[Mission's End] Commodore V'Airu: A New Ally, Perhaps

Tony Colella

May 20, 2022, 7:02:31 PM5/20/22
to USS Thor – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
(( Bridge, Deck 1, USS Oumuamua ))

Vorta: There are no Founders here. Only -- equals.

Of all the surprising things this Vorta had said -- and there were many -- this was perhaps the most surprising. Could a Vorta simply renounce the Founders? Forget about the theological or cultural implications, was that even biologically possible? Ossa goggled at the screen for a long moment, uncertain how to respond, but thankfully she didn't need to speak next.

Aparius: The Cenobians once left the Dark Times behind them by the uniting of the clans. We formed a council where each clan had an equal voice. We wish to put the Dark Times of the old Dominion behind this quadrant in a similar way, and unite to reach a new level of ascendancy as equals.

Katsim: And that is surely worthwhile.

The Lost One: Indeed, and the intention behind the UDP.

Basilia: Response

Greaves: Only time will tell, but it’s been a rough start.

That was certainly true. A single battlecruiser cavorting with pirates was no United Earth, or Vulcan High Command, or even a Coalition of Planets. However, if she was to take the Cenobians at their word, the crew of the battlecruiser -- this new United Dominion of Planets -- had already done some good in the region.

She simply didn't know what to think, and remained quiet for a moment.

Aparius: If the forming of this Union will be respected, It would seem we have no further business with the Federation. You are permitted to stay within our territory as long as needed to get your affairs in order. Vorta, we will start preparations to have Cenobians supplement your crew. Go in Peace.

V'Airu: And you.

However, her voice wasn't strong, and the comm channel with the Cenobian ship closed before she could formulate any better response. She sighed, softly. Regardless of how she felt about this UFD, the situation had moved on, and would continue to move.

Katsim: Perhaps…the rest of our crew could be returned to us?

Basilia: Response

Greaves: It would be appreciated.

The Lost One: We have no reason to keep your people here against their will. Our meeting has been successful.

Vorta: Indeed, more than we could have hoped. (beat, with a slight bow to the screen) We thank you for your attention, Commodore and crew, and we apologize again that we needed to resort to subterfuge for this first meeting.

Subterfuge! Is that what the Vorta called abduction? Ossa let go a soft snort, but kept her face impassive.

The Lost One: I hope the next time we meet it will be under… new circumstances.

V'Airu: As do I. Go in peace.

She echoed the Cenobian's final line, hoping that it would land well with the UFD representatives. A moment later, Major Greaves and Ensign Basilia appeared on the bridge.

Basilia: Response

Vomek: Welcome back Major, Ensign.  Good to have you aboard.

V'Airu: Congratulations on a successful mission, and welcome to Oumuamua.

After a fashion, at least. Greaves and his team had recovered Kells, although apparently they could have also simply asked. A very strange thought.

Greaves: Good to be back ma’am. Any word on Lieutenant Kel or Commodore Kells? They both were injured.

Vomek:  I'm not sure sir, it looks like they've activated the EMH.

Which was a good sign, in Ossa's mind. The EMH was the most capable physician on the ship at the moment, with no disrespect meant to Kel or Toz. But neither of them knew the Oumuamua's sickbay, and there were only a handful of officers and crew aboard with medical knowledge, since none of the sickbay staff was a part of the mission.

Katsim/Cabrillo/Basilia: Responses

Vorta: We hope for their speedy recovery.

Ossa gave a start. For a moment, she'd forgotten that the comm channel was still open. A shocking tactical oversight -- but perhaps not, with a new ally. Or was that thinking too wishful.

V’Airu: Thank you. (beat) I am sure we'll meet again.

Vorta: No doubt. As you said, go in peace.

At long last, the comm channel closed, and Ossa relaxed back into her seat. She was aware, suddenly, of how sweaty she had become, either because of the heat bleed from earlier or because of the situation. Both, likely.

Ulasso: Navigation sensors, impulse and warp drive are ready. I can take us out of here whenever we need. Standing by.

Vomek:  All systems green.  Where are we heading next ma'am?

V'Airu: Home. Tractor the Thor, ensure it and its crew are secure, and then maximum warp for the wormhole. (beat) Go.

END SCENE and MISSION for V'Airu!
--
Commodore Ossa V'Airu
Commanding Officer