[V-CQ] Captain Roshanara Rahman: Light in the Darkness

richyulin

Oct 15, 2017, 12:04:11 AM10/15/17
to UFOP: StarBase 118 – USS Veritas
((Captain's Quarters, USS Veritas))

::Having grown up in the crowded streets of Lahore, Roshanara was used to cramped -- or rather "cozy" dwellings. That hadn't changed much once she'd joined Starfleet. Even while serving as chief engineer aboard the luxurious Galaxy class Garuda, she had elected instead for the much smaller junior officer's quarters that were closer to Main Engineering. The Invicta had been her first taste of grander accommodations, but it'd quickly been followed by the tiny confines of the Saber class Syracuse.::

::Veritas, as in many other respects, offered a middle ground between the two extremes. Her quarters were just large enough to offer an additional living room area she hadn't had on most of her previous assignments but still small enough for the socks to pile up.::

::Tonight, though, not one stray sock was seen--at least, she hoped so, having finished her hunt a few hours earlier. Instead, she'd invited her senior staff to her quarters to acknowledge everything they'd been through in the last couple of weeks. The pain Antor was reeling from was still fresh, and with everything the crew had seen, it didn't seem right to hold a usual crew assembly in the enlisted mess as they'd done before.::

::Once the final arrival entered, Roshanara nodded towards Mei'konda and stepped forward.::

Rahman: Please, everyone, have a seat.

::As they did so, the captain folded her hands behind her back.::

Rahman: We came to Antor on the heels of celebrations. Birth announcements, marriage proposals... family.

::She looked across each of their faces, offering a small smile.::

Rahman: Both our family aboard and here with us now.

::She took a slow breath before continuing.::

Rahman: What happened next is still unfathomable in its viciousness. Thousands of lives lost. A world gripped by fear. But in these darkest of hours, we also see the brightest examples of what kind of people we can be. The compassion and courage that is within each of us to face such evil.

::She glanced at Rosek and Walker for a moment.::

Rahman: Together, we will prevail in our efforts. And so that is why I've asked you all here tonight. Because as we look ahead to the next challenge that awaits us, what you all have accomplished here deserves recognition.

Any: RESPONSE

Rahman: So, without further ado... Commanders Blair, Walker, Ryan, and Lieutenant Sepek, would you come forward?

Blair: RESPONSE

Walker: RESPONSE

Ryan: RESPONSE

Sepek: RESPONSE

Rahman: For your injuries sustained in the line of duty, you are hereby recognized with the Purple Heart. It is not an award for congratulations but of acknowledgment by both Starfleet Command and your captain of the inherent dangers you face in the course of your duties. Nothing would please me more than for this to be your last citation of this award.

Blair: RESPONSE

Walker: RESPONSE

Ryan: RESPONSE

Sepek: RESPONSE

Rahman: Next, Dr. Skyfire, would you please come forward and join Dr. Ryan?

Skyfire: RESPONSE

Rahman: In the course of a few hours, you two had to turn sickbay into an orbiting hospital overflowing with patients. The lives you and your staff have saved deserve more than just a single citation of this next ribbon, but so be it. I am very proud to recognize you both with the Lifesaving Ribbon.

Ryan: RESPONSE

Skyfire: RESPONSE

Rahman: Dr. Ryan, leading a department during such a disaster is no small task. Through it all, you demonstrated excellent leadership with calm and precision. I am happy to award you both the Department Chief Ribbon in recognition of your service in the role as chief medical officer for the past six months as well as the Legion of Merit for your performance as the department chief during this crisis. Congratulations.

Ryan: RESPONSE

::She looked back at Skyfire.::

Rahman: Dr. Skyfire, I would also like to recognize your efforts during the mission with an additional citation of the Captain's Commendation.

Skyfire: RESPONSE

Rahman: Likewise, Lieutenant Delano, you are also recognized with the Legion of Merit for both your efforts responding to the subspace tear of the original weapon and for your deft hands at tactical during our final battle.

Delano: RESPONSE

Rahman: Ensign Harik, would you come forward please?

Harik: RESPONSE

Rahman: Speaking of our medical officers' response, I was very pleased to learn about your efforts to provide aid to Commander Blair after his injuries. As such, I am awarding you the Good Conduct Ribbon. Well done, ensign.

Harik: RESPONSE

Rahman: Next, Commanders Mei'konda, Kelrod, Blair, and Lieutenant Tuk, please come forward.

Mei'konda: RESPONSE

Kelrod: RESPONSE

Blair: RESPONSE

Tuk: RESPONSE

Rahman: For your actions again hostile forces on the ground, you all are awarded a citation of the Silver Star.

Mei'konda: RESPONSE

Kelrod: RESPONSE

Blair: RESPONSE

Tuk: RESPONSE

Rahman: Likewise, Lieutenant Rosek, for your actions assisting Commanders Mei'konda, Kelrod, and Lieutenant Tuk against the boarding action, you are also awarded the Silver Star.

Rosek: RESPONSE

Rahman: Commander Blake? You're next.

Blake: RESPONSE

Rahman: This is more for housekeeping. You weren't here when I last gave this particular ribbon out. As my first executive officer during this ship's launch under my command, you are hereby recognized with the Maiden Voyage Ribbon. Do stick around for the next ceremony, won't you?

::She exchanged a teasing grin with the Starfleet Ranger.::

Blake: RESPONSE

Rahman: Finally, you all are hereby recognized with the Joint Meritorious Unit Award for your efforts working with the Antor civilian agencies and government during the crisis. Furthermore, you all are recognized with the UFP Medal of Freedom for ensuring that Jilor's forces could do no further harm to this world. I know there are some colonists that have questioned our presence here, but know that there are even more that I have talked to who are grateful for all that you have done.

Any: RESPONSE

Rahman: All right, then. Feel free to leave if you'd like. Or if you're feeling a renewed sense of courage from all the accolades, then you are welcome to try some of your captain's attempts in the culinary arts...

::She gestured towards the various treats and refreshments she had laid out beforehand sitting on the glass dining table.::

Rahman: Please help yourselves.

Any: RESPONSE

::As some of the officers got up, Roshanara herself finally took a seat on the couch, a bit exhausted now.::

Any: RESPONSE

::She turned and raised her eyebrow.::

Rahman: I feel like I have to let you all know when I'm done talking or else you'll just stand there, and then who knows how long that will be?

TAG!

Captain Roshanara Rahman
CO, USS Veritas
I238705TZ0