Ensign Jack Kessler A Holographic Murder Twisted

1 view

can...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2022, 10:53:38 AM6/1/22
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

((Holodeck 2, Deck 6, USS Oumuamua))

Jack knew that Hannah had thought this was suicide but he was now leading them onto the trail that they might suspect someone else involved. Jack hoped this would bore more body language that would help him decided if these two were still suspects.

John looked up at the ceiling for a moment as if in thought.  Then he sighed.

John:  As I said his businesses were suffering.  It's possible he borrowed money from the wrong sort of people.

V'Len:  Hannah and John, if I could.  Did Sean have any nicknames he used for you?  I occasionally call my sister Rose, though her name is Rosro.

Hannah:  No.  Growing up our parents were very traditional.  I guess you'd say we weren't encouraged to have "fun".  It was always Hannah and John.  We always called him Sean.

V'Len:  John, you mentioned your brother had trouble telling time, what did you mean by that.

John:  ::frustrated::  He couldn't read a watch or a clock. If it was dinner time he'd tell you it was 10 am.  If you asked him in the morning how long until lunch, he had no idea.  I'm not even sure he knew what day of the week or year it was.  That's probably why he was having business difficulties, he had a hard time keeping track of things

Hannah nodded in agreement with her brother's assessment.

Jack remained silent here. Standing in the background noting subtle shifts in body language and in the vocal tones and pitches of these two. Jack was not sure about Hannah, but John was hiding something. His voice inflictions changed too many times for a distraught individual.

Ulasso: That sounds...frustrating. Yet you mention he didn't know what year it was. Curious as his note had the incorrect year listed. Perhaps his mental faculties were failing him.

V'Len:  ::turning to John:: I'm sorry to say it Mr. Donovin, but we will need to have you come to the city morgue to confirm the identity of your brother's body.  We can meet you there in a few hours.

Excusing himself, John turned to go upstairs to dress himself.

V'Len:  ::turning to Hannah::  Before we go, could we bother you for some tea, its frigid out there.

Hannah pulled herself together and left the room to comply.  She seemed happy to have something to do rather than sit and remember her brother.

V'Len:  I have some definite suspicions about John Donovin, but right now I can't justify taking him in.  We could ask to examine his room, but I'm not sure how we'd justify it and given Sean's death by lethal injection we're unlikely to find evidence.  No other weapon, no bloody clothes.  We need a motive.

Jack: I agree V’Len. His body language is off and he is hiding something. But there is a lack of evidence at the moment, motive too as you said.

Ulasso: I don't like people that aren't punctual, but I would say it's a far stretch to kill a man over tardiness. We know he was having money troubles, and that his note said to look for god for answers. Perhaps the two are related?

V'Len:  Those are fair points.  What do we make of the fact that Sean seemed to have such a horrible concept of time, but included a time in his "suicide note"?

Jack: That certainly does not add up here.

Ulasso: If the man was being forced to write the note somehow, maybe he was trying to hide another message in it, similar to the one in the bible without being detected. It makes me wonder what they could have on him to force him to do so however...possibly someone threatening his family?

V'Len:  Also, why did Sean address the letter to "Jena, Sis and John"?  Why not "Jena, Hannah and John" or "Jena and Family"?

Jack: I was wondering the same thing. Could Sis have been on purpose, another clue or indicator as to the killer?

Ulasso: I am at a loss V'Len. Do you think these holo people have any brandy to put in the tea? I know it won't be Saurian Brandy, but any hot toddy might make this cold more bearable.

V'Len: Responses

The sound of footsteps, along with the clattering of teacups on a tray interrupted their conversation. Hannah had reentered the room with a tray containing 3 cups of tea.

Hannah: Do any of you take Sugar?

Ulasso: No, but do you have any Brandy Mamm?

Hannah: Sorry, but not at the moment. Also, shouldn't you try and be clear headed to try and solve my brother's death?

Ulasso: You are right mamm, sorry about that:: under his breath quietly:: I should have gone to Bora-Bora.

V'Len: Responses

At that, the loud sounds of John bounding down the stairs announced his arrival. The man was now wearing a long black, almost dress like garment that he assumed was the uniform of an apothecary worker for the time.

John: Well, let's get to the morgue then, I've got work again tomorrow.

Jack: ::sitting his tea down and picking up his hat:: I’ll get the carriage over her.

Jack put his hat on and pulled his gloves on bracing for the chilly weather outside.

V'Len: Responses

Ulasso wasn't in a rush to get into the freezing cold again.

Ulasso:  I'm enjoying this tea and fire for the moment, and well, Sean won't be getting any deader right? Let's stay and finish the tea.

John: I'm of the mind to throw you out on the curb for that comment, son. We are leaving my house, now.

Ulasso: Fine...but I'm taking this...and borrowing this.

As the four men made their way to the morgue Jack studied John from his shoes to the costume he wore. The man carried himself well and appeared to pride himself on neatness. The mans black shoes showed that they had been cared for but were well used. Not surprising for this time. However, the on the inside of John’s right foot just at the shoe line his black sock was gray in color. Jack spent a good portion of the ride considering all the possibilities and how common dirty socks probably were in this period.

As they arrived and entered the morgue Jack took up the tail or flanking position in line. Something in his gut had him questioning John further but he was not sure why. The four made their way into the room where the coroner had laid out Sean’s body with a full white sheet draped on the deceased. As V’Len and Ulasso stepped up near the body with John, Jack held back, removing his hat and he slowly started to look around the room but kept an unsuspecting watchful eye on John.

Jack stepped passed a table in the room trying to get a better look at John’s face as the sheet was pulled back but a medical report on the table caught Jack’s attention. He paused and picked it up. There were several notes taken about the body but what caught Jack’s eye was the note about the syringe and the contents. Bitter Cascara, Jack had no idea what that was but figured it had to be a poison of some type considering it was after all in the murder weapon.

Jack had missed the expression on John’s face while looking at the report but the look on his face now was unusual. Jack expected to see pain of some sort but instead the man just stood there, eyeing the deceased as if a mental conversation was taking place. His eyes narrowed once or twice and his lips firmed up and then relaxed as if he was about to say something and pulled back.

Jack stepped around the room a little more just to continue the motion and act as if he was giving John time to morn his little brother. A picture hanging on the wall caught Jacks eye and he stopped looking at the painting. A beautiful, wooded scene that depicted hundreds of different types of animals all gathered together in the same small area. A man, in the nude sat in front of all the animals. Jack had no idea what this painting was either, but it captured his attention.

Kessler: ::turning to the coroner:: Sir, may I ask what this painting is? ::pointing back over his shoulder at the art work.

Coroner: That my son is a depiction from the book of Genesis, this tells the story of Adam being given the task of naming all the creatures God had created.

Kessler: Thank you sir.

Jack turned back to the painting. What a task this man had been given, to name all the creatures of a planet. First Jack thought about how long that must have taken, and second Jack realized that by doing this act Adam was given the first assignment, he was tasked with putting everything in it’s place. Third Jack ::turning to the rest of the group:: realized that there was much more about the religious concepts in the bible that he needed to explore and this book Genesis sounded very interesting.

Jack’s brain froze and he turned back to the painting ever so slowly. oO Genesis….Genesis…Jenna, ‘Sis’. Oo

Kessler: Detectives? ::motioning V’Len and Ulasso over to him – leaning in very quietly:: Ulasso, do you still have the bible from Sean’s room? I think the note calling to Jenna, Sis and John was actually pointing to the bible book of Genesis.

V'Len/Ulasso: Response

Tags

Ensign Jack Kessler

Tactical Officer