Lt Cmdr Wil Ukinix - Parlez-Vous Francais?

Wil Ukinix

Jul 19, 2020, 7:30:03 AM7/19/20
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Chief Engineers Office, Deck 8, USS Veritas))

Ukinix: We?

Vanlith: Well yeah… ::she trailed off, surely Wil wasn’t going to make her fend for herself here considering he had booked the hotel that caused the confusion in the first place::

Internally he groaned, sensing the angle that Char may have been coming from.

Ukinix: ::Scratching back of neck:: I, uh- you’ll just have to tell them, won’t you?

Vanlith: My parents are expecting a wedding. A wedding I am part of. A wedding that isn’t happening, because of you booking a hotel.

Ukinix:  Well they were at least partially accurate, there is a wedding - Raissa and Jansen.  ::Waving hand::  Ah, you’ll be ‘right. You’ll get to see your brother, he can finally meet Baxter.  You can introduce your parents to Lieutenant Cumar, they’ll love it.  I’ll even be happy to give them a tour of where their daughter works like they asked, how’s that.

As Char sighed, Wil felt bad for booking the “wrong” hotel for Jansen’s Bachelor party.  It turned out to be a hotel that was owned by her parents, and felt bad for accidently having started the ensuing mess.  But it was an innocent accident, and after all, accidents happen… right?

Vanlith: How long until they get here?

Wil swivelled the console back around to face him.

Ukinix: Judging by the stardate that the message was sent – dunno, any day now?  Your guess is as good as mine, Char.  You’d better get some guest quarters prepped, ‘ey?

Vanlith: ::taking a slow and measured breath:: Yes I had better. ::Smirking herself:: Just be ready for your tour of where I work. I’m sure they will have lots of questions for you knowing them .

Regarding Char’s smirk, Wil turned his head to the left slightly and squinted his eyes a little.

Ukinix: O-kaaaay…

Vanlith: I should probably warn Jon they are coming. ::she pulled at the curls on the left side of her face::

Wil made a mental note for later of something he noticed Charlena do…before he spoke.

Ukinix: ::Smiling:: I know what parents can be like.  My parents haven’t visited me yet, but if they did I know everyone here would welcome them – and even put up with Dad’s bad jokes.  ::eyes shifting left:: I hope. ::Looking back at Char:: I’ll extend them the same warm welcome.  But I know you’re nervous about it.  If you need anything, let me know.

Charlena stood and turned to leave before looking over her shoulder again.

Vanlith: Sir. ::pauses:: Remind me to see if there is a way to make them only send messages to me. I don’t need a repeat of this event.

He chuckled a little, and nodded.

Ukinix: Your parents seem lovely.  Once this misunderstanding is sorted out, if they still want to send me messages, I’m more than happy to receive them.

Once Charlena had left the office, Wil turned to his console, and brought up a series of notes that has been started by the ship’s previous Chief Engineer…

((Flashback – Stargazer Lounge, Deck 12 -  201909.15))

Ukinix: ::Quietly:: Hey, have you noticed something with Char?  And her hair?

Teller
: :Quietly::  Noticed?  I’ve started a research paper on it.  Here’s what I’ve got so far.

Teller produced a small PADD from his pocket containing his ‘field notes,’ collected over the past few months since Charlena had come aboard.  It was obvious to many people that she would occasionally hide behind her luxurious Risan locks, but Teller had begun to believe the dialect of the young woman’s hair was substantially more complex.  Like any good engineer, he began jotting down his observations, which he now shared with Wil.

Ukinix: ::Quietly:: It’s almost like another language.

Teller:  ::Quietly::  Maybe it’s a Risan thing.  Look, this is an easy one - hair out of face, pushed over ears - she’s relaxed and focused on her job and confident in what she’s doing.  But there’s a bunch I’ve got no ideas on.

((End Flashback))

Wil ran his finger over the screen, reading the list of gestures that had been already notated.  The notes hadn’t been updated in a while.

Ukinix: Computer, add entry to Charictionary research log.  Fiddling with hair, specifically curls on left hand side.  Possible awkwardness, more observation required.

[End scene for Wil]

Lieutenant Commander Wil Ukinix

Chief Engineer

USS Veritas