Lt. Cmdr Alex Brodie "Suspicious Packages"

Alexander Brodie

Apr 10, 2021, 2:01:13 PM4/10/21
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

“Suspicious Packages”

((Brodie’s Quarters, Deck Five, USS Thor))

((OOC: Captain’s original speech edited slightly to reflect Glass’ removal from the lists))

Alex was laid on the sofa in his quarters, reading; The Romance of the Three Kingdoms. A romanticised history of ancient China between the end of the Han and start of the Jin dynasties. It was real history, by and large, as were the players in the various dramas throughout. The idea, however, of Zhuge Liang praying to summon the East Wind at the Battle of Chibi was just one example of definite artistic licence. The most glaring error was that there were no kings…surely it should be the Romance of the Three Empires?

The door chime sounded and pulled Alex from his musing as he pulled himself to his feet. He slipped on his jacket but left it unfastened as he moved to the door and pressed the release.

Sitting on the floor was a small box – no one in sight around it. He picked it up and brought it, carefully, into his quarters and placed it on the table. He regarded it suspiciously as he leaned in to open the lid.

Brodie: Well, it’s not my birthday…and it doesn’t seem to be ticking.

He flipped open the top and lifted out what appeared to be half a dozen freshly replicated uniforms, neatly pressed and perfectly folded. The colour was different to what he’d been expecting but, as he wasn’t expecting them at all, that wasn’t really a problem. He picked out the PADD on top of the pile.

Broide: Lieutenant Commander Brodie…blah…blah…blah…consolidation of manufacture…diddly-doo…diddly-doo…difficulties with coding for additional replicator patterns…skip to the end…blue replaces teal for all medical and counselling personnel. Fine.

He placed the PADD down and started to unbundle the uniforms into his supply locker. The comm. chime, not to be outdone by the door in the contest for ‘most surprising noise’ competition made its presence felt.

Kells: =/\= This is Captain Kells. I know that nearly all of you have returned to begin the Thor's next mission, and your department heads will brief you soon on what it will entail. Before we move on, I want you to take a moment and join me in recognizing the efforts of the senior staff. =/\=

So, another spin of the wheel – he wondered what delights awaited them on the next mission. Hopefully something less murderous in intent than Anroc.

Kells: =/\= First, the Captain's Commendation. I want to recognize two exemplary members of the crew: Captain Greaves and Ensign Jehe. Captain Greaves was thrust into multiple positions of leadership during our last mission, and he rose with distinction to every occasion. You may rest assured that, if you ever find yourself under his command, you're in good hands. The same is true of Ensign Jehe, whose adaptability and multi-expertise I witnessed myself on the Zet world. If those two officers were to join forces, well. (beat, slight smile) There's no problem they couldn't tackle. (another beat) Captain and Ensign, your replicators have been pre-programmed to replicate your Commendations. They should be there for you now. =/\=

That was certainly a novel approach. The rewards thoroughly merited though and he was pleased to see Jehe getting the nod. He was, however, slightly concerned as to what would happen if those officers did, in fact, join forces.

Kells: =/\= Ensign Dar has received Captain's Commendations herself, and due to her excellent and lifesaving actions in the past, I'm with you now. I want to recognize her today with the Legion of Merit, in recognition of her subtle, tactical mind and her knowledge of the Gamma Quadrant and the historical operation of the Dominion and other groups here. Her experience and knowledge proved, as always, invaluable. =/\=

Alex nodded as he continued to hang his new jackets. Dar had put forward some solid input to the initial briefing and, while he hadn’t seen her from then until she’s come by his office, it sounded like she’d given a good account of herself.

Kells: =/\= This mission also presented us with more technical and technological hurdles than I expected, given that it began with a radio mayday that had only accidentally made it into subspace. Yet again, we were able to succeed because of our deep well of technical experience and knowledge, contained in two very able people: Lieutenant Sirok and Commander Teller. For their work in the rescue and protection of the Endless Golden Penetrator and their ongoing exemplary work, I award them both the Innovation Ribbon. =/\=

Brodie moved onto the undershirts now and it came as no surprise to him that the ships resident ‘tinkerers’ had come up with something innovative. Like the shirts he was folding, they underpinned everything – both as engineers and as senior officers.

Kells: =/\= Speaking of Commander Teller, I next want to recognize him and Doctor Quen with the Silver Star. It isn't easy to seek risk and danger for the sake of others' safety, but that's what both volunteered to do on the surface of the mostly-unknown Zet homeworld. I would expect nothing less of either of them, and I would only remind them that, as their captain, I expect them to always come home safely. =/\=

Quen, like Dar, had been part of the original briefing he’d been at – working on contingencies – but he hadn’t seen her since. He really should check in on her.

Kells: =/\= Much of the mission's action happened on the Zet world or aboard the Endless Golden Penetrator. Yet I myself owe special thanks to some excellent, professional work that occurred right here on the Thor. (beat) I won't belabor this point, but I will thank Counselor Brodie, and recognize him with the Unity Ribbon. =/\=

The replicator, a late entrant to the on-going contest between appliances in Brodie’s quarters, made the characteristic swirling noise of matter forming from nothing and then a small box appeared a few inches above the base plate. Said box then fell from the replicator to the table below the unit and finally from the table to the floor.

Alex could see the ribbon glinting as the box sprung open – a mix of deep what looked like deep aqua, purple and silver. He’d get it in a moment but he felt privileged to have received it…even if it was for just doing his job.

Kells: =/\= I've spoken now of knowledge and experience, and so it seems only fitting that two of your department heads have now served long enough in those posts for recognition with the Department Chief Ribbon, which is given only to those officers who have led their departments for a minimum of six months. Chief Sirok has been a fine administrator and an even finer engineer, and Captain Greaves has recently agreed to take on the leadership of security and tactical in addition to his leadership of the Thor's marine detachment. We are extremely lucky to have them both. =/\=

Brodie moved onto the trousers. Greaves was definitely going to be wearing them now – although like Teller he couldn’t think of any finer lead protector for the Thor.

Kells: =/\= I also want to recognize an unexpected arrival. Ensign Richards was not expected to join us at the conclusion of our mission -- in fact, we weren't even supposed to be in the Gamma Quadrant for as long as we were. But already he has become an integral member of this crew, as evidenced by his exemplary conduct during the mission's conclusion and the rescue of Captain Greaves and Ensign Katsim from the crashed shuttle Odin, earning himself the Good Conduct Ribbon. =/\=

Aside from the briefest of meetings on the surface of Vulcan, and the slight drama at the museum, Brodie had barely spoken to their newest arrival. He’d need to check in before they left – make sure he was settling okay.

Kells: =/\= So much of what a crew does is as a unit, and so I want to finish this presentation of service ribbons with those given to the whole senior staff. Those who participated in the previous mission were Commander Teller, Lieutenant Commanders Garcia and Brodie, Lieutenants Alieth, Quen, Sirok, and Lovar, Captain Greaves, and Ensigns Dar, Katsim, Jehe, and Richards… =/\=

There was a lingering pause…

Brodie: ::Shaking his head:: And yourself Aron...

Kells: =/\= Oh. And me. (beat) All of the officers named receive the First Contact, Diplomacy, and Peacekeeper Ribbons, for actions including initial contact with the Zet, the rescue of the Endless Golden Penetrator, and the granting of asylum to Zet refugees. =/\=

Brodie was ready this time and caught the three boxes as they fell, one after the other towards the floor. He came up juggling the three – when had he last done this? He’d certainly done it enough for Dani when she’d been little but not much since. Smiling he tossed the boxes – one, two, three – onto the soft cushions. Then he bent down, smiling, and picked up the original arrival. Life should have more absurd frivolity.

Kells: =/\= I'll conclude with a promotion. I have already praised this officer once, and I'll add simply that she impressed me from the moment she arrived, when I asked her for an impromptu briefing of goings-on across the entire fleet. She didn't choke and provided me one of the best intelligence briefings of my career -- and this for her first time out as a new ensign! But she's not a new ensign any longer. I'm proud to recognize Jehe Saja as the Thor's newest lieutenant, junior grade. Congratulations, Lieutenant -- and congratulations to all of you. I won't waste time on platitudes, and I will say, honestly, that without all of you, I would not be here today. I owe you my life, many times over. You give me that gift, every day you serve. Thank you. (beat) Computer, close channel. =/\=

Brodie kept smiling, a richly deserved promotion for Jehe and definitely moving her up a shoe-size.

He was worried a little about Kells though. Was he avoiding the crew? The list almost felt like a will being read – ‘To Commander Teller I bequeath my vintage vinyl and my autographed Grand Nagus Collectors card’. He’d need to check back with Kells, as agreed, but wondered if he’d been able to reach out to some of his former commanders. He was still up to the job, Brodie was sure of that, but something about his voice just seemed…hesitant…tired maybe?

He walked to the cabinet and pulled out a glass and a bottle – a Bunnahabhain twenty-five, the distillery still going over five-hundred years later. But then, why change a winning formula?

He looked out of the window and could see Vulcan in orbit below, he took a sip and felt the lightly peated flavour fill his mouth and nose. It wouldn’t be long now.

Brodie: Now…bring me that horizon.

[[END]]

Lt. Cmdr. Alexander Brodie
Chief Counselor