Lt. Cmdr. Alex Brodie “The Other Side Of The Desk”

1 view

Alexander Brodie

May 28, 2022, 11:46:07 AM5/28/22
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

“The Other Side Of The Desk”

((Sickbay, Deck Seven, USS Oumuamua))

The USS Oumuamua was a fine ship…but she was also not entirely finished. Their run out to aid the Thor did not require a full ships compliment so when Brodie had opened the counselling suites up, he found there to be a distinct lack of…everything.

As a result, and until everything was settled, he was currently bunkered down in one of the spare offices one deck up in the main sickbay.

Brodie: Hmmm…

Samara: Hmmm?

Alex looked over at his assistant. She was working one handed with her right, and more dominant, arm suspended in a sling as her broken collar bone healed. A souvenir from the escape pod she was in crashing down to the ocean surface when the Thor fell. He’d know Samara Vai a lot of years though and that was not the first broken bone she’d suffered…it was the inconvenience that bothered her more than anything.

Brodie: ::Leaning back in his chair:: Just thinking about Kel.

Samara: You know can just call on him, or call him in for a talk?

Brodie: Come on Sam, I can’t just summon someone and compel then to tal…oh, no…wait…that’s exactly what I can do isn’t it?

Sam nodded with a smile…it did feel good to laugh.

Brodie: Could you pop out and try and find that EMH – I’d like him in on this too…or Doctor Toz if she’s back from leave.

Samara: Sure.

Brodie: Thanks.

He watched Sam leave and then picked up a PADD, staring at the black mirrored screen.

Brodie: V’Len Kel! V’Len Kel! V’Len Kel!

The Scot glanced around the room and at the door.

Brodie: No…nothing? I guess it’ll have to be the old-fashioned way then. ::Tapping his commbadge.:: =/\= Brodie to Kel. =/\=

V'Len: =/\= Here sir. =/\=

Brodie:  =/\= You don’t have to call me Sir, V’Len. You say ‘Sir’, I turn around and look for the Commodore…either of them. Anyway, would you be able to come by sickbay just now – if you’re free? =/\=

V'Len: =/\= On my way =/\=

Alex stood up as the door slid open and the EMH came in.

Brodie: Ah, good morning – how are we looking?

EMH/Toz: Response

Brodie: I can’t tell if you’re joking or if we need to work on your social conventions.

EMH/Toz: Response

Brodie: I’ve asked V’Len Kel to come down for a follow-up. I’d like you to sit in – primarily to observe and get a feeling for where he is, psychologically as well as physically, but also to allow you some time to take some additional readings if needed – given his unique physiology. He’s likely to have a long road to a fuller recovery so I’d like us to be as prepared as we can be.

EMH/Toz: Response

As if on cue, or slightly delayed by the summon, he could hear the voice of the doctor outside, heralding his imminent arrival.

V'Len:  Looks like I'm in for it. ::Smiling::

Brodie: V’Len, not at all – please, do come in, take a seat.

Toz/EMH: Response

V'Len:  I'm feeling pretty good, except when I sneeze or cough. ::Indicating his chest::

Brodie: I would imagine that’s the be expected, given what you’ve been through. That’s one of  the reasons I’ve ask some of the medical team to be here – get an idea of where things are.

EMH/Toz: Response

V'Len:  I think it's a normal amount of pain and it gets better every day. I'm in better shape than the Thor now at least.

Brodie: Smiling slightly sourly:: With the best will in the world V’Len – that is not difficult and, for a while, you were substantially worse. That’s why I’ve asked you down here

Toz/EMH: Response

Suddenly feeling as if something must be wrong, V'Len's hand went to his neck.  He tried to act as if he were just rubbing it, but his fingers worked to find the carotid artery where he confirmed the inducer was still working. A gentle pulse could be felt moving through the vessels.

V'Len:  I'm not sure what you mean Counselor.  I feel fine, the nurse just indicated the readouts from the neural stimulator looked good.

Brodie: That’s only part of it. Physical trauma, particularly trauma with long lasting effects, can have a deep effect on psychological well-being too. We, he gestured to the assembled group, are your primary care team so it’s important we are all on the same page and that you’re on it too.

V’Len/Toz/EMH: Response

Brodie: We do need to consider your physical make up of course. Cardiac surgery on either a Trill or and Andorian are not easy and with elements of both that adds an extra complication we need to account for. That’ll be upto Toz, and the rest of the medical team of course.

V’Len/Toz/EMH: Response

Brodie: I’m sure you have considered this but, as chief medical officer, you carry a significant amount of responsibility for the crew. I’ll be ensuring that your return to duty is phased and monitored so patient care isn’t compromised…::holding up his hand to prevent protest::…not that I think you would but we all have to be sure.

V’Len/Toz/EMH: Response

Tabs/TBC.

Lt. Cmdr. Alexander Brodie
Chief Counselor