MSNPC - Deputy Director of Daily Operations Saulan Ket’han - A bad sci-fi history

Sirok son of S'Vek

Jan 13, 2021, 3:08:11 PM1/13/21
to sb118...@googlegroups.com
((Management & Oversight Center - Endless Golden Penetrator))

With mere clicks left until intercept, Nenni and Saulan were the only crew in the management center. Silently they waited together wondering what might happen next when suddenly a bright shimmering light filled the front of the massive room. Vaguely Zetenoid shapes began materializing inside the shimmering light. Raising to their full height off their back spurs, the two sprinted to a table and flipped it on its side to take cover.  Whispering softly, Nenni turned to Saulan.

Nokzu: Have you ever heard of technology like that?

Saulan: Teleportation? That is impossible, according to the Ughadez law a particle cannot be converted into data to be reintegrated. It has only been seen in interactive entertainment stories, without any scientific basis. And those are things for children or people who live with their mothers.

Anxiety was obvious in their tone, those tiny beings were defying the laws of physics. Or almost worse, they knew much more about them, which turned the Zet into mere insects. She still tried to speak quietly so that only her partner could hear her.

Nokzu: Dear Klin’thu, these might be real aliens… (pause) Be ready for anything my friend.

Saulan: They have to be. Did you see? They only have two eyes, they must be practically blind. And they're short, and they don't have flosflus. Or maybe it's that fine thing that grows on the top of their head and over their eyes. Perhaps the color indicates their social status? :: If so, the two with the red color should be the superior ones. Although he quickly lost attention when he saw those tiny hands. :: 5 fingers.... 5 very small and thin fingers...

Nenni unholstered a small handheld device with a tiny protruding metal barrel and kept it pointed toward the ground. Peaking from the corner of the table, she watched as the creatures began making noises to one another.

Teller:  I heard stories of Orion Slavemasters who us̶̯̅̈́ed to display material wealth like this as a form of...bragg̵̱̀̓ing. Showing off to the others. I think whoever designed this place ̶̠̬́had them all beat. You two getting any readings?

Alieth:  Indeed. I pick up several biological signals, but the external conditions and the vessel's alloys render them difficult to track down

Jehe:  Response

Teller:  Damn, if spin-ĝ̵̛͈ravity is failing it's going to make our job that much harder. Ensign Jehe, start setting up those pattern enhancers. There seems to be plenty of space. Doctor, let’s see if we can find ạ̷̼̅n interface for the ships computer. If there is one.

Jehe:  Response

Alieth: Yes, Sir.

Nenni turned back to her friend, her eyes wide after watching the short pink and harry things on her ship. As she moved, the object in her hand collided ever so gently against the table and a soft metal clank resounded throughout the compartment.

Geoff's head snapped around, a flash of movement on the very edge of his peripheral vision.  On the other side of the room, crouched down behind an overturned table, something had tried to sneak a glimpse at them.

Teller: Greetings. We're responding to your distress call. Can you understand me?

Nokzu: (rising to her feet) I… I understand you. How… is this possible? Who are you?

Saulan looked on in astonishment, he had seen simultaneous translators, but the result was erratic, to say the least.

Teller:  My name is Commander Geoffrey Teller, from the Federation Starship Thor.  We're here to help you.  ::Geoff tried to be diplomatic::  Nice..uh...nice ship you've got here.

Still a few meters away from the group, the Vulcan's face contracted in a small grimace at the human's choice of words. Meanwhile, the creature blinked her six eyes simultaneously.

Nokzu: And I am Acting Shipmaster Nenni Nokzu. The UMF sent you to our aid? I’m sorry, I don’t exactly understand.

Saulan: Saulan, Deputy Director of Daily Operations.

Teller/Jehe: Response

Alieth: (noddind) We are here to help

For a moment, the tall creatures remained silent.

Nokzu: You said you’re here to help. Saulan can describe the damage we have, but our biggest issue right now is fuel. Does your ship have any to spare?

Saulan: In addition, our oxygen reserves are at a minimum due to all the breaches. As you may have noticed the rotation system for the stay has failed, which can lead to failures in secondary systems. We're trapped near the edge, so if we don't move we may have more damage, at times.

Teller/Jehe: Response?

Alieth: What about the rest of the crew? Are there any wounded among you? Have you moved them to the sick bay?

That there were more crew members alive on board was something the Vulcan had no doubt about. After all, the presence of numerous life forms aboard the Golden Penetrator had been confirmed by the Thor's sensors, which had a much greater range than any tricorder they carried.

Teller/Jehe/Nokzu: Response?

With about half of the information they needed exposed, their commanding officer resolved to report the situation to the Captain.

Teller: =/\= Response =/\=

Kells: =/\= Kells. Go ahead. =/\=

Teller: =/\= Response =/\=

Kells: =/\= Hear you loud and clear, Commander. We're prepping for beamover now. Will join you in a moment. Kells, out. =/\=

While the conversation was taking place, the doctor approached one of the crew members of the strange ship and began to analyze her body.

Alieth: (muttering to herself) Copper-based Hemolymph blood. Complex muscular-skeletal system with chitinous complement both internally and externally, overall structure similar to the Andorian one, except for the cupric foundation...

Saulan: We are similar to what?

Saulan said approaching who he thought was the lowest caste of the three guests at the Penetrator, a biological analysis technician or something like that. Letting Alieth see a laceration on one of his long arms. The Deputy Director of Daily Operations had not even had time to notice it.

Alieth: Can I take care of that (by extracting a dermal regenerator from her medkid) if I may?

Saulan: Ehm... Will you do it for free?

The Vulcan leaned back to work on the alien. She had barely begun to tread on the chitinous surface when the hissing of the medical device was almost silenced by the noise of the second group's transport.

Any: Response

The Vulcan simply looked away from her patient for a short moment to greet the newcomers with a single nod.... and immediately return to what she was doing.

While his patient could not help but observe the arrival of what he thought were more technical, due to the color of his flosflus. Although one of them had very, very short flosflus, perhaps he had some sort of physical problem. Part of a corporate social responsibility campaign?

Katsim: Um.  Sir.

Any: Response

Katsim: There are...a lot of microscopic cracks in the hull.  We’ve got maybe an hour before this place isn’t safe any more.

That statement really made the tiny doctor raise her head.

Alieth: So we have no time to waste.

Katsim/Greaves/Sirok/Kells/Nokzu//Teller/Jehe: Response

Saulan: You can do what? Nokzu this being has to be kidding. It is not possible to emit energy in that way. It would also waste the fuel we have left.

Nokzu: response?

Sirok: response

Saulan: There are some hypotheses about that. Almost a bet after drinking a lot of liquid fun and disinhibition.

Nokzu: response?

Alieth: If you succeed in providing us with that extra time we will be able to send the Thor many more ::the Vulcan paused a moment before uttering the strange word:: Zets, but even so the chances of reaching all the trapped crew are less than 48.7%

Any: Response

Saulan was surprised, she was living a badly written tale for an interactive entertainment story. But she saw no other option but to trust them.

Kells/Teller: Response

The glint of a smile twinkled in the Vulcan's dark eyes as she stored what she had been using except for the tricorder in the briefcase that hung over her shoulder.

Alieth: That is granted sir. Turning to face her JOPA peers and friends:: Do not even dare to be injured. Particularly you, Mister Greaves.

Saulan returned to his post as soon as the doctor was done with his arm. Surprised that she was not in pain and that there was no scar. And she started typing on her console.

Any: Response

Alieth nodded silently and glanced at her away team leader. With the groups and missions well determined and arranged, each with their designated guide, they split up, each away team heading to a different part of the vessel.

Saulan: I have notified Shagge Rod'gurs, he will accompany you to where you want to go. And you'd better hurry, I think as you go through The Edge you've created a wave and it's coming

Any:

OOC: There are so many characters that I have decided to eliminate in almost all cases the tags for particular characters, and that we can fit all of them. I also try to help Alieth to separate us in groups and that it is not so complex to make a sim.

--

Saulan Ket’han

Deputy Director of Daily Operations

Endless Golden Penetrator