Maj Wes Greaves - Spring Chicken

1 view

Jacob Rittenhouse

May 24, 2022, 2:26:38 PM5/24/22
to USS Thor – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((7 Forward Lounge, Deck 7, USS Oumuamua))
Their travel back from the Delta Quadrant was taking a lot longer than the trip out there. With the Thor being towed by the Oumuamua they couldn’t exactly make best speed. Plus, Starfleet Command had recalled both ships to Earth for dockyard work. The Thor’s requirements were obvious. The ship had been devastated by the attack and the crash. Wes wasn’t even sure if the hull could be fully saved. It’d require most systems to be rebuilt from the ground up. If the old girl was lucky, they’d make a prototype out of her. Create something new and powerful from the wreckage.

The Oumuamua on the other hand was due for refit and hull inspections. Wes had learned on the long journey back that the Luna class had been rushed out of her refit cycle to come check on the Thor. Hence the skeleton crew when she’d arrived at Okaea. Now that refit was to take place alongside the Thor in the Planitia dockyards. With both vessels out of commission for the foreseeable future, Wes had found himself at a loss for what to do. After visiting the Thor, he’d returned to the Oumuamua, worked out, and paced his temporary quarters in irritation and anxiety. He was a man without a job, which sat poorly with him after the intensity of his workload the previous six months. It should have come as a nice break, but the circumstances that led to the break precluded that.

The Marine wasn’t exactly sure how he made it there, but after a time pacing the halls of the Oumuamua he found himself inside the 7-Forward Lounge. It was late, but not so late that everyone was off ship or in bed. The lounge had a healthy number of patrons, among them was Lieutenant Commander Hartmann. From Wes’s position inside the wide doorway their eyes met, and the Oumuamua’s XO waved him over.

Hartmann: Greaves.

Greaves: Hartmann.

As the Marine approached the other first officer, Roger made a brief motion to the stool next to him and Wes plopped down into the seat.

Hartmann: Have a seat.  And a drink.

The bar wasn’t much like the lounge on the Thor. There everything was themed for Earth’s Viking era. The walls were lined with round shields and the tables were wooden, or at least made to look wooden. Here things were different, but not unpleasantly so. As he sat down the ship’s bartender, a violet skinned Pygorian, turned to him.

Koryan: What would you like?

Greaves: A beer so dark and malty I have to chew it, (beat) and a shot of tequila to go with it.

As Koryan fulfilled the request, Roger lifted his glass.  Just before it reached his lips he offered -

Hartmann: Congratulations.

Wes raised his beer in kind as the smell of malt hit him square in the nostrils. He was mid sip when Roger’s words sunk in, and his confusion was shown with a raised eyebrow.

Greaves: Congratulations?

His answer didn’t come right away.  Instead, Roger sipped slowly at the drink before speaking again.

Hartmann: On your new assignment as First Officer of Oumuamua.

If his eyebrow could raise higher in surprise or confusion it would have. Instead Wes set the beer back down on the bar and turned in his stool to look at Hartmann straight on.

Hartmann:  Oh it’s not official yet, but I have no doubt in my mind it will be.  As soon as we get to Earth, I’m handing in my resignation, and I’ve written up a recommendation for you to replace me.

Greaves: Roger, there’s plenty of ships in the fleet I can go to. Hell, this is a great chance for me to get back to a Marine unit even. Why would you go and do something like that?

Hartmann: Response

Greaves: You’re no spring chicken but you got a few miles left on that old frame.

Hartmann: Response

For a moment Wes didn’t respond. Instead, he spun on his stool to face the bar once again and took a long draw from the beer. The foam at the top stuck to his upper lip and Wes had to lick it clean, thankful he didn’t have a moustache.

Greaves: Doesn’t seem like you want to be talked out of it.

Hartmann: Response

Greaves: Why the recommendation then?

Hartmann: Response

Tags/TBC