we talking about here?

Rosek: ::shakes her head:: I thought I’d told you. Dad lied to the Council about me. Said I was full-blooded Al-Leyan. Even went so far as to buy me property on Leya-I under the name Lael Desai. ::sighs:: Sadly, it got taken away when the Council learned the truth. If they are successful in bringing him home, he’ll face charges for treason.

Skyfire: I see. :: He paused again. :: Interesting.

She leaned back in her chair, taking a sip of her tea as she recalled the conversation with her dad. He’d managed to shock her into silence.

Rosek: Yeah. It came up when I was setting my affairs in order just in case--

Her gaze dropped to the desk and she lowered the mug. It had been a close call. Her first season and it had been one of the most terrifying experiences of her young life. Though she was nervous to undergo another one, at least she had the reassurance of the cocktail Chythar had come up with. It bothered her to think of him suffering the same symptoms Jon had, but he’d been through worse. They’d been through worse.

He nodded slightly, and likewise dropped his gaze to his desk. He knew they’d been through worse together. He knew damn well that the serum he came up with to delay the season’s effects was equally as lethal as a Vulcan’s equivalent, but it was only a stop-gap measure. The last human who volunteered to help Lael through her season got super-sick off of the pheromone cocktail, but the two medications combined, as far as the doc knew, had saved her life. He had confidence in his ability to come up with something else if he needed to.

Skyfire: Yep. I remember.

Rosek: ::lifts her gaze to his:: You might need to have that ready. ::sighs:: If my luck holds, there will be other Al-Leyans on Atlantis, one of whom goes into their season and it will trigger mine.

He nodded again and had another sip of his coffee. He would take the risk to get sicker than a dog in order to save her life. Again.

She smiled and took another bite of her pork, changing the subject.

Rosek: When I get to Atlantis, I’ll take a peek at their itinerary. If we’re going to meet up over shoreleave, it might end up needing to be at a station or something outside the Par’tha Expanse.

Frequent visits would be difficult, but a few hours together here and there over shoreleave wouldn’t be impossible. Their unique psionic bond would likely make the time apart easier. They had yet to test the full range of it and she was more than a little curious if it could reach across distances like hers and Toryn’s once had.

Skyfire: Yea, I understand. I’m not sure what my timeline will look like either.

Rosek: ::nods:: It won’t be easy. ::smiles:: But it’s worth trying, right?

Skyfire: Right.

Out of the corner of her eye, an alert flashed on the monitor and she smiled sadly.

Rosek: It looks like we have an unscheduled stop. Maddy has been cooped up for long enough and I think a bit of a walk might do her and I both some good. ::pauses:: Reach out the next time you have a bit of free time. These video calls might be all we get for awhile.

He nodded slightly in understanding. He knew all too well the feeling of being cooped up. He and Devlin were likely going to experience the same thing, and he had to go get dinner for his faithful canine.

Skyfire: Will do. Give her my love, Lael.

She glanced back at Maddy, motioning the girl over.

Rosek: Maddy, come talk to your father for a minute before he has to go.

At the mention of Chythar, Maddy looked up from her book and set aside the PADD, rushing to the monitor.

M. Rosek: ::pouts:: You have to hang up already?

Rosek: ::looks at Maddy:: We’re stopping for a bit. He’s promised to message the next time he’s free.

Skyfire smiled at the little girl he had been proud to call his daughter. He reached toward the screen and ran a hand along her cheek.

Skyfire: I do, princess. Devlin’s dinner is late, and he gets rather loud when that happens.

As if on cue, the barking of the beagle was heard behind the barista’s display.

Devlin: Raff raff! Raff raff!

She could tell the little girl was disappointed. They’d only just officially become a family when Lael’s new orders had come through. She and Chythar had known there was a chance of it even when they’d made the decision to adopt Maddy together. Despite the physical separation, it seemed to give Maddy reassurance that Chythar did love her and was serious enough to adopt her as his own.

Rosek: ::smiles and shakes her head:: Like clockwork, that dog.

For a long moment, Lael studied his face, as though committing it to memory. She’d nearly lost him once or twice and that was enough to give her a taste of what that would feel like if it ever became permanent. She prayed that she would never have to experience it again. Eventually, one or both of them would retire and they’d have plenty of time to enjoy whatever time they had left.

Skyfire: Indeed. Very much so. :: to Lael. :: I love you, darling. :: to Maddy :: Daddy loves you too, princess.

M. Rosek: ::softly:: I love you, too.

Something about the way he said those three words had her struggling against a tightness in her chest. They meant even more at this distance. It was a promise. If he were anyone else, she’d have thought they were rushing things a bit. It had only been a couple of months. But she’d loved him for five years and as much as she’d tried to ignore those feelings, in the end, they’d finally given in to what had been between them all these years.

Rosek: ::smiles:: And I love you, honey.

He’d said the words aloud, and knew full well what that meant. If this was in God’s great design for him, to have a family separated by the vast reaches of time and space but held together through the strength of their faith in God and each other, they would survive. He committed both of their faces to memory before blowing a kiss toward the monitor. Then the screen faded to black. An impatient beagle was barking up a storm because his dinner was late.

Skyfire: Alright, Devlin. Alright. I’m coming.

END
---
Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek, Eng.D.
Chief Engineering Officer