Lt. Johnson & Lt. Salo - "Working Together"

Amanda Nordstrom

Dec 5, 2021, 11:09:10 PM12/5/21
to USS Thor

OOC: did this in a two parter because otherwise I felt like I had to write two separate posts...so hopefully it makes sense the way I did it. :-D

(( Main Engineering, Deck 18, USS Thor ))

Johnson: Dammit!

Sasha swore softly at the stupid plasma conduit and lifted her sonic screwdriver as if she might smack the thing to bits using it, but then lowered her makeshift weapon before lifting it again, that time just shaking it like an overly large finger, wagging back and forth in severe disappointment at the mechanics that were sputtering in frontn of her.

Johnson: If you don’t behave I’m going to pull you out and put you over my knee!

It was, of course, an idle threat.  Taking out the entire conduit along with the wires, nodes, and circuitry wouldn’t be impossible, per se, if given enough time, but it wasn’t exactly a good size and shape to put over her knee, and even if it was, where would it’s bottom be?  Besides, spankings likely wouldn’t have any effect as the machinery was more stubborn and moody than a sixteen year old girl on her period.

Kells: Lieutenant Johnson, report.

Sasha stopped waving the driver at the machinery and peered up.  And up.  And up.  Considering she was kneeling on the ground, she had to tilt her head farther back than normal and was awarded with the calm demeanor of the Commodore.

Johnson:  Aye, sir.

It was all work and no play at the moment.  Formality held sway, and even if he was Aron to her, she would certainly not refer to him by that name when officially on duty.

Johnson:  We’ve gone from about 12% power capability to 14%, but we’re working on re-establishing the main power grid and getting the main systems back online.  We’re currently mostly reliant on auxiliary systems and have enacted a power rationing.  Holodecks are offline, except for number two as requested, life support’s stable, but only critical systems and those specific requests from the bridge are getting power till we can get the main generators online again.  And warp is out of the question for now.

Kells: Very well. How can I help?

Despite the fact that she was still on the ground and he was hovering over her at his full height, Sasha managed to thrust a fist against her hip and give Commodore Aron Kells an eye.  He was a scientist at heart.  Well, now he was a commanding officer at heart, but also a scientist, and that didn’t always translate to engineering.

Johnson: Not sure you can fit in the Jeffries tubes, sir.  But if you want to check on the ladies in blue, they’ve been working hard on getting people back to work.

Sasha jerked the thumb of her currently non fisted hand over to the women in question.  Aron glanced over there and looked thoughtful a moment before finally responding.

Kells: I'll check in, and then I want a plasma torch, Lieutenant. (beat) Or whatever would be most helpful.

Sasha chuckled and nodded.

Johnson: All right, whatever floats your boat.

And technically, it *was* his boat...Aron walked off and Sasha turned back to wrestle with the plasma conduit.

******

Nesre’s first thought when going to the Academy was to be a medical doctor.  She had even gone so far as to get all the way through her undergrad portion, taken the medical track, and even gone so far as to graduate and work her first year only to discovery that as much as she loved helping tend the physical, there was something about helping her patients with the mental and emotional aspects that tugged even more strongly.  As such, she returned for another two and a half years to become a full fledged counselor.

That being said, there were some advantages with the decisions she had made.  Despite still feeling very much called as a counselor, Nesre was glad she had the skills and knowledge to assist medically when times called for it.   It allowed her to serve her fellow crewmembers in more than one way, and she was always grateful for the opportunity.  That was how she found herself down in Engineering after a rather intense collision with...something.

Salo: I’m not sure what’s going on, right now.  I’ve basically heard rumours and I can’t verify the authenticity of anything, so I’d rather not pass along false information.

Aiya: Well, I know something hit us, or we rammed something. You do know about physical contact, right doc-

Something, likely her pain, cut Aiya off.  Nesre nodded, then reached out to gently touch the shoulder of the arm that was not broken.  Despite the pain she was in, Aiya was insistent.

Aiya: I’m fine!

Toz: Yes, you are. Now, I’m going to do a bio scan and find out just how fine you are. And since I’m not letting you up just yet, you have the time to let me do my job.

Without even waiting to be asked, Nesre reached into the medical kit and took out a tricorder.  As she did so, another member of the engineering team arrived and knelt down to speak to Aiya, giving her an update on the systems.  Auxiliary systems were online, but damage and main systems were a mess - much like the klingon who was so eager to get back to them.  Glancing over at Toz, Nesre noted a hint of fear cross over her face, just for an instant, then it was gone again and the good doctor focused on her patient.
Toz: Ahh.. One of your ribs got shaken around, scrapped that third lung you have. Nothing to worry about but you might feel a little pain now and again.

It was, it seemed, good enough for the Klingon to get back to work and Doctor Toz reached out a hand to help the engineer to her feet.  Aiya, proud woman that she was, rose without assistance.

Aiya: Does anyone have any idea what actually happened? I’ll take an updated damage report if there is one. Lets work on getting full comms backup, internal and external. Lets see what we are dealing with.

There were calls of assent from the other engineering officers who were obviously encouraged at the sight of the Klingon now back on her feet.

Toz: At this point, I know as much as you do. I do knew this place is a mess.

Salo: Indeed, but just as you are a doctor of people, they are doctors of ships.  They’ll fix her up.

Determined to do just that, Aiya started off by giving an update to the commander in chief.

Aiya: =/\= Engineering to bridge. =/\=

Bridge: =/\=response=/\=

Aiya: =/\= Petty Officer Aiya here, We’re still picking up the pieces down here. You have 14% power restored, and most of auxiliary. Its safe to run two systems fully at the most, but certainly no transporters or weapons. We’re still working to get comms restored. Please update us on what actually happened, we will try to work the problem from here. Engineering out. =/\=

No transporters, except for emergency use, Nesre assumed. Hopefully, that wouldn’t be necessary.  Sparks flew from a nest of wires nearby and both Nesre and Toz stepped away at the same time, an almost choreographed motion.  With most of her injuries tended to and medicine coursing through her system, Aiya was functioning far better now and grabbed a tool kit and, despite the tractor on her arm to continue to aid healing, moved into a jeffries tube with great determination.

Toz: You be careful! I don’t want to see you in sickbay later telling me that you’ve hurt yourself even worse.

Aiya: I’ll be fine doctors!

She then disappeared, complaining and yelling as she went into the tube, her voice echoing deeper every second.  Nesre chuckled softly and shook her head.

Salo: Ah, such dedication.

Toz: My father was like that. ::tilting her head:: Klingon’s just have no idea what injured means.

Salo: Your father?

From what she gleaned from that tidbit of information, Toz’s father was Klingon?  Yet she bore no Klingon features.  Well now, that was interesting.

Toz: Thanks for helping out. I understand you’re a counselor?

Salo: I am, though I also have a medical degree - and I keep up with it.

It came in useful at other times too.  Normally, if counselors wanted to prescribe medication, they would have to work with a medical doctor.  Nesre was both, but always checked in with the chief counselor. S he also only gave medication when absolutely necessary, preferring more natural means first - as well as techniques and working on ways to process and heal without the use of medication.  That being said, there was a time and a place for it, and she was grateful for it.

Toz: ::nodding in agreement:: On duty all the time. Meanwhile, we .. rather, I need to get back to sickbay.  There should be a ton of work to do there. Engineering isn’t the only department to get it’s rear upended.

Salo: I’ll join you.  It sounds like it’s all hands on deck, and I’m not exactly being utilised at the moment.

Nesre much preferred to be useful.  Sitting and waiting for people to come to her after the fact was, certainly, something she could do, but why be idle when she could contribute?

A brief check revealed that as they had worked on Aiya, others from sickbay had come to retrieve the last of the wounded and transport them to sickbay.  For the moment, that was where all the patients were currently.  Before either of them actually started to move off, however, a large figure approached - that of the Commodore.  Nesre quickly bobbed her head politely to him.

Kells: Lieutenant Salo, Ensign Toz. I understand that there were some injuries down here?

Salo: Yes sir, but Doctor Toz has the situation well in hand.

Nesre cast a smile toward the new crewmember.  She seemed very level headed, though still tired, she was sure.  The woman had been working hard.

Toz: Response

Kells: But not serious? I don't want to have anyone out of commission -- but I don't want anyone at a post who should be resting, either.

Toz: Response

Salo: Those that were too injured to work have been transported to sickbay.

Fingers splayed toward the lift.  As they had worked on Aiya, others had, indeed, either been treated and were now back at work,  or taken back to the main medical hub of the ship in order to receive further treatment.

Kells/Toz: Response

Salo: Sir, perhaps you could give us an update as to what’s happening?  It seems we experienced a collision of sorts?

Bits and pieces of information had been given just from listening to those around her, but Sickbay had been busy treating its wounded, and they’d been busy treating the wounded in Engineering to really assess the current situation.

Kells/Toz: Response

How very odd. There had been some strange happenings, of course, and Nesre was sure she would have some good, interesting reading of the reports once all was said and done, but for the moment, she was determined to be of some help.  There was the obvious, of course, take care of the injured, but if Kells needed help in other ways, she was willing, and Nesre was pretty certain Toz would be willing as well.

Salo: Is there anything we can do to be of assistance?

Kells/Toz: Response

--
Lt. Sasha Johnson
Engineering Officer