Ensign Ulasso- A Site For Saurian Eyes

1 view

Uncle Waldo

May 22, 2022, 5:32:14 PM5/22/22
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

((Holodeck 2, Deck 6, USS Oumuamua))

Ulasso made his way down Parliament street alongside Ensign Kessler. The setting was Toronto, Canada in the year 1901 on ancient earth.  All Ulasso had wanted to do on Earth with his downtime was go fishing. He had found out that the bay area around StarFleet Academy was one of the best fishing spots around. Instead, he had been dragged into one of Kel's holo-mysteries. The man seemed obsessed with the stories, and even wrote his own programs.

Ulasso had only agreed to participate in the end when  V'Len   had told him Kessler had agreed to participate. Ulasso felt a new found kinship with the man after they had served on the bridge of the submersed Thor under Major Greaves. He respected the man's tactical skill, and was curious to learn more about him.

Saurian's had a predisposition to community, and Ulasso had been lacking it since his sister's death. He had left home and not looked back, often shutting himself off from others. V'Len was the only friend he had made since the time, however for the first time since leaving home, he considered that he may have found a new community among his crewmates from the Thor. After what they had gone through together in the last mission, he was at least willing to give it a chance.

Ulasso had to admit, he did look rather dashing. He was wearing a three piece suit, bowler hat, had a large monocle over one of his eyes, and puffed on a tobacco pipe. It was however, a frigid January afternoon and Ulasso wished he had considered dressing more for warmth and less for style. He saw V'Len sitting on a bench at the crossroads.

Ulasso: Hello there, old friend.

Kessler: Response

Kel: You made it. Thanks for joining me.

Ulasso: You both owe me a day out fishing on the bay for going through with this. And a brandy.

Kessler: Response

They walked quickly down the street to a hotel.  The warmth of the lobby was a welcome relief from the cold day.  Two constables were interviewing guests.  A third walked quickly up to them.

Constable Higgins:  This way sirs.  The body was found in room 220.

V'Len: What can you tell us?

Ulasso knew  V'Len 's stories always started with a death, a mystery of how it happened would follow.

Ulasso: We were told a dead body is on the premises.

Kessler: Response

Higgins:  The man's wallet says his name is Sean Donovin.  He was found about 3:15 this afternoon by the cleaner.  No signs that someone broke in and there's a needle and syringe next to him along with a note.

V'Len: Suicide?

Ulasso: Seems...::glancing towards Kel:: too simple. In my *limited* experience as a detective, it's never that easy.

Ulasso knew  V'Len  wouldn't be happy that he was toeing the line of "meta-gaming" as Kel had referred to it, but if he was going to have to suffer this nonsense Kel better put up with it.

Kessler: Response

Higgins:  We suspect so, but we wanted to have a detective confirm it.

They walked into the room.  As described it was tidy with the dead man lying on the bed.  From the look of it Sean Donovin was young, probably not even out of his 20s.  There was a Bible on the nightstand next to him which looked well used.  Beside that there was a framed picture of a young woman.

V'Len: ::Turning to Ulasso and Kessler:: Gentleman let's see what we can find.

Ulasso looked around the room with his large Saurian eyes. He knew how this worked, he would have to try and find some clue the Constable had missed. The Constable had mentioned no obvious signs of a break in...however, ah yes there it was. There was a large fireplace in the room, and near the burnt out logs and ashes on the ground he had noticed something.

Ulasso: I see something by the fireplace, I'm going to take a look.

Kessler: Response

V'Len: Constable let me see that note.

As V'Len looked over the note, Ulasso stopped down next to the fireplace and pulled a magnifying  glass from his suit. He inspected the ground near the fireplace. It appeared to him that ashes had been tracked out of the fireplace, and then an attempt had been made to clean them up. The thing about ash was however, it was hard to get rid of all the evidence. To Ulasso, it looked like it may have been a trail from the fireplace to the victim.

Ulasso: It looks like oOthinking trying to remember the name of the Earth folk taleOo Satan Claws missed a house on Swiss-Miss and had to make a return visit.

Kessler: Response

Ulasso: Really? I thought it was Satan Claws for sure. Anyways, it looks like there may have been entry from the Chimney.

Kessler/V'Len: Responses

Ulasso: Well, V'Len what does the note say then?

Kessler/V'Len: Responses

Detective Ulasso,
(HCO) Officer
USS Thor