Lt. JG Zhanyt Lafizatar - A new home upon the seas

Koihime Nakamura

Jul 23, 2020, 8:02:43 AM7/23/20
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com
((Shuttlecraft Avalonis, en route to the USS Veritas))

Zhanyt sat in the shuttle seat, the tall dusky woman looking at her panels idly with a neutral look on her face. She had finally received her orders after a stint in the Starfleet Annex. It had been.. peculiar to find herself attached to another colonial region. One not paid for by the blood and might of a Colonial Navy, and one not domineered by overwhelming and brutal force at the slightest disruption. Indeed, from what she observed, this region seemed to be a hotbed of disruption.

.oO I think my parents had more misgivings than I did upon hearing of these orders. Oo. It was surreal to her - it'd be surreal to any Mathenite. She looked out at the stars, reflecting her gold eyes back at her, her bunny like ears also visible. Still, she had her duty ahead, and her orders flashed into her mind once again:

"LIEUTENANT JUNIOR GRADE ZHANYT LAFIZATAR, STARFLEET.

UPON COMPLETION OF DUTIES ASSIGNED AND WHEN DIRECTED DETACH DUTY;
PROCEED PORT IN WHICH USS VERITAS (NCC 95035) MAY BE, UPON ARRIVAL REPORT COMMANDING OFFICER FOR DUTY."

She knew many didn't often prefer to read the formalized orders, but she was used to them. Students like her often were assigned as cadets on various colonial ships in the Confederacy, and she valued the tradition that even an organization as firmly fit in the future as Starfleet preserved. After all, she walked in the paths trod to her by the unceasing actions of her ancestors, and others would follow in hers.

An proximity alarm went off in the cockpit, and a smile began to light up her face as the Veritas swam into view. This, this among other reasons is why she liked Starfleet ships. Confederacy ships were often very bulky, blunt things. Starfleet ships.. had a sign of grace to them.  As if to proudly proclaim that they were many from one, and in an era where her species was seeking and grasping that to become what they would need to be - it was the beacon of hope it had been for her many years ago. As she looked down, a ring with the crest of Starfleet Academy shown on it - a reminder of the gift many of her fellow cadets in her cohort had gotten her.

.oO And I hope that this ship goes much better than my last three. Oo

Zhanyt wasn't the best at piloting - she had been in engineering and science - but she could land a shuttle enough and sat it down in the shuttle bay. Waiting a moment to exchange the various manifests, she got up from her seat and retrieved her satchel. Not much was in it - her quarters aboard the USS Fidelity had been directly hit by a photon torpedo - but she did have some belongings in it.

((Captain's Ready Room, USS Veritas))

She had had to duck her head a few times, but she was actually impressed with this Veritas-class - her last posting had been the most newest ship she was assigned to, and it was a Saber-class starship. Personally, from reviewing news articles about the recent activities of the Veritas, she was glad she hadn't been immediately thrown back into the fire to deal with pirates after what had happened to the Fidelity. Pressing the button to gain admittance to the captain's ready room.

Rahman: ?

Zhanyt entered, and was again struck by how short many species in Starfleet seemed to be compared to her group. Almost the size of an average Karn. Still, she brought herself to a rigid salute stance in front of the Fleet Captain.

Lafizatar: Reporting for duty, as ordered ma'am. ::Zhanyt's voice was surprisingly high for her size, and contained a bit of an almost ethreal sound to it  - part of the translators attempting to retain the intonations of her language, and part of how she spoke Federation Standard. She backslid sometimes, but after so long it was mostly just her now.::

Rahman: ?

Lafizatar: Aye, ma'am. ::Zhanyt dropped to a parade rest. Often, she didn't understand why captains would drop so much of their authority - the authority was the proof of their worthiness to be in that rank and was deserving of deep respect. Just as any master of an art was worthy of it - for they may only be a master of one thing, but in that one thing, they excelled. :: I have to say, seeing the Veritas on approach was a beautiful sight. I've never tired of seeing the beauty in Starfleet design.

Rahman: ?

TAG/TBC

Lt. JG Zhanyt Lafizatar
Science Officer