Lt Cmdr Wil Ukinix - Bein' Green

Wil Ukinix

Jul 20, 2020, 8:19:02 AM7/20/20
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Corridor, Deck 6, USS Veritas))

Ukinix
: As far as I know, all healthy.  ::Smirk, wink:: Nothing a cheeky cab sauv couldn’t fix.

The one-quarter Betazoid’s empathic senses were telling him something.  He looked at Dr Alken, and caught the end of a glance from her.  It was rare, but it wasn’t the first time a mischievous comment had been interpreted as flirty behaviour.  He briefly wondered if the same thing had just happened.

Romjin: Go ahead and get on the bio-bed.

Wil followed their instructions, and recalled the only thing he could think of.

((Flashback – About a week earlier, Engineering Upper Deck, Deck 7))

Vanlith: THEY STOLE MY DOG!

When Charlena collapsed to the floor and pulled at her hair, her emotions were stronger than ever.  He wasn’t sure if it was the smoke, or the overload of strong emotions from Char, but everything momentarily looked a little fuzzy, and turned a slight shade of blue.  He squinted his eyes and pinched them with his thumb and forefinger, before opening his eyes.  With his vision unblurred and everything the normal colour again, he lowered himself to his knees next to Char, and spoke quietly to her.

Ukinix: ::Quietly:: Hey, Lieutenant.

((End Flashback))

Ukinix: One incident during our encounter with the pirates where my vision went all blurry for a split second.  It’s happened before though, Doctor del Vedova told me it can happen in high stress moments.

Alken: Well, that could be normal in such a situation.  In situations of high stress, some people shake, others are paralyzed, until, that is, the stress is over.  I’m just out of school, so to speak. Dr. Romjin has been around active duty a lot longer than I have.

Romjin:
The paralysis would be in extreme cases. Any other symptoms at the time? Nausea? Dizziness?

Wil pondered for a moment, before looking back at Doctor Romjin.

Ukinix: ::Shaking head:: Nothing like that.

Alken: ::tries to look sternly professional::  I think between the two of us, we can fix you up.

Wil smirked a little, and nodded.

Romjin: You said it lasted a split second. Is that an actual split second or you just kinda brushing it off for nothing?

Ukinix: No, literally about half a second.  When it’s happened, I close my eyes, then open again, and it’s fine.

Alken: response

Romjin: Okay, ::smiling:: hold as still as possible while the machine does all the hard work.

Ukinix: No worries.

Alken: :: Takes a look at the various pieces of medical equipment, including the bank of diagnostic readers surrounding that particular bed ::  Everything seems green.

Wil smiled and nodded.  Everything felt like it should have been green.  He felt in good shape, and in good spirits.

There was a few moments of silence as Dr Romjin finished her scans.  While waiting, he had a little random thought to himself.

Ukinix: oO I wonder if it's spelt "Romjin" or "Romjen"? Oo

Romjin: What were you doing when it happened before?

Ukinix: Uuummm… ::recalling:: There was one time an AI probe lodged itself into the ship, it was trying to take over the computer core and the ship.  I was there with several other officers, including Commander Raissa Moonsong, to try and stop it gaining control.  It was pretty hectic, and I could sense the pressure that Raissa was under – she was using her telepathy to interface with the AI.  I got a migraine at the time, and there was a moment of blur then.

Alken: :: Again, Gema stepped a bit back and watched her more experienced colleague. Then, she had a thought.::  Ah, Commander Ukinix, I know it’s hard to experience emotions in such a short time, but do you recall any in particular, or just the feeling of physical disorientation?

Ukinix: Disorientation’s not the right word. I’m one-quarter Betazoid, so I sense the emotions of others around me, to varying degrees.  Sometimes when there’s a group of people around with strong emotions, it frustrates me.

Romjin/Alken: Response

After discovering over the course of turning sixteen/seventeen that he was empathic, it became a nightmare for him and his parents.  He, nor his family, were ready for it, and he didn’t want it.  Many counsellors later, his Starfleet officer mother enlisted the help of a Vulcan, T’Rav.  She had helped him using techniques and philosophies used by Vulcans to deal with their own emotions.  It helped immensely.  However, joining Starfleet saw a resurgence of his inability to deal with other’s acute emotions.  With it had come self-doubt.  He was lucky, and thankful, that he had a fellow three-quarter human/one-quarter Betazoid to guide him.  She had become his “older sister”.

Ukinix: I’m E4, it’s part of who I am naturally.  Raissa’s been helping me cope with it again since I joined Starfleet.  Sometimes I’m convinced that there’s something wrong with me, but ::shrugs:: I dunno, I just have to learn to remember that I’m naturally this way.

Romjin/Alken: Response

Ukinix: ::chuckling:: I’m surprised you can find any neural activity in there at all, Doctor.

Romjin/Alken: Response

Ukinix: I injured my ankle when I was seventeen, that’s given me grief on and off sometimes, but lately it’s been good.

Romjin/Alken: Response

Tags/TBC

Lieutenant Commander Wil Ukinix

Chief Engineer